Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RT Ltd - which Trailer Hitch fits? OK with non-BRP trailers?

I'm considering getting a trailer hitch. But in reading posts there seems to be issues as which hitch fits. Can someone shed some light on this. Plus is there any issue with buying a non BRP trailer? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2022 at 07:40 PM.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Certain 2022 Spyders, both RT's and F3's came with a rear axle bolt that had an internal diameter too small for the BRP trailer hitch bolt to pass through. There is a BRP service bulletin addressing this, and it is treated as a warranty item. Since most people buying Spyders will never need a hitch, BRP is not treating it as a recall. If you have a Spyder affected by this, and you may ever want a hitch, you should put in a claim for the replacement rear axle bolt. They are available now. I've already added a hitch to a friends' bike that had the too small axle. BTW, dealers will not hand over the replacement axle bolt. They have to account to BRP for having changed it out.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Contact your dealer and give him the attached bulletin. It is covered under warranty. Without doing the warranty claim there are no hitches that will fit the 2022's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There should be no issue using a non-brp trailer. They key factor is the weight on the hitch and total pull weight of the trailer.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Contact your dealer and give him the attached bulletin. It is covered under warranty. Without doing the warranty claim there are no hitches that will fit the 2022's
    Campermac, could you PM me that bulletin. I can't print it off the photo clearly. Thanks.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

I purchased the BRP hitch when I bought my Spyder. I had to wait about 4 months for the axle bolt mentioned above. When the part came in, the dealer installed the bolt and the hitch (and wiring harness).

I have a small HF cargo trailer we plan on towing, here it is attached to our 2014 Victory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

PM sent
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    I purchased the BRP hitch when I bought my Spyder. I had to wait about 4 months for the axle bolt mentioned above. When the part came in, the dealer installed the bolt and the hitch (and wiring harness).

I have a small HF cargo trailer we plan on towing, here it is attached to our 2014 Victory.
    Nice.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 12-07-2022 at 11:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I'm considering getting a trailer hitch. But in reading posts there seems to be issues as which hitch fits. Can someone shed some light on this. Plus is there any issue with buying a non BRP trailer? Thanks.
    I have the same setup for my 14 RT. Sweet! However, I can tell you the trailer hitch takes a hell of a beating. Every imperfection in the surface of the road is transferred from the spyder back to the hitch and from the trailer forward to the hitch. I have seen aftermarket hitch failures but I've yet to see a factory hitch fail if properly installed and used of course. I look at it this way. If I were 500 miles from home and my trailer hitch failed, just the inconvenience alone not counting the cost of towing repair and all the accompanying issues would not equal the savings on an aftermarket hitch. If you had an OEM hitch in one hand and an aftermarket hitch in the other, the differences would be obvious. Good luck and this is JMHO, FWIW.

Spyder Garage

Default Link to NHTSA posted .pdf

It took a bit of digging, but for those interested in printing the Technical Service Bulletin for this, the link at NHTSA is here:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...14931-0001.pdf

And for other TSB info at NHTSA:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

You're welcome. 🙂
    Last edited by AZ4U2C; 12-09-2022 at 02:43 PM.
    2022 Spyder RTL – MCRN TACHI

Spyder Garage

Thanks for some great info, waiting for home delivery of 2022 RTL. Is there a chance that it may have correct axle bolt already installed?

Spyder Garage

No way of knowing. I even asked my purchasing dealer on three separate occasions prior to delivery to check this issue. They said they did, but it was wrong when delivered and it took me 2 trips to a different local dealer and numerous emails back and forth with the selling dealer. Very frustrating.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thank you to AZ4U2C for posting the info on this. My dealer did not know about this and has now got the correct axle shaft and nut for my 2022 RTL.