Spyder Garage

Default Which belt guard is more important - top, or both?

Bought a used 2008 GS, there are no belt guards on it. I see that Spyderpops sells the 'missing belt guard'. Is it more important to have the top guard, or shall I make sure to get both? Thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-11-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2008 GS SE5 , silver/black

Spyder Garage

Get both - it needs em. This was 2 weeks old and before I fitted an inner guard.

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msgoodwrench View Post
    Bought a used 2008 GS, there are no belt guards on it. I see that Spyderpops sells the 'missing belt guard'. Is it more important to have the top guard, or shall I make sure to get both? Thanks for your comments!
    Hi, I sent you a PM about your " ZERK " issue ..... As to the belt guard, adding one will provide " peace of mind ", .... IF a rock should get trapped ( not likely and if the top is smooth not ever ) in the top of the belt - I honestly can't think of anything BAD that this might cause, however that is not the case with the inside of that belt..... I made my own from 26ga. sheet metal, it's larger than what can be purchased and a bit closer to the belt. .... this was easy ( for me ) to make because I had access to a " Bending Brake " ..... before I made this I had already driven 36,000mi. on two different Spyders a GS & an RSS .... I live in Vermont and a lot of those miles were on GRAVEL roads..... I have the one I made on my2014 RT. .... It provides peace of mind - - - priceless..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-12-2022 at 12:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a pic of it. Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Here's the one I made of sheet metal. It's attached to the lower shocky bolt with a Z shaped bracket on the right and the left side is glued to the swing arm. It's still there after 13 years. I run a 205/55-15 tyre. The slightly narrower tyre give some clearance for the aftermarket inner belt (stone) guard, otherwise it can rub the sidewall.

Last edited by Freddy; 12-12-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sweet! Thanks for the design and specks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Get both - it needs em. This was 2 weeks old and before I fitted an inner guard.

Oh, oh, That pic almost looks like a dampener gone bad.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for replies! I have gotten both now, Ebay for the bottom one, and SpyderPops for the top. Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for replies! I have gotten both now, Ebay for the bottom one, and SpyderPops for the top. Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

msgoodwrench, My boyfriend and I just installed the Missing Belt Guard from Spyderpops on my 2023 F3 LTD Special. The Missing Belt Guard rubs on the rear tire when the bike is moving forward and in reverse, makes a slight rubbing sound on the rear tire. Have you had problems with your Missing Belt Guard on your spyder?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

A 205/55-15 solves that problem and is a better fit on the rim.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    A 205/55-15 solves that problem and is a better fit on the rim.
    Freddy,

What brand of tire?

My current mileage is: 1,025.

My boyfriend has the same thing happening on his 2023 S2S.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I think it's a Kumho at present. I've had a few brands on it and run it at 18psi for very even wear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    msgoodwrench, My boyfriend and I just installed the Missing Belt Guard from Spyderpops on my 2023 F3 LTD Special. The Missing Belt Guard rubs on the rear tire when the bike is moving forward and in reverse, makes a slight rubbing sound on the rear tire. Have you had problems with your Missing Belt Guard on your spyder?

Deanna
    Deanna this was a older post but your issue's should not be happening, something needs adjusting or you need to go to a skinner tire the wide slicks should not be hitting your guards! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Deanna this was a older post but your issue's should not be happening, something needs adjusting or you need to go to a skinner tire the wide slicks should not be hitting your guards! Good luck
    Mikey,

I know that this is in an "older thread. What do you think needs to be adjusted? When it comes time to change to a different/skinny tire. I know that the OEM tire should not be hitting the belt guard.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Mikey,

I know that this is in an "older thread. What do you think needs to be adjusted? When it comes time to change to a different/skinny tire. I know that the OEM tire should not be hitting the belt guard.

Deanna
    If it's still the OEM tire Deanna, (& since it's a new Spyder, then I'd guess that it is?! ) then the 'rubbing' you are experiencing is probably at least partly due to the (fairly high for the light load) air pressure you're running in the tire.

However, due to the lighter construction these OEM Kendas have in comparison to most other 'more normal' auto tires, the OEM Kenda tires do NEED the higher pressure indicated on your tire placard just for them to work safely, so I really wouldn't recommend you drop that too much, if at all!! But do be aware that you won't be gaining anything much by running any higher pressure than that shown on your Spyder's tire placard in the Kendas, as some are mistakenly inclined to do.... There's nothing to be gained from running any higher than recommended pressures in the Kendas except maybe even faster/greater wear; increased risk of tire damage due to hitting road debris or potholes; a harsher ride; less traction; increased suspension wear; and a few more things besides; with the only positive that I can think of right now being maybe an ever so slightly better fuel economy!

So I'd suggest that you stick with the Kenda's recommended air pressure until you swap it out, and I guess you'll just hafta put up with the rubbing until you do... sooner rather than later might be a good idea tho, not only to avoid destroying the belt guard, but also for SO many other reasons too! Fitting something like a 205/60R15 should see that rubbing and a bunch of other things discussed elsewhere suddenly become a WHOLE LOT better!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2023 at 05:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If it's still the OEM tire Deanna, (& since it's a new Spyder, then I'd guess that it is?! ) then the 'rubbing' you are experiencing is probably at least partly due to the (fairly high for the light load) air pressure you're running in the tire.

However, due to the lighter construction these OEM Kendas have in comparison to most other 'more normal' auto tires, the OEM Kenda tires do NEED the higher pressure indicated on your tire placard just for them to work safely, so I really wouldn't recommend you drop that too much, if at all!! But do be aware that you won't be gaining anything much by running any higher pressure than that shown on your Spyder's tire placard in the Kendas, as some are mistakenly inclined to do.... There's nothing to be gained from running any higher than recommended pressures in the Kendas except maybe even faster/greater wear; increased risk of tire damage due to hitting road debris or potholes; a harsher ride; less traction; increased suspension wear; and a few more things besides; with the only positive that I can think of right now being maybe an ever so slightly better fuel economy!

So I'd suggest that you stick with the Kenda's recommended air pressure until you swap it out, and I guess you'll just hafta put up with the rubbing until you do... sooner rather than later might be a good idea tho, not only to avoid destroying the belt guard, but also for SO many other reasons too! Fitting something like a 205/60R15 should see that rubbing and a bunch of other things discussed elsewhere suddenly become a WHOLE LOT better!

Just Sayin'
    Peter Aawen,

I changed the OEM tire on my 2014 RTS-SE6 @ 5,824 miles( the middle of the tire was not good, and I went with the General Altimax RT43 at the time). What brand of Tires have the size 205/60 R15 that have excellent ratings ( traction... Dry and Wet, hydroplaning, and etc.)?

Yes, the bike is brand new.

The tires are OEM.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

..... What brand of Tires have the size 205/60 R15 that have excellent ratings ( traction... Dry and Wet, hydroplaning, and etc.)?

Just bear in mind that I'm waaay over here in Oz while you're over there in the USA, so there may be some differences, but AFAIK pretty much ANY reputable brand of tire in a size that'll fit in the hole will have better ratings than the OEM Kendas & perform better all round on your Spyder. Brands like General, Yokohama, Toyo, Vredestein, Michelin, Goodyear, Cooper, Hankook, Rivken, Pirelli, and more ALL have tires that have been run successfully on Spyders over there by some if not many, and they are usually available in sizes and types that will work very well on your Spyder.

As for sizes, unless your local rules stipulate otherwise, you shouldn't have to stick to EXACTLY the same size tire shown on the tire placard - the general rule is that if you go down a size in width, you need to go up a size in profile to keep things fairly close to the same rolling diameter; but remember, those sidewall sizes are only NOMINAL sizes, and so are not necessarily the EXACT physical size of the tire - and those two can differ somewhat! However, in the case of the rear tire on our Spyders, there's a variety of sizes that should fit and work very well, any of them being quids ahead of the OEM Kendas in most if not all respects; the narrower tires especially so when it comes to rubbing on your belt guards!

In a slightly narrower tire that should clear the belt guard and correct the inherent speedo/odo error a bit, there's 215/60R15 or 215/55R15; or you could even choose a 215/50R15 if you don't mind likely increasing the speedo/odo error a bit! And in an even narrower tire (maybe not so good for Dry traction, but likely better in the Wet! ) you can usually find 205/65R15's or 205/60R15's, both of which should clear your belt guards even more and still improve the speedo/odo accuracy somewhat, or maybe even a 205/55R15 if you don't mind the likely increased speedo/odo inaccuracy - some have even gone to 205/50R15's, but I personally wouldn't want to run a lower profile in that 205 width than 55!

So just check out what brands & sizes are widely recommended by North American Riders and that are readily available in your area, and make your choice from the many!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2023 at 06:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen,

I changed the OEM tire on my 2014 RTS-SE6 @ 5,824 miles( the middle of the tire was not good, and I went with the General Altimax RT43 at the time). What brand of Tires have the size 205/60 R15 that have excellent ratings ( traction... Dry and Wet, hydroplaning, and etc.)?

The tires are OEM.
    Deanna
    Is that the size your running?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen,

The tires are OEM.
    Deanna
    The new Vredestein " Quatrac " comes in that size ..... currently it has the best Ratings for any all-season that fits a Spyder ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Deanna
    So sorry, just saw your question here. I put the bottom guard on, but did not see a good way to put the top on on my '08. Things didn't line up, and I didn't want it halfway held on, so I ended up not using the top one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Mikey,

My tires are OEM tires.

I have 2,000 miles plus on the bike. It is still brand new.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

So sorry, just saw your question here. I put the bottom guard on, but did not see a good way to put the top on on my '08. Things didn't line up, and I didn't want it halfway held on, so I ended up not using the top one.

msgoodwrench,

OK.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover