Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My current ride is a 2011 RT - is the 1330 that much better?

So I have a nice 2011 RT with manual trans. with 40K on it. I keep looking at 2015-16 as I think I want the bigger engine. I haven't ridden a 1330cc engine there is no RT in my location. I have 50 years of Motorcycle riding (2 Wheel) it was time to change to 3 wheels as I'm 77 The wife wants to stay with are current ride!! So tell me is the change of engine to 1330 that much better in performance or ??.
    Thanks for your input. Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cahoots5 View Post
    So I have a nice 2011 RT with manual trans. with 40K on it. I keep looking at 2015-16 as I think I want the bigger engine. I haven't ridden a 1330cc engine there is no RT in my location. I have 50 years of Motorcycle riding (2 Wheel) it was time to change to 3 wheels as I'm 77 The wife wants to stay with are current ride!! So tell me is the change of engine to 1330 that much better in performance or ??.
    Like Night & Day ...... I started with two V-twin Spyders .... then at Spyderfest 2014 I test rode the new 1330 RT .... I bought one when I got home that month. I'm an x-Goldwinger and I like riding at 2100 rpm's vs.4100 rpm's ... I like to hear my Stereo ... I like less maintenance etc. ..... I'm sure you will get similar comments ... the 1330 came out in 2014 and that year had NO DEFECTIVE Sprocket issues .... unlike the 18 + models ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If YOU are happy with the 2011 998 Manual RT and nothing is wrong with it, why change???

We had a 2011 RT A&C (audio & convenience pkg) SE 5 of course. This was Linda's first spyder. Over 40K absolute trouble free miles over 6 years before we traded up to F3's. She rode the 2014 RT (1330 engine) a year in between the F3. Liked it better than the 998...but...that was her choice.

There is a difference in the 1330 to 998 engine...but if you don't go there, it will not be missed.

Both engines are great in their own ways.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default All about the Money

...Well folks it is always about your money.

You and the wife need to carefully consider the fact of moving up a few years and the true cost. Most people want the nicer and newer things. They never stop and analyze as they should.

A year or two down the road may make a big problem for someone.
    Health issues are not going to disappear. Monthly living costs will still be a monthly deal.

If you and the wife are in good health. Both feel good about it. Moving forward is on your plate.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No the performance is not better with the 1330. What you get with the 1330 is lower RPM, better gas milage and longer between oil changes. Now if you talk between 2011 RT and now 2022 RT there are many other things that have improved a lot; but engine performance is about the same, i.e., top end speed and how fast you get there. Just my opinion.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Here is what I found, My 2010 was fine if it was just me, but with two of us I could really feel the drag. The 1330 feels like it gets me there faster and feels "better" at higher speeds. Also, my Pedal Commander feels as though it drastically speeds up response time, and makes the throttle feel far more responsive and easier to use.

All of that said, before spending five figures, I'm sure their is either a dealership you can get to where you can take a test ride, or perhaps a Spyder you can rent on Turo. Where in CA are you?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

For example, this guy will rent you a 2021 RT for $95 a day east of Los Angeles....
    https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...imited/1406121
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Steve, You need to convince the Judge (your wife) that a late model bike is worth looking into. I'm afraid your going to get a Hung Jury asking us. "Happy wife, Happy life"........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

There's no denying that the 1330 is a torquier motor, with grunt coming on strong right off idle.... so if you're used to low revving motors, or if higher revs are a problem for you/the way you ride your V-Twin, that can be attractive; and the better fuel economy & longer service intervals can also be attractive for some...... But I didn't buy my Spyder to be a lazy, economical, & cheap to maintain addition to my life; I like to rev out and RIDE my revvy V-Twin 2013 RT; and to me, the 1330 powered Spyder's are no longer lean, mean, & exciting to ride machines, but simply excessively & needlessly 'plush', heavier, & lazier engined machines when compared to the lighter, peppier, revvier, and down-right more exciting V-Twin powered Spyders! And I've not yet met a 1330 powered Spyder that matches the outright buzz I get from working that mildly enhanced V-Twin motor in my mildly enhanced 2013 RT!

Sure, the 1330 powered Spyder's can be 'nice', and you can even 'have fun' on one; they even make for reasonable touring &/or towing - it's actually a great motor in a 'pretty good' package, albeit excessively optioned with basically useless fripperies and suffering from a few 'poor execution' issues in an otherwise remarkable piece of engineering.... but to me, the 1330 motor just isn't exciting, and even when you use the entire rev range & wring it right out occasionally (or more often ) it still feels lazy & sounds like you're ever-revving an old Singer sewing machine in order to try to & force it to behave like a Ferrari!

Yes, I know that you need to get & keep the revs up a bit on the V-Twins to get into & stay in the power band (& keep the SE5's clutch happy ) but the V-Twins rev out a fair bit higher than the 1330's, so their overall 'useful rev range' is somewhat wider than the 1330's; and if you get an ECU Upgrade done to remove the senseless de-tuning restrictions that BRP put on these motors in order to keep the masses from enjoying themselves too much, the V-Twin motor especially can score an extended rev range that unleashes even more power, and yet STILL remains within the factory deemed 'safe & reliable' rev range used by the same motors in other applications. Plus, if you are strong enough to resist the temptation to use the extra revs & power all the time, an ECU Upgraded V-Twin can get very nearly the same fuel economy as the 1330's, altho because of the V-Twin's smaller gas tank, you'll never quite match the longer range the 1330 powered Spyders can get from the extra usable gallon or so they can hold in their tank!

Still, while I don't know about you, Cahoots, but for ME, there just isn't any Spyder available with the 1330 motor that excites me enough to want to 'upgrade' (or more correctly for me, down-grade! ) to a 1330 - and even the handling improvements offered by the 2020+ Spyders don't tempt me, ESPECIALLY since they only come with that bloody annoying & fiddly digital dash & integration software that doesn't work well for so many & not at all for some!! So at least for now, I'm still gonna be sticking with my mildly enhanced 2013 RT with it's mildly enhanced V-Twin motor and it's clear, easy to read & use dash, with no 'useless to me' extra fripperies or unwanted, not well executed, 'optional extras' that can't be circumvented easily; and I reckon I'll keep on enjoying riding my V-Twin powered Spyder until I can't ride any more ESPECIALLY if BRP keeps on 'dandifying' & degrading the Spyder package the way I feel they have ever since introducing the 1330 motors!!

But that is just me! YMMV?!

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 06:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Think of it as a VW compared to a Porsche.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for your input on the 2 engines. Steve

Spyder Garage

I'm in Santa Barbara Ca.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Now if you talk between 2011 RT and now 2022 RT there are many other things that have improved a lot
    Enough said. Of course you aren't talking about a 2020+ MY.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I'm in Santa Barbara Ca.

I'm in your general vicinity, so I know what you mean about not having many resources around. Central Coast Yamaha in Santa Maria is a Spyder dealer. They are so-so at best for purchase and NEVER go there for servicing. The sales manager, Jethro, will let you take a short test ride if they have a used one in stock, which is seldom. Ventura Motorsports is no longer a Spyder dealer, however they usually have a used one on the lot. In the past, they've been pretty good about letting you take short test rides on their used inventory.

While I completely respect Peter's opinion and he qualified it, I disagree completely. To me the 1330 ACE engine is miles better than the old Aprilia retread engine. But, hey, that's what makes the world go round.

I started on a 2008 GS and while I found it to be good and interesting, it wasn't quite "there". When they came out with the 1330 in 2014 all it took was one test ride. (A pre-production model at the EICMA show) and I was sold. It felt like what Can Am was trying to do all along.

However, as others have stated it depends on what you want out of your riding experience and what you can afford.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have both 2012 RTL and 2014 RTS. Both white. Both great. I almost pulled the trigger on the an "upgrade" for the 12 but when it comes down to it ....I'd say the only significant changes I wanted were upgraded Brembo braking, less maintenance and a lil less idle rpm. None of which are significant enough to go to any trouble or expense in my opinion. I still recommend for those wanting to save $$$ that they will enjoy the hell out of the v-twin models and not miss a thing on their rides. It's not going to diminish your experience on a spyder.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi, cahoots5.
    I've owned all three generations of Spyder RTs.
    I'd say yes, if you can afford it, move up to the 1330 engine.
    The engine itself gives you some marginal improvement in mileage, but the performance improvements are generally imperceptable for the typical rider that doesn't flog the machine. You have a manual transmission, so you've avoided the problems of a centrifugal clutch.
    I think you'll find significant improvements in comfort, handling and convenience factors. In my estimation, especially two up, you'll find these improvements a worthy investment.
    But, as with everything, make sure the boss agrees.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    No the performance is not better with the 1330. What you get with the 1330 is lower RPM, better gas milage and longer between oil changes. Now if you talk between 2011 RT and now 2022 RT there are many other things that have improved a lot; but engine performance is about the same, i.e., top end speed and how fast you get there. Just my opinion.
    I agree, though it isn't as straight forward as it may seem.

The 998 has all the power you need. The 1330 just gives it to you at a lower RPM.

Better mileage? If so, I don't think it's by enough to swap bikes. The 1330 has more range because of a bigger tank. But that's not the same thing as better mileage.

Longer between oil changes? There is a great deal of evidence that this is more of a marketing item than meets the eye. Testing on the BRP oil in both the 998 and the 1330 show that it begins to shear at about 4,500 miles. At around 5,000 miles (again, this is true of both engines) the OEM oil shears down to 20 weight. This was not acceptable in the 998 so service interval was 4,500 miles. Exactly where the BRP oil starts to go away. Magically, after many customer complaints about short service intervals. The interval was changed to 9,300 miles for the 1330. Is it OK to run 20 weight oil for 4,300 miles in the 1330 but not in the 998? Seems so.

Creature comforts have improved over the years. As has out of the box handling from the 2011 RT.

The best thing to do is to ride the Spyder model that you are interested in. No one can tell you what you are going to like better. There are a lot of good things about the 2011 RT that you have. Cost is certainly a big one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We ride a 2011 RTL as well. Love it! We rented a 2018/1330cc when on a trip this past spring and truthfully, we didn't notice anything that much more "special" about it, at least as far as the ride or extra power. Our 2011 is one that the mechanics generally tell us is "hard to find anything wrong on this one", and that's a BIG reason for not switching to a newer one yet. As long as our dealer can still source the parts (which can be scarce for older models), we have been and will continue to be very happy with our oldie but goodie.
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I have a mildly enhanced 2013 RT SM5 and agree with your well written submission.

Spyder Garage

You talked about an ECU Upgrade. What is it and where do you get it? Dealership or...?

Spyder Garage

Probably talking about a pedal box…. LaMonster has them for 998 now, and Martinthevolger
    has them as well

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 then upgraded to a ( my current spyder) which is a 2014 RTS-SE6 which as the "1330" engine.

What sold me on the 2014 RTS-SE6 was the low maintenance, the "1330" engine, 6 speed, you can go father on a tank of gas, more torque, lower RPM's you can cruise around town at a lower RPM, more power to tow even with passenger, they pushed the fans away from the drivers feet, comfortable seat.

I would go with a 2014 Spyder and up.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have ridden both. I was not really impressed with the larger engine. Maybe it is a little better, but I would definitely not pay a few thousand dollars for the "upgrade".
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I like the "1330 Ace Engine" better than the 998 engine. The "1330 Ace engine" is much quieter, and smoother, and it has more power, than the 998 engines. I had both kinds of engines. My current spyder has the 1330 Ace Engine and it is a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I'm in your general vicinity, so I know what you mean about not having many resources around. Central Coast Yamaha in Santa Maria is a Spyder dealer. They are so-so at best for purchase and NEVER go there for servicing. The sales manager, Jethro, will let you take a short test ride if they have a used one in stock, which is seldom. Ventura Motorsports is no longer a Spyder dealer, however they usually have a used one on the lot. In the past, they've been pretty good about letting you take short test rides on their used inventory.

While I completely respect Peter's opinion and he qualified it, I disagree completely. To me the 1330 ACE engine is miles better than the old Aprilia retread engine. But, hey, that's what makes the world go round.

I started on a 2008 GS and while I found it to be good and interesting, it wasn't quite "there". When they came out with the 1330 in 2014 all it took was one test ride. (A pre-production model at the EICMA show) and I was sold. It felt like what Can Am was trying to do all along.

However, as others have stated it depends on what you want out of your riding experience and what you can afford.
    I also started with a 2008 GS manual tranny. We had an 09 also with the semi auto tranny. As soon as the RT came out I jumped on that, but had to wait until 2014 for the 1330. Four 998's and three 1330's. I am a fan of the 1330's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red