Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Top Box Will Not Remain Open - any solutions?

I have a 2020 RTL that the top box will not remain open. It stays open for a few seconds and then closes, usually on my hand as I am looking for something in the box. This just started happening within the last week. The box lid does not have anything added to the top of it like a rack which would make the lid heavier and cause it to close. Does anyone have a solution?

Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-08-2022 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Weak Gas Strut ?

...Maybe a weak gas-charged holding Strut. Is there any signs of a fluid leak on your Strut? Some are just not being built very well.

Over to you my friend.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

That sounds a lot like a strut with a weak gas charge..... . Especially if it's only started happening as the temperature's started dropping!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing on my 2020 RT. I think it was barely adequate from the factory and as time goes by it gets worse. I think newer ones are around $70+. I could be wrong though.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Mine does the same thing on my 2020 RT. I think it was barely adequate from the factory and as time goes by it gets worse. I think newer ones are around $70+. I could be wrong though.
    I would be willing to bet that McMaster Carr has something that will work for WAY LESS than that. If/when mine goes bad I'll research it and post back what I did but right now it's doing good.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

So, shouldn't that be covered under your warranty(if you still have it)? Might just be easier to have the struts replaced.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

My 2020 is doing the same thing. I need to tear it apart and find a stronger replacement strut.

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

If you do that, it would be great to see a video on strut replacement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    I have a 2020 RTL that the top box will not remain open. It stays open for a few seconds and then closes, usually on my hand as I am looking for something in the box. This just started happening within the last week. The box lid does not have anything added to the top of it like a rack which would make the lid heavier and cause it to close. Does anyone have a solution?

Bill
    Hi Bill.

See if this is helpful:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1645384

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1653915
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 12-08-2022 at 06:44 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if you can find a workable size, but many of these are available from any RV dealer. I have replaced many on overhead cupboards.

Spyder Garage

I just had my dealer replace the Trunk Strut and the Driver Seat strut yesterday morning. I bought the extended warranty in January 2021 for our 2020 RTL so the replacements were covered. They told me the trunk racks are the problem, but I do not have one. While at the dealership I found out there was a bad batch of them 2019/2020. What a difference when I stopped for gas on the way home and didn't have to prop up the seat or the trunk lid.

PS I have to figure out this signature thingy so I can post a picture.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

I had the dealer replace the one on the trunk. I had an extended warranty. It would have cost $300 to do it. I have a $0 deductible. A few months later they replaced the seat strut. $0 out of pocket. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT and the back trunk won't stay open. common problem. CanAm is the only place you can get a replacement cylinder shock. It's expensive. I use a 1/2' x 1" x 6" long block of wood just under the lid bracket arm works just find.

Spyder Garage

My 2020RTL had same problem. My 2022 F3L Limited- same problem. Like some above, use small rubber door stopper wedgie. Problem controlled..

Spyder Garage

Interesting that some have had their 2020 struts replaced under an extended warranty. I just called a dealer and they told me that the struts were NOT covered under the extended warranty. ????
    BTW, I bought my warranty thru imotorsports.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Interesting that some have had their 2020 struts replaced under an extended warranty. I just called a dealer and they told me that the struts were NOT covered under the extended warranty. ????
    BTW, I bought my warranty thru imotorsports.
    Dealer replaced my top box strut under extended warranty after 27 months of purchase date. cost was $50. and took about 10 minutes. Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Both the top case and seat on my new to me 2020 are not working. With no extended warranty I figured I am on my own to repair - although these items should work for longer than a couple of years.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I can tell you from my own dealings is McMaster Carr has the seat strut, the trunk strut, I don't know but that is where I would get one if I could it will cost you a lot less, and there really not hard to change! Skip all that labor charge!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Both the top case and seat on my new to me 2020 are not working. With no extended warranty I figured I am on my own to repair - although these items should work for longer than a couple of years.
    Part numbers needed from McMaster Carr, 9416K14 strut, it is 30#. It is the same diameter & length as the original, I got the longer eyelet to give me extra height, part # 6465K26.

This is for the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Part numbers needed from McMaster Carr, 9416K14 strut, it is 30#. It is the same diameter & length as the original, I got the longer eyelet to give me extra height, part # 6465K26.

This is for the seat.
    OK--I did the seat strut with the McMaster-Carr on my 2021 RTL (with the longer eyelet) and it works great. I opted to use the Ace hardware spring for the trunk that someone posted and now that I took it apart again and stretched the spring much more, it works also. I haven't started research on the original $75 strut yet but surely M/C or someone makes a replacement. Here is a photo of the original part with the #s readable and if someone beats me to it, please post. Getting in to my dealer is not an option as they are so far behind and want me to leave it with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    OK--I did the seat strut with the McMaster-Carr on my 2021 RTL (with the longer eyelet) and it works great. I opted to use the Ace hardware spring for the trunk that someone posted and now that I took it apart again and stretched the spring much more, it works also. I haven't started research on the original $75 strut yet but surely M/C or someone makes a replacement. Here is a photo of the original part with the #s readable and if someone beats me to it, please post. Getting in to my dealer is not an option as they are so far behind and want me to leave it with them.
    I did a pretty deep search on McMaster-Carr with no luck...if you find a replacement there, please share.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity I did a Google search. The Suspa part brings up no hits which indicates that particular shock absorber, as BRP calls it, is custom assembled for BRP. It doesn't come up on Suspa website either, but the series 16-4 configuration chart shows a 353 choice. However there is no C1635344A part number listed in their catalog, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7rLzN-SVvoOpLt.

Sooooooooooooo, since it is a custom configured unit and has no applications other than the Spyder top case, and the Spyder top case has not been sold in millions of quantity, the chance of finding an after market unit is, IMO, zero or less. To replace it you'll have to bite the bullet and search for BRP 708303630 and pay the MSRP of $74.

Your only option for an after market unit is to try to match one by size and end configuration and hope for the best in finding a lifting force that will work.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As I mentioned earlier, a small rubber door stopper placed between the front lid to top of passenger seat works. Better than original strut when breezy or parked on an uneven surface. Less than $3 bucks for two. Just saying....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Out of curiosity I did a Google search. The Suspa part brings up no hits which indicates that particular shock absorber, as BRP calls it, is custom assembled for BRP. It doesn't come up on Suspa website either, but the series 16-4 configuration chart shows a 353 choice. However there is no C1635344A part number listed in their catalog, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7rLzN-SVvoOpLt.

Sooooooooooooo, since it is a custom configured unit and has no applications other than the Spyder top case, and the Spyder top case has not been sold in millions of quantity, the chance of finding an after market unit is, IMO, zero or less. To replace it you'll have to bite the bullet and search for BRP 708303630 and pay the MSRP of $74.

Your only option for an after market unit is to try to match one by size and end configuration and hope for the best in finding a lifting force that will work.
    Well-RATS! Probably the frustration of buying one "close" that winds up not working would be at least $75. AND--knowing the replacement will likely fail also. I did make a nice 19" notched dowel and will paint it and mark it BRP I did take some measurements of the original "Suspa". Center to center eyelets, 130mm. Travel,34mm Cyl dia.14mm Rod dia. 4.75mm and i think the 20/52 refers to the lift force. Could vary a few mm + or -.
    Last edited by arkyleo; 02-10-2023 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add info
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

When I did the seat strut, I called suspa, gave them the numbers and they told me the psi of the shock. I took that info and all of the measurement from the old one then searched and found one that would work.