Spyder Garage

Default Poconos Trip June 2023 - any must see and do's in the area?

My wife and I are planning a trip in June to PA. I am thinking of taking the northern route from IL, stopping in Punxsutawney first to see the critter. Our way home will be a southern route to spend a day in Gettysburg. So I have the trip bookended with the tourist stuff. I am looking for recommendations for must see and do in the Poconos area for a 3-4 day stay there. I have done some research for waterfalls, hiking, dining, and shopping. We haven't decided on lodging yet. And we do have the brochures from the state tourism bureau.

I am thinking of at least riding over to see the raceway at Long Pond, since I used to watch NASCAR eons ago.

Any/all suggestions will be entertained and researched. I appreciate your participation.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-07-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Suggestion...When at Punxsutawney take 119 then 219 N. to Mount Jewett on the famous Rt. 6 and visit the Kinzua Bridge Sky Walk...

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx

Also Rt 6 is a famous bike touring route in PA...MANY Attraction's...If you contact the PA visitors bureau they have a exclusive Rt 6 touring motorcycle map...

Check this out...www.paroute6.com

Enjoy...larryd

PS If your wife enjoys nick nacks visit this place...http://www.talloaksstores.com/
    Last edited by larryd; 12-07-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

Larry D hit it perfect referring to rt6. If it was me get to Rt 6 around Corry/warren area. Then take 59 to Kinzua dam. Then take 123 to Kane, back on 6 to the bridge skywalk. Continue to coutersport and up over the highway to the stars 144. Take 144 to 120 and over to hyner. Drive up hyners peak. Head towards 6. Hit ricketts glen 18 waterfalls in 10 miles. Best in PA. Continue 6 all the way across.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how much more driving you want to do past Gettysburg. You might consider Valley Forge and Hershey. There's lots of great riding and sight seeing in the Amish areas.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Maybe on your way: https://www.billsbikebarn.com/
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Thank you guys!

I'm taking notes. All good stuff so far and I will see what we can fit in.

Please keep them coming!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Flight 93 National Memorial, 6424 Lincoln Highway (RT30), Stoystown, PA 15563. https://www.nps.gov/flni/learn/histo...nformation.htm
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Route 6 is a great route to ride with lots of attractions along the way. If you take Rt 6 all the way over to Mansfield PA you can pick up Rt 15 North and head to New York, only a couple miles from New York. There you can go to Corning New York and stop at the Corning Glass Factory. Great place to stop and spend some time and the scenery is great as well. On your way back I recommend Rt 30 which runs thru Lancaster, York, Gettysburg and a bunch of other cool little towns along the way, and by all means if you can make the time the Flight 93 memorial will take your breath away.

HAPPY RIDING
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Route 6 is a great ride. If you do it be sure to include the PA Grand Canyon it's in Wellesboro. Another great ride is route 97 in NY (a national scenic byway), from Port Jervis to the north. It runs along the Delaware and its showcase point is Hawks Nest a short twisty that is a blast. In fact if you take route 97 north and ride through the town of Narrowsburg, cross into PA follow PA 452 into Honesdale, PA where you can connect with PA route 6.
    20190701_170125.jpg
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    This is a great place to see all kinds of historic bikes, cars and lots of other interesting curios.

If you have the time and like twisties, head south on PA339 for a fun run.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it's anywhere near your route going or coming and you're interested in architecture, go to Frank Lloyd Wright's creation, Falling Water. It's southeast of Pittsburgh. It's a home he designed and built for the furniture magnate family, the Kaufmans. It's featured in the PBS show 10 Homes That Changed America.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This place is on Rt 6...

Lynn Hall is a historic restaurant and related residence located In Port Allegany, Pennsylvania, United States. It is a sprawling Modernist Movement style structure. The estate began construction in 1935 and slightly resembles the design for Fallingwater. The restaurant and ballroom closed in the early 1950s. Wikipedia
    Address: 21656 US-6, Port Allegany, PA 16743
    Architectural style: Modern architecture
    Opened: 1935
    Phone: (954) 554-8492
    Area: 9 acres
    Function: Restaurant
    Added to NRHP: February 7, 2007
    NRHP Reference Number: 07000033

Spyder Garage

Again, thank you all for the ideas, there is still plenty of time for more suggestions.

An itinerary is slowly taking shape as I get some minutes to work on it. I will say this, there is so much more to see than what I originally thought. My first thought was Gettysburg, Punxsutawney, Flight 93 memorial, and base out of one of the Poconos towns. Seems there are days and days of things to experience on the way out there.

Our last trip east to Salem and Cape Cod, we just rode through PA to our destination. This trip we will be exploring the state.

As happens during the winter time when the bikes are idle, the route, stops, and lodging will go through several, if not many, iterations, but it keeps me sane while the bike is parked.....
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Reading all the great ideas of what to do and where to travel now has inspired me to return to where I was originally from and make a trip around PA. Thanks to Jester72 and all who responded.
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for responding. I have a several page document with all suggestions on this thread and through those that PM'd me. I appreciate each and every one. I have the trip divided into three parts, and three "regions," which are of my own divisions, and follow no practical boundaries whatsoever (except in my mind and on my map). We are starting to put together the route and all the stops. Looks like this will be a pretty aggressive tour of the state, but that is usually how we roll.

I will dig up this thread once we get things settled and stops planned and share the itinerary for any that may be interested.

Thanks again to this great group and your suggestions.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Hi all. With your help, I've put together a route and list of attractions. We have 10 days to get this done, and it totals to about 2,700 + miles total. We have a rough loop from NW PA, across mostly Rt 6 to the Poconos, then south to Valley Forge and Gettysburg, the east across the southern part of the state. Some days are very aggressive, others are nice and easy with lots of time off the bike. Somewhat in order of what we plan to see (with room for adjustments if needed - we know what can be dropped off this list if we need more downtime)

Start with a 500+ mile day to get from IL to PA - not much more than that its a long day!

Freedom Falls, Punxsutawney, McGees Covered Bridge, Kinzua Dam, Mt Jewett, Kinzua Bridge State Park, Coudersport Ice Mine

Leonard Harris State Park, Wellsboro, Pine Creek Gorge, Ricketts Glen S.P., Tunkannock. (Bill's Bike Barn may fall in here, may not)

Milford, Raymondskill Falls, Dingman's Ferry (duck into NJ to put it under our wheels) Dingman's Falls, Bushkill Falls, Delaware Gap Visitor's Center, Rosica Falls, Stroudsburg

Jim Thorpe, Lehigh Gorge S.P., Hickory Run Boulder Field, Wilkes Barre, Scranton (our son is a huge Office fan - have to stop there)

Tannersville, Pocono Raceway, wineries, Roebling's Aquaduct, Hawk's Nest

Ringing Rock S.P. VanSandt Covered Bridge, Valley Forge N.P., Hershey

Gettysburg

Flight 93 Memorial, Frank Lloyd Wright Falling Waters, head east as long as we can

Home to Illinois

I have to get the trailer re-wired for the square plug, book some B&B's, and melt some snow and will be ready to go!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

We did the Rt 6 ride last summer - saw a lot of what you have listed here - but one of my favorite stops was a tour of the Zippo Factory in Bradford, PA - approximately 30 minutes North of Mt. Jewett. It's a fascinating place and story.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Tannersville, Pocono Raceway, wineries, Roebling's Aquaduct, Hawk's Nest

I suggest adding High Point St. Park in NJ after riding the Hawks Nest. It's about 20 min. south of Hawks Nest, the highest elevation in NJ and offers an amazing view of NJ, NY and PA.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles