Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I saw in his recent video, that using Loctite 609 only requires 10 minutes to set.
    Thats the fixture time cure time is 24hrs.
    609 10 minute fixture time 24 hour cure time 2290psi shear strength.
    603 10minute fixture time 72 hour cure time 3260psi shear strength.
    648 3minute fixture time 24 hour cure time 3900psi shear strength.

So we're glueing together a smaller surface area of splines because we're adding a washer (that no one knows what for) to an unchanged, metallurgy wise, sprocket in an effort to prevent an unknown number of failures 7 years after the fact and after a notification time of 7 months still can't say when the part will be available even though some have been fitted and are out the door and the only official information we can gather is from stealers that are clueless and a tech that makes money from Youtube posts that refuses to answer questions because BRP has scolded him for talking out of class .

FFS this is retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by EdMat; 12-11-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Thats the fixture time cure time is 24hrs.
    609 10 minute fixture time 24 hour cure time 2290psi shear strength.
    603 10minute fixture time 72 hour cure time 3260psi shear strength.
    648 3minute fixture time 24 hour cure time 3900psi shear strength.

So we're glueing together a smaller surface area of splines because we're adding a washer (that no one knows what for) to an unchanged, metallurgy wise, sprocket in an effort to prevent an unknown number of failures 7 years after the fact and after a notification time of 7 months still can't say when the part will be available even though some have been fitted and are out the door and the only official information we can gather is from stealers that are clueless and a tech that makes money from Youtube posts that refuses to answer questions because BRP has scolded him for talking out of class .

FFS this is retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .... I've posted a few times - that there were very few ( if any ) "fretting" issues until the end of the 2014 model run ..... Only BRP knows what changed at that point .... maybe one or maybe a few things .... BRP is NEVER going to admit this, or say what it is/was ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2022 at 01:56 AM. Reason: wqhat - what ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    We've been using 648 for years at the advice of a BRP Spyder tech. Reading the specs of both it seems like 648 is a better match than the 609. Not sure why they went with 609.

LOCTITE® 609 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting
    parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air
    between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening
    and leakage from shock and vibration. Typical applications
    include rotor to shafts in fractional and subfractional
    horsepower motors. Locks bushings and sleeves in housings
    on shafts. Augments press fits

LOCTITE® 648™ is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts,
    particularly where bond gaps can approach 0.15 mm and where
    maximum strength at room temperature is required. The product cures
    when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal
    surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and
    vibration. LOCTITE® 648™ provides robust curing performance. It not
    only works on active metals (e.g. mild steel) but also on passive
    substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces. The product
    offers high temperature performance and oil tolerance. It tolerates
    minor surface contaminations from various oils, such as cutting,
    lubrication, anti-corrosion and protection fluids. Typical applications
    include holding gears and sprockets onto gearbox shafts
    and rotors on
    electric motor shafts.

Spyder Garage

some have used Locktite 660- any info pos or neg??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    some have used Locktite 660- any info pos or neg??
    honsfun, I have NO experience to offer regarding Loctite 660, but since BRP now recommend 609 with their new sprocket, and Lamonster recommend 648 (which they have been using for some time with great results), I personally would only be considering either of those two.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    We've been using 648 for years at the advice of a BRP Spyder tech. Reading the specs of both it seems like 648 is a better match than the 609. Not sure why they went with 609.....
    Lamont, how long does it take to cure after using to fit a sprocket?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Lamont, how long does it take to cure after using to fit a sprocket?
    It should set for 24 hours for best results.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We've been using 648 for years at the advice of a BRP Spyder tech. Reading the specs of both it seems like 648 is a better match than the 609. Not sure why they went with 609.
    How about asking BRP engineers? I presume you have inside contacts that run a lot deeper than what we ordinary mortals have, right?

When I was in the quality assurance field I had a motto, QA QA QA; the Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance leads to the Quintessential Answer.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-13-2022 at 03:46 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How about asking BRP engineers? I presume you have inside contacts that run a lot deeper than what we ordinary mortals have, right?

When I was in the quality assurance field I had a motto, QA QA QA; the Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance leads to the Quintessential Answer.
    I don't have the line of communication I once had. I'm just an ordinary mortal too

Spyder Garage

If you can't even get the pulley, the type of Loctite is not something I am worried about right now.

I am not gonna let the dealership work on my scooter, even if it is free warranty work.

It would still cost about $100 worth of gas and two trips to Gville, which would ruin 2 days for me.

They talking about 6 months to a year just to get the pulley. I am looking for some other source.

Any ideas?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

REPOWER ! JET or a SAIL !!!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If you can't even get the pulley, the type of Loctite is not something I am worried about right now.

I am not gonna let the dealership work on my scooter, even if it is free warranty work.

It would still cost about $100 worth of gas and two trips to Gville, which would ruin 2 days for me.

They talking about 6 months to a year just to get the pulley. I am looking for some other source.

Any ideas?
    Similar here, I'm thinking just get some 648 and glue my original sprocket with it.If nothings changed with the metallurgy of the replacement why the hell are we bothering.It's the fretting causing the problem so letting those monkeys at the stealership mess with it won't change that.Piss poor design and materials is the underlying problem so barring an aftermarket improvement we're screwed I'd say.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is Unusable. I had it checked, and they said it was fine. HA! There is nothing like riding down the road and nothing happens as you lose all drive. One tow truck and 4 hour later I got home. What I learnt is that I am never going to that service Centre again. The recall note did say they should replace it with an interim sprocket to keep you on the road, if I read that correctly; not that there are any in Australia.
    More of an interesting point, Martin the Vlogger has done 78,000km with no problems; Great Rydes, 70,000mls; and there is a rider here in Aus hitting 60,000km with no problems; me - at 22,750kms the sprocket went! The point I ask, is it the luck of the draw, as Shaun says, or is someone cost saving?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-21-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: ' 's & CR's ;-)
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have the line of communication I once had. I'm just an ordinary mortal too
    Soooo……once this new pulley is installed onto the splined shaft using whatever Loctite used, if ya gotta remove the pulley at any future date……whats the procedure?
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

A heavy duty pulley puller and big ass breaker bar ??

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Soooo……once this new pulley is installed onto the splined shaft using whatever Loctite used, if ya gotta remove the pulley at any future date……whats the procedure?
    Heat ........ or if the pulley is too damaged to re-use, just split it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    According to the service department at my dealer - RideNow Austin - they were able to get a large number of sprockets, based on their aggregate BRP sales. I agree with Mikey, ask your dealer to call them to ask RideNow to send your dealer a sprocket, and if they won't (but they should), you should call RideNow @ 512-459-3311 to make an appointment to put the new sprocket. Not sure where in Texas you are, but is a trip to Austin feasible? Also, BRP is full of it when they say that the installation will only take "about an hour" when in reality, it takes closer to 2 1/2 hours. BRP only pays the dealer for .6 - yep you read that right - .6 hours to get the work done. My dealer is not too happy with BRP. So see, BRP not only screws us Spyder Riders, they screw dealers as well. Heck of a way to run a business.
    I have a 2015 RTS, but as a lay person I replaced my own sprocket (the painted white one] which I had to buy myself and only took about 50 min, start to finish. Not sure why it would take 2 1/2 hrs?
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

It should set for 24 hours for best results.

Quick question……if the sprocket is put on the bike with locative, does that mean it stays on the lift for 24 hours? Or does the tech start the bike back it up and leave it sit in the garage for 24 hours? Or does the tech start it up back it outside and let it sit for 24 hours? Which one? Not sure many techs have 24 hours to sit on lift before moving to allow to set up, That means they can only work on 1 machine a day or have a designated lift for sprockets only. Most dealers have 1-2 spyder ATV lifts and one for SXS. If they sell sleds or jet skis then one for them. Most dealers wont have the number of lifts to leave one on it sitting for 24 hours. That also means they will only schedule 1 a week at tops.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 12-14-2022 at 09:18 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

It takes a fix set in 15 to 30 minutes but needs longer to fully cure. Cure time would also depend on how good the tech cleaned the surfaces. The more metal contact the faster the cure time due to the reaction to metal in an oxygen free state.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

So if I understand this correctly, the tech will put the spyder on the the lift and remove all the plastic, remove the old sprocket and belt, clean the splines on the shaft, apply lock tite to spline and sprocket, slide sprocket on and bolt on, let it sit for 30 minutes to hour on the lift not moved so it can set. Then back off the spyder off the lift and let it sit for 24 hours to fully cure. Then reinstall the belt and all the plastic the next day “correct?” Dumb question here but will the belt be on while it sets and cures? Can’t that cause it to be a bit out of round or offset a touch with the belt tension? Or are they waiting the hour then installing the belt then backing it off. Just trying to figure out the exact steps so I know them before I ask the tech to explain the steps to me. Just doing som research first.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 12-14-2022 at 01:00 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Why would they need the belt on to take it off the lift? Just release the brake and push it off the lift. I move mine around using a rolling engine lift with the brake still locked. Just lift the rear tire clear of the floor and push it where ever you need to.

Spyder Garage

There is ideal and real world. Real world is the locktite is applied to the shaft and sprocket and reassembled. You could ride the bike home and park it for 24 hours. I wouldn't go for a cross country ride immediately after the repair but it's not going to be a problem if you ride it a few miles. For best results either leave it there for 24 hours or trailer there and trailer back. We've had customers do both and yet to have a repeat failure.

Spyder Garage

Ahhhhhh perfect…..thanks Lamont. It’s 5 hours to my service shop. Head up early in the morning, sprocket changed by lunch, ride 5 mins back to the motel and stay overnight, ride home at lunchtime. Sounds like a plan. I’m sure it is only a matter of time until BRP list the later models as requiring the “fix”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I just got the sprocket recall done on my F3 which was sitting at the dealer since late September, The original sprocket did fail and wasn't safe to ride. It was making a lot of noise especially when decelerating. The dealer just got the new sprocket in about a week ago and did the repair this past Saturday. Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to get it home because it snowed since and my up hill driveway is all packed snow now and I would not be able to get my spyder up the driveway. So I guess it will sit at the dealer for now.