Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Pete - wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. And THANK YOU for your service.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete I am so sorry to hear about your accident and its disastrous results. I have long been in the habit of counting stair steps after doing what you did but only breaking several toes. Your active lifestyle and relative good shape will stand you in good stead as you recover. We don't comeback as fast as we used to( now 76) but you will also amaze those around you at how fast you do come back. If you need anything I am not that far away. I will pm you my number. I hope all the best in your recovery.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Pete, from your description of your life you're one of those guys who knows only one position for the engine telegraph, Full Ahead - Flank Speed. You will heel; best wishes for a speedy recovery, and listen to the care givers!
    Ha, you've certainly got me pegged. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ha, this would be right up your alley! Comment away!
    I had started to respond and was almost done with the thread, and it vanished. I'm too lazy to start over again. Let me just say that I hope that they are providing physical therapy b/c there are a lot of movements that can be done without flexing/extending the knees. Also, you have an upper body. Get well quickly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sending many, many ..... three years ago I returned to Downhill skiing. This year it's looking very doubtful. ... During this past Summer, I began having leg pains in my right leg from just walking in the woods ( with R/C truck ) .... It got worse as the summer went on ..... the problem is they don't know what's wrong..... 35 years ago I began loosing sensation in my toes, it has now progressed to just above my knee's. ( I don't remember the medical term for this condition, but there is one ).... These two things might be related. I already have my Season pass, but have been hesitant to try and Ski..... I will attempt it tho ...... good luck ....Mike ...... I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just thought it was sort of re-lated because of the age thing .....
    Was it peripheral neuropathy?

Spyder Garage

Speaking from experience the only thing I can add is. No matter what, be nice to your nurses.
    They can and will do anything for you if you treat them fairly.
    Heal quick.

Spyder Garage

It warmed our hearts knowing it went to a good home. And the improvements you made to it were inspirational for many. I hear you loud and clear about not pushing the recovery! Hope to meet up with you two again on one of our trips through that area of the country.
    We will be looking forward to it Pete!
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Speaking from experience the only thing I can add is. No matter what, be nice to your nurses. They can and will do anything for you if you treat them fairly. Heal quick.
    Nurses and CNAs both. We are all trying to make the best of it and they know I appreciate them.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I had started to respond and was almost done with the thread, and it vanished. I'm too lazy to start over again. Let me just say that I hope that they are providing physical therapy b/c there are a lot of movements that can be done without flexing/extending the knees. Also, you have an upper body. Get well quickly.
    I am getting PT, but I'd like to get more than their limited staff can provide. I'm trying to figure out how to augment what I'm getting, even if I pay out of pocket for it. I had them rig a trapeze above the bed so i can use that to lift myself up somewhat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, get well soon.

Spyder Garage

I am getting PT, but I'd like to get more than their limited staff can provide. I'm trying to figure out how to augment what I'm getting, even if I pay out of pocket for it. I had them rig a trapeze above the bed so i can use that to lift myself up somewhat.
    Excellent idea; positioning and exercise in one. I didn't know if you had one or not. My original post that I lost mentioned resistance bands that can be hooked to various places on the bed for exercise, or the bands can be used without hooking up to the bed. Some people would just lay around if you let them and that's when pneumonia takes hold; so, good idea with the trapeze.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent idea; positioning and exercise in one. I didn't know if you had one or not. My original post that I lost mentioned resistance bands that can be hooked to various places on the bed for exercise, or the bands can be used without hooking up to the bed. Some people would just lay around if you let them and that's when pneumonia takes hold; so, good idea with the trapeze.
    Good idea on the exercise bands.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! I can say I have literally felt your pain.... Mine was motorcycle related but same debilitating outcome. I wish you the best and hopefully a better long term outcome than mine! I am 6 years down the road and there are a LOT of things I still can no longer do...

Do what the professionals tell you and be steadfast in your mindset that you are GOING TO GET BETTER! My doctors told me they were shocked I got as far as I did... And I attribute that to being able to look past the pain and current limitations and push forward....
    Last edited by hypurone; 12-05-2022 at 01:03 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune! I can say I have literally felt your pain.... My was motorcycle related but same debilitating outcome. I wish you the best and hopefully a better long term outcome than mine! I am 6 years down the road and there are a LOT of things I still can no longer do...

Do what the professionals tell you and be steadfast in your mindset that you are GOING TO GET BETTER! My doctors told me they were shocked I got as far as I did... And I attribute that to being able to look past the pain and current limitations and push forward....
    Excellent advice. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reading your story I thought you'd been in a bike/car/truck/plane crash. Thanks also for the reminder that I take too many things for granted.

Get well soon and get back amongst it.
    Last edited by askitee; 12-04-2022 at 07:33 PM.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

UtahPete,

I'm going to PM you something. Just read it now; just read and nothing else. Once you are out of the hospital, and you start out patient rehab talk to the P.T. about it.

Spyder Garage

Do as you are told and I hope you completely heal.
    I'm 83 and my wife of 56 years died last year. I was a mess and still am to some extent. Within 2 months of her death 1) I fell down the basement stairs 2) I tripped and fell headlong onto the furnace room floor 3) fell over in the garden and very nearly fell over the sunken driveway wall.

Somebody, somewhere must have been looking out for me 'cos I hardly damaged myself at all.

Very sorry to hear that your fall had severe repercussions

How far is the hospital from your home? It could turn into a real chore for your wife to travel a lot every day.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 12-04-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Do as you are told and I hope you completely heal. I'm 83 and my wife of 56 years died last year. I was a mess and still am to some extent. Within 2 months of her death 1) I fell down the basement stairs 2) I tripped and fell headlong onto the furnace room floor 3) fell over in the garden and very nearly fell over the sunken driveway wall. Somebody, somewhere must have been looking out for me 'cos I hardly damaged myself at all.

Very sorry to hear that you fall had severe repercussions. How far is the hospital from your home? I could turn into a real chore for your wife to travel a lot every day.
    Well, you are fortunate that none of your falls have resulted in severe injury. I hope your good luck continues. Losing your wife after so many years has to be a real blow to your sense of well-being; I'm very sorry about that.

The facility is an easy 45 minutes away. She visits with fresh fruit and vegetables every other day or so.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

One last item to think about. I know you have a trapeze, but have they talked to you about pressure ulcers and the need for repositioning thru out the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One last item to think about. I know you have a trapeze, but have they talked to you about pressure ulcers and the need for repositioning thru out the day.
    No, they have not discussed with me any sort of care plan. I feel like I'm being warehoused for a fee.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Crikey Pete. One itty bitty little step.... and its all on big time. Pleased they managed to patch you up and your on the road to recovery. I would make a list of questions you may wish to ask as they come to mind. I guess its going to be a bit of a journey to you back to doing stuff you enjoyed before. Hang in there. One step at a time.

A Bloke once said to me that the longest journey starts with the smallest step.

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui (Be strong, be brave, be steadfast)

Spyder Garage

No, they have not discussed with me any sort of care plan. I feel like I'm being warehoused for a fee.
    This is a BIG one! I would be the squeaky wheel here!! Even with the automated leg stimulators I had when in the hospital, I got a DVT! Also, don't get freaked out, but, you will experience muscle atrophy. It will be a shock when you attempt to use your legs and start walking and they don't work as planned... Keep calm and carry on. It ALL comes back, just VERY slowly and with determination....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that, Pete……but it’s great to see that smile on your face, even lying in a hospital bed. Here’s hoping for as speedy a recovery as possible. We have probably all done a similar thing in our twenties, but everything just springs back into place…..not so much after you reach your sixties

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    This is a BIG one! I would be the squeaky wheel here!! Even with the automated leg stimulators I had when in the hospital, I got a DVT! Also, don't get freaked out, but, you will experience muscle atrophy. It will be a shock when you attempt to use your legs and start walking and they don't work as planned... Keep calm and carry on. It ALL comes back, just VERY slowly and with determination....
    Thanks for that. I squeaked enough the top administrator came in and asked where they should move me to since i wasn't happy here. End result is she learned a lot about her internal communication systems, or lack thereof, and is determined to fix them. I think she means it. I just want leave this place with it better prepared to meet veterans' needs, because most of them are in no shape to challenge the system.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, concerns and well wishes. I'm new at this complete dependence on others thing.

I am able to swing myself out of bed with the trapeze rig, and stand and walk with the aid of a walker (recent development), so the leg atrophy thing isn't an issue any longer (or the bed sores).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Crikey Pete. One itty bitty little step.... and its all on big time. Pleased they managed to patch you up and your on the road to recovery. I would make a list of questions you may wish to ask as they come to mind. I guess its going to be a bit of a journey to you back to doing stuff you enjoyed before. Hang in there. One step at a time.

A Bloke once said to me that the longest journey starts with the smallest step.

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui (Be strong, be brave, be steadfast)
    Good advice. I can never be reminded too much. Patience isn't one of my virtues.
    2014 RTL Platinum