Spyder Garage

Default I have questions about various model configurations

When we bought our 2014 RT Limited in the fall of 2017, I did not know a whole lot about the various Spyder models available. Now, 5 years later I am still not very well informed on that subject. That said, I am seeking information on models after 2014 that first had a larger, more sensibly designed top case (trunk)? The ones on the 2014 have to be dumbest design ever conceived as they require items to be stacked up in an irregularly shaped "tunnel". What I'm looking for are ones with a top case like a clam shell that allows you to pack more easily and get to most all of the contents easily when opened. OR, what models came configured so you can add the luggage or top case of your choosing?

Picture is of a GIVI 55 liter for an example of what I would like to have. I'm considering getting rid of the 2014 if I can find a suitable replacement with a more sensible luggage system.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-06-2022 at 07:49 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

The RT-L is limited to the factory case. If you want to go to a larger case, either aftermarket or Cam-Am, you will need to get a F3 model. I have a 2017 RT-L and my neighbor has a 2017 F3 and he has a much larger case and its wider too! Not a game changer for me because I love my RT-L and I just learn to deal with it. The newer "21 and '22 models of both types have a much larger case but I'm not willing to spend $30K for a new bike just for a case. Anyway, the RT and the F3 of those years, '14 - '19, are different in how they sit and options available. The F3 has the ability to add more options. The RT not so much. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Contact Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor, and ask him about the Hopnel HCTL two part RT rear trunk luggage set, very reasonably priced. As with any vertically opened storage bin, like all RT frunks, it requires a bit of forethought so one isn't perpetually digging for stuff. As an example, my tool kit and supplies, emergency compressor, tire plug kit, Rugged Geek lithium battery jump pack, etc., fit in the smaller of the two Hopnel rear trunk bags and it goes into the trunk first because it is the least used of everything that goes in my RT. Miscellaneous gear goes in the larger Hopnel trunk bag. OTOH, I live out of my Hopnel frunk bag, foul weather gear goes in a Hopnel saddle bag on the right, and bloody BIPAP machine in its travel case and distilled water fit perfectly in left saddle bag. I can travel indefinitely with that arrangement.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The first model for the larger top case like you are showing was the 2017 F3 Limited. That was a 47L case (I believe). But in the long run, you will still have less storage on any F3 Limited than you have on your 2014 RT. The reason is because the frunk and side cases are so small. If you are looking for overall storage, the move would be to get a 2020 and up RTL. They have the larger top case, and the side and frunk are just as large as what you currently have on your 2014 RT. For me, I do not use the top case that much, so being able to remove it was the attraction for the F3t, but the smaller side case and frunk was a bummer. When I got my 2021 RTL, I seem to have the best of both worlds. I get the large side and frunk, while also having a removable and usable top case. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Another option is the 20+ RT Base model with LinQ system that lets you add a rear deck and any top case you desire. Shad cases fit very well and the Base model is $4k less than the Limited. Mine is set up for either a top case, a utility platform, or a spare gas can (see avatar).
    Last edited by RayBJ; 12-06-2022 at 10:14 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

'20+ RT or RTL or Sea to Sky
    I have the RT with Can Am top case
    BlackLightning and RayBJ are pretty accurate. I don't think the can am top case is 55 gallons though.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    ...... I don't think the can am top case is 55 gallons though.
    55 gallons is about the capacity of the trunk on our Passat. The GIVI is only meager 55 liters
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2022 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Display & color so that all can read ;-)

Spyder Garage

HA HA HA. I'm not changing my response. It warrants the humor
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you ever played dungeons and dragons. Maybe its a trunk of holding
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ingramsail has your solution https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1654585 in Speedy Red or Trailer Hitch White. Excellent prices.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

If I had this '14 sold, those would be very tempting and not all that far from me at ~260 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    If I had this '14 sold, those would be very tempting and not all that far from me at ~260 miles.
    Those are great deals. But keep in mind that with any F3 Series (even with the givi box), you will be giving up total storage space to your 14 RT. The saddle bags and frunk on the F3 series is a joke when comparing them to any of the RT models, new or older.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Those are great deals. But keep in mind that with any F3 Series (even with the givi box), you will be giving up total storage space to your 14 RT. The saddle bags and frunk on the F3 series is a joke when comparing them to any of the RT models, new or older.
    Yeah, it's too bad they couldn't get their act together for those folks who plan on touring capacity luggage without having to pull a trailer. Just knowing I don't gain anything with an F3 kicks it out of the mix and we cannot afford the upgrade to the newer RTs right now. I've been known to think outside the box on more than one occasion so I might find a way to add a little bit more storage in another spot or two.

Thanks to all for the responses with helpful information.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it's too bad they couldn't get their act together for those folks who plan on touring capacity luggage without having to pull a trailer. Just knowing I don't gain anything with an F3 kicks it out of the mix and we cannot afford the upgrade to the newer RTs right now. I've been known to think outside the box on more than one occasion so I might find a way to add a little bit more storage in another spot or two.

Thanks to all for the responses with helpful information.
    There are always options if you have a trailer hitch, but don't want to use a trailer. This is the rack that I used on my F3T when the wife would come along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

blacklightning, that's something I had in mind as I already have a small rack that I built & used to carry camping gear on the sport-touring bike once upon a time. I no longer have that bike but kept the rack. It is only 15" x 30" though. What size is the one you have pictured? How does it attach to the bike? Does it keep the license plate visible? etc????

Spyder Garage

blacklightning, that's something I had in mind as I already have a small rack that I built & used to carry camping gear on the sport-touring bike once upon a time. I no longer have that bike but kept the rack. It is only 15" x 30" though. What size is the one you have pictured? How does it attach to the bike? Does it keep the license plate visible? etc????
    That's approx. the size of the one in the picture. It is attached to the hitch using "U" bolts, with a bolt going through the hitch where the ball would be. Yes, the tail lights should be visible, but in the picture I posted, the air bags on my F3T were leaking down bad and made them hard to see. I also had this set up on my 2014 RT and it worked great. The lights were up higher, so i didn't have an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That's approx. the size of the one in the picture. It is attached to the hitch using "U" bolts, with a bolt going through the hitch where the ball would be. Yes, the tail lights should be visible, but in the picture I posted, the air bags on my F3T were leaking down bad and made them hard to see. I also had this set up on my 2014 RT and it worked great. The lights were up higher, so i didn't have an issue.
    blacklightning, if I may ask, and not to hijack the post, did you make the rack yourself, or was it purchased? I had a rack that fit the hitch on my Victory, but that went with the bike. I am planning to have a friend look into making one with aluminum to keep the weight down. Just curious?
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    blacklightning, if I may ask, and not to hijack the post, did you make the rack yourself, or was it purchased? I had a rack that fit the hitch on my Victory, but that went with the bike. I am planning to have a friend look into making one with aluminum to keep the weight down. Just curious?
    No, I did not make it. It was marketed by a long time member here by the name of Doc Humphreys (hope I spelled his name correct). He had a rack and pack that he sold. It was great and is a big hit for everyone that see the product. For some reason, I don't think it was marketed very well or something. Or maybe people just didn't know how nice his product was. He was on a ride with his wife and she hit a deer. Unfortunately after a long fight, she did not survive. Haven't heard anything from him since.

Spyder Garage

If you want to stay with the RT series then they do not go to a normal top case until 2020. Other wise you can go to the F3 Limited but their top case prior to 2020 is a nice case, you just have to be careful when closing it so that it lines up correctly
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents