Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    One last item to think about. I know you have a trapeze, but have they talked to you about pressure ulcers and the need for repositioning thru out the day.
    After this morning's meet with the head honcho, I think we're back on track. Thanks.

My legs are in a locked brace and i would otherwise be immobilized. But, my upper body is strengthening enough I can now hoist myself up, swing legs out of bed, then tilt toward the floor. Then, using my arms to steady myself, i can walk myself backwards into a standing position. With the walker i can then move around my room unassisted, and further with someone holding a gait belt (which is white, so I brag about having a white belt in PT).

I think the perceived crisis is over now and i feel better about the two months of recovery ahead of me.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    After this morning's meet with the head honcho, I think we're back on track. Thanks.

My legs are in a locked brace and i would otherwise be immobilized. But, my upper body is strengthening enough I can now hoist myself up, swing legs out of bed, then tilt toward the floor. Then, using my arms to steady myself, i can walk myself backwards into a standing position. With the walker i can then move around my room unassisted, and further with someone holding a gait belt (which is white, so I brag about having a white belt in PT).

I think the perceived crisis over now and i feel better about the two months of recovery ahead of me.
    That's great. I thought you were non-weight bearing bilaterally.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good Spyderlovers friend (Pegasus1300) stopped by to see how I was doing.

20221205_173136.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It was great to see you, Pete and get to spend time together. I enjoyed watching your face relax and for to you begin to smile more. Thank you for welcoming me into your room and spending so much time with me. You are a lot of fun to visit with. I'll be back.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Pete... So sorry to read about your accident but really happy to read you are now up and getting around in your room! Continue to heal and know many prayers and good wishes are coming your way!
    : )
    Gina J
    Current: 2019 RTLtd White (dark edition)
    2012 RTS Magnesium Metallic

Prev 2 Wheels:
    1975 Honda 200; 1979 CM400T
    1995 Yamaha Virago 750; VStar Silverado 1100

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete,

This is called coming late to the party. Now that I know that you are weight bearing, a simple exercise for blood flow to prevent DVT's and work your calf muscles while sitting at edge of bed is...... Just checking to see if they told you. If you do this exercise while laying down you have to be careful of..... and need to use what?

Spyder Garage

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know life can turn on a dime. I have faith that you'll have full recovery and be able to do those things you love to do. It's hard when you need help for anything, I know. Take it slow and easy and before you know it you'll be posting about your new adventures. Praying for both you and your wife.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I know life can turn on a dime. I have faith that you'll have full recovery and be able to do those things you love to do. It's hard when you need help for anything, I know. Take it slow and easy and before you know it you'll be posting about your new adventures. Praying for both you and your wife.
    Thanks Lamont. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. My ordeal is nothing compared to what the two of you went through.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Hey Pete,

This is called coming late to the party. Now that I know that you are weight bearing, a simple exercise for blood flow to prevent DVT's and work your calf muscles while sitting at edge of bed is...... Just checking to see if they told you. If you do this exercise while laying down you have to be careful of..... and need to use what?
    Ankle pumps are part of my routine. Is that what you mean?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Been away for awhile, so just now read about your accident.

So sorry to learn of this.

No advice except to say don't do what I did after destroying my ankle in a low-speed motorcycle accident: I failed to follow doctor's orders after returning home.

So my counsel is, to the best of your ability, follow doctor's directions, and do the assigned exercises when you graduate to physical therapy.

As to the future? "Burn that bridge when you get to it" as Jane Ace would say in her old radio show. (Along with other malaprops: "Time wounds all heels," among them.)

Hoping for a good and swift-as-possible recovery along with an added measure of wisdom when decisions must be made.

Warmly,
    Steve
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This facilty I'm in is really amazing at what they do for patients here. I had some concerns earlier due to my misunderstanding, combined with a cataclysm of events at the facility that prevented them from being as responsive to my needs as they might otherwise have been. Their case manager, nutritionist and a PT were all out sick when I first arrived. Looking back on it now, I realize what extraordinary efforts they were making on my behalf, unknown to me at the time.

Today, I walked 1500 feet unaided except for a walker. We are now looking at a much earlier date for my discharge to home care than originally envisioned. I still have at least 2 months of rehab work ahead of me, but knowing I'll be able to do most of it at home is very encouraging.

Thanks for all your morale support, advice and warm wishes; they really have helped.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Great job!!!

Spyder Garage

Utah,

I sent a PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This facilty I'm in is really amazing at what they do for patients here. I had some concerns earlier due to my misunderstanding, combined with a cataclysm of events at the facility that prevented them from being as responsive to my needs as they might otherwise have been. Their case manager, nutritionist and a PT were all out sick when I first arrived. Looking back on it now, I realize what extraordinary efforts they were making on my behalf, unknown to me at the time.

Today, I walked 1500 feet unaided except for a walker. We are now looking at a much earlier date for my discharge to home care than originally envisioned. I still have at least 2 months of rehab work ahead of me, but knowing I'll be able to do most of it at home is very encouraging.

Thanks for all your morale support, advice and warm wishes; they really have helped.
    ...........Mike

Spyder Garage

"but knowing I'll be able to do most of it at home is very encouraging."
    Fantastic news Pete. Isn't it fun when you find out you are doing better then they thought you would? Keep on fooling them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quick update on my story. Yesterday, I was able to walk 1500 feet unaided except for a walker. Today was my surgeon's followup visit and he is quite pleased with the results. He sees no reason to delay my returning home to finish PT any longer than my PT and I can agree I'm ready. Preferably before Christmas.

I can get in and out of bed myself now, and even get to the toilet myself. I credit the incredible skill of the surgeon, the patience and persistence and knowledge of my PT and OT, and the amazing kindness and skilled support of the management and staff of the Utah State Veterans home. I never knew such amazing people existed.

I had a rough time of it the first week at the facility, mentally and emotionally, but I got through it with the love and support of my wife Jane Baker Patten, my sister and brother-in-law and a few friends I didn't realize I had.

The one great outcome of this is that this facility is now training its staff in recognizing PTSD and responding appropriately to patients suffering from it. You would think this would be a given in a State Veterans' Home, but until having to deal with me it just wasn't on their radar. Many thanks to my wonderful wife, for understand the source of my bizarre behavior and helping the staff to realize i wasn't just some difficult person who needed to be tranquilized.

Finally, I want every American to know that the VA does an incredible job for veterans and their families. The resources available to veterans are broad and deep. The VA really does exemplify President Abraham Lincoln's charge to help those who have borne the burden of war - veterans and their families.

And don't let anyone tell you the VA isn't doing its job for veterans. From my experience, I believe that any veteran in need can find the resources they need from the VA.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-07-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

And don't let anyone tell you the VA isn't doing its job for veterans. I'm here to tell you that any veteran in need can find the resources they need from the VA.

I won't go into detail b/c this is your thread. I was cut loose from the VA health care system a while ago b/c I had no service connected disability. They said I could be on 'space available' and then I'd have to pay the going rate for any service provided. The going rate was what a civilian doctor or hospital would charge. Since I am retired military I continued with Tricare (or Tricare for life), of course to do that I pay for Medicare. But, I am glad that you are being treated well, and continue to progress.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-07-2022 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Pete a grateful heart is a trmendous asset in the healing process. Keep going my friend.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Hang in there Pete------ It will only get better from here........

Lew
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

hoping you heal fast and at least you can remember your accident, me i'm missing a few weeks of 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    hoping you heal fast and at least you can remember your accident, me i'm missing a few weeks of 1979
    I'm sorry to hear that. My memory seems to be okay as I fortunately didn't incur a head injury.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, I hope your recovery continues to go well. I broke my ankle slipping on ice about 4 years ago. Luckily I didn't need any surgery and I was pretty much back in regular activities in 4 weeks time but had to be careful and gentle. Now I'm much more afraid of walking on ice than I ever used to be.
    After reading about the cause of your accident I find myself being extra careful on the stairs now!

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today, at breakfast I met our newest patient and his gracious daughter. Richard will be 99 years old two days before Christmas. He has dementia, but also an alert mind and a wry sense of humor. He is a medical doctor who graduated from MD School at age 23. He subsequently attended Harvard and Columbia Universities and was destined to become a research scientist, but chose to work with patients. At some point he joined the Army and was the Chief Medical Officer at Fort Sill. He also graduated Juilliard School of music, was a published composer and concert pianist.

I meet the most amazing vets here. Roy is a strapping 74 year old now confined to a wheel chair, but still carries himself with the dignity and bearing of the Army Intelligence Officer he once was. He was actually stationed at Chau Doc in Vietnam at the same time as me, although we had no reason to cross paths back then.

Larry is a former Navy Combat Photographer who, among other things, was sent to document the aftermath of bombing runs, napalm attacks and such in Vietnam. He has images of burned villages, dead and maimed villagers and other such devastation that we wreaked on the populace burned vividly into his memory. He has been struggling with PTSD-related behavioral issues ever since and is an embittered man.

Ben is Korean War Era Navy veteran. He's also full-blooded Native American from Miami, Arizona. He was assigned to a hospital ship and as a naive 17-year-old had the job of unloading the dead and wounded from the arriving choppers. He's never gotten over that, but still has a pleasant, easy-going way about him.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You have a very interesting crew there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today, I was able to go home. Much as I looked forward to being in my normal habitat, I knew I would miss the friends I had made there and the unique camaraderie of military vets with a shared experience.

One of my nurses is an Air Force veteran who served in AF Intelligence at Danang when it came under heavy mortar and rocket attack. He was wounded but a young private he was with bled out from a shrapnel wound to the gut before 'Stump' could get him to the hospital tent. Stump went into nursing mid-life and came out of retirement at 76 to work with vets again. 20221219_090013.jpg

I met an 87 year old veteran everyone calls 'Commander'. He first went to war in Korea as a Navy Electricians Mate, subsequently got selected for OCS and went into Vietnam commanding one of the first Seal teams ever assembled. He was awarded a Silver Star by President Eisenhower.

And then, of course there's Roy, who happened to be stationed at Chau Doc in Army Intelligence the same time I was there supporting the Navy Riverine Divisions; we spent many a meal together recalling our experiences there. He is 6'4" btw.
    20221220_120459.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-21-2022 at 12:10 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum