Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    The high pitched whine was so annoying it took all the fun out of riding, so we just ordered the sprockets and bolts last year as it was going to be very inconvenient to take a full Saturday in order to complete the warranty replacement. No regrets, it was money well spent and I was able to properly adjust the drive belt tension & alignment.
    You do understand that this recall is not for sprocket whine ? And that you probably didnt get the latest sprocket replacement kit.
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1, Check your Numbers
    The white sprocket is not the latest sprocket
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 01-28-2023 at 09:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2015 to 2020 ..... I think ..... Mike
    2015-2019
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 01-28-2023 at 09:58 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Replaced

... I am so very glad to report that I had my Front Sprocket replaced yesterday. I had been on the local BRP Spyder Dealer list since mid-September 2022.

It is too wet and cold to Ryde in Indiana.
    So I had to trailer my Spyder to and from the Dealer.

They said that it was about an hour's job.
    They had no problems with the job.

Nothing was said about waiting for the 'special locktite' to dry. As I will not Ryde till later, all should be good to go.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2023 at 03:32 PM. Reason: too ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I had my sprocket replaced today. It took a little over an hour. This was my fourth and, hopefully, final sprocket. I have 70,500 miles on my F3-S and hope to get 100,000 before I replace it.
    Last edited by JKMSPYDER; 02-12-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I had 38k on my 2015 RTL but decided to get it replaced. Done at Freedom Powersports in Lewisville, TX. They had to cut the old sprocket off but BRP paid for the extra time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    I had 38k on my 2015 RTL but decided to get it replaced. Done at Freedom Powersports in Lewisville, TX. They had to cut the old sprocket off but BRP paid for the extra time.
    That’s interesting to heat, dbaucum. So BRP ARE paying extra for difficult removals. Great news for dealers.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What can I say, "BRP does love Loctite". Guess they have many barrels to use up.

Spyder Garage

A couple of months late to this thread. I had mine done in mid November. Dropped it off mid week and picked it up the next week. I have no idea about any wait time for the Loctite, was never told anything. I do know there was a backup of sprocket repairs so that is why I dropped it off early. He showed me the old sprocket and yeah it sure needed replacing.

Anyway I've been riding it as much as I could this winter including dragging my wife along on the better days. I feel confident enough in the repair (so far) that I have a mid spring 3,000 mile tour planned with my Spyder riding buddy.
    I sure hope I make it home again. I was very disappointed in having it sit in the garage unused for six months. I swore then I would never buy another CanAm product. After all they have known about this for a lot of years. If this trip goes well, I might change my mind.

Spyder Garage

had mine replaced this past Wednesday, 8 Fed. 2023 and a BIG THANK YOU to the team at HUNTER MOTORSPORTS in Hendersonville, NC for a job well done...
    my 2019 F3-S now has its 3rd and hopefully LAST sprocket... 1st one was replaced by #2 at 4480 miles on 22 Aug. 2022, this new one (3rd) was at 18,890 miles of smiles...
    just to be cautious, i've witness-marked mine and will check it periodically to see if there is any movement, see the pix...
    see y'all on the road....
    IMG_20230212_102003_DRO.jpg IMG_20230212_101911_DRO.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buzzard, your last line, how true how true, and how bout that BRP Connect? Just chatter I know, I put up with those 'minor things' because I do like this machine and I'm gonna keep it.

Spyder Garage

Last year my local dealer said he would have the new sprockets in the last week of August '22. That month came and went. I got tired of calling. This month, Feb '23, I called my dealer and he said, "I heard they have them in." I give up. PS: My front sprocket was replaced (with the old part) two years ago when it broke down on the road.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    A couple of months late to this thread. I had mine done in mid November. Dropped it off mid week and picked it up the next week. I have no idea about any wait time for the Loctite, was never told anything. I do know there was a backup of sprocket repairs so that is why I dropped it off early. He showed me the old sprocket and yeah it sure needed replacing.

Anyway I've been riding it as much as I could this winter including dragging my wife along on the better days. I feel confident enough in the repair (so far) that I have a mid spring 3,000 mile tour planned with my Spyder riding buddy.
    I sure hope I make it home again. I was very disappointed in having it sit in the garage unused for six months. I swore then I would never buy another CanAm product. After all they have known about this for a lot of years. If this trip goes well, I might change my mind.
    Buzzard, I hate to tell you this, but the new final fix sprocket wasn’t even released in November. It is a silver sprocket with a separate spacer (see SPYD3R’s post # 84 for a photo). What you had installed in November is either simply a new sprocket in the old style, or perhaps a white sprocket, which was targeted at removing the whistling in the ‘20 RT models. Neither of those are the final BRP fix, just temporary ones. Either keep a close eye on it, or preferably, get it in to your dealer for the real fix before you head off in Spring, for peace of mind.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-12-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: miss information - misinformation ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am glad to hear someone has gotten the new front sprocket from BRP? I keep getting recall letters from BRP but the dealers around me say they are really having a hard time getting the sprockets. They are told they must take pictures and send them of the front sprockets to determine IF they will be replaced? I have contacted a BRP OEM parts seller to ask about the sprocket and they do not have any of the sprockets? This is a joke! BRP is calling this a safety recall but are doing very little to replace these sprockets.
    2018 F3-T , Matte black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Correct Parts Installed

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.
    I checked my Front Sprocket and found it was correct.
    Hopefully it was installed as per the instructions. Time will tell on that issue.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Buzzard, I hate to tell you this, but the new final fix sprocket wasn’t even released in November. It is a silver sprocket with a separate spacer (see SPYD3R’s post # 84 for a photo). What you had installed in November is either simply a new sprocket in the old style, or perhaps a white sprocket, which was targeted at removing the whistling in the ‘20 RT models. Neither of those are the final BRP fix, just temporary ones. Either keep a close eye on it, or preferably, get it in to your dealer for the real fix before you head off in Spring, for peace of mind.

Pete
    Pete, thank you for your advice and concern. However I do have the silver sprocket. Keep in mind I live 750-800 land miles from Valcourt, Quebec. The vast majority of those miles on Interstate highway. So while my sprocket was rolling down I-81 at 75 mph. your's may have been sitting in a container in Port Long Beach.

Last year my dealer tried to get a NOS sprocket for me so I could ride last summer. CanAm either didn't have any more or just stopped shipping them out. I was told I had to wait. Not a big deal for me because I have a Vespa and a Gold Wing. The trike is for taking out my wife. So I had a solo summer.

I'm doing this spring tour as a shakedown run to see if I have enough faith in the trike to also load it up with wife and trailer for a longer harder trip. We'll see.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Removed political comment

Spyder Garage

Pete, thank you for your advice and concern. However I do have the silver sprocket. Keep in mind I live 750-800 land miles from Valcourt, Quebec. The vast majority of those miles on Interstate highway. So while my sprocket was rolling down I-81 at 75 mph. your's may have been sitting in a container in Port Long Beach.

Last year my dealer tried to get a NOS sprocket for me so I could ride last summer. CanAm either didn't have any more or just stopped shipping them out. I was told I had to wait. Not a big deal for me because I have a Vespa and a Gold Wing. The trike is for taking out my wife. So I had a solo summer.

I'm doing this spring tour as a shakedown run to see if I have enough faith in the trike to also load it up with wife and trailer for a longer harder trip. We'll see.

Wow…..that’s interesting, BUZZARD. Thanks for the info and apologies for the bum steer. The first reports on here about the final fix silver sprockets didn’t start occurring until late December. You Canadians have ALL the luck .

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-13-2023 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 18F3rider View Post
    I am glad to hear someone has gotten the new front sprocket from BRP? I keep getting recall letters from BRP but the dealers around me say they are really having a hard time getting the sprockets. They are told they must take pictures and send them of the front sprockets to determine IF they will be replaced? I have contacted a BRP OEM parts seller to ask about the sprocket and they do not have any of the sprockets? This is a joke! BRP is calling this a safety recall but are doing very little to replace these sprockets.
    My information is that BRP wants the VIN# for sprocket replacement, or so my dealer says. Had a long discussion with the service writer, and there was no mention of having to take a picture of the sprocket to determine IF it would be replaced. Can't see how a picture would determine this.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    My information is that BRP wants the VIN# for sprocket replacement, or so my dealer says. Had a long discussion with the service writer, and there was no mention of having to take a picture of the sprocket to determine IF it would be replaced. Can't see how a picture would determine this.
    Yes, it is indeed a safety recall for specific VINs, oldguy, regardless of the current state of the OEM sprocket. I can only assume that 18F3’s dealer is trying to prioritise those with failing sprockets due to the limited sprockets available, hence the request for photos

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let's continue on with speculation! If BRP was buying sprockets from more than one supplier, and it's only sprockets from one supplier that are the problem, then asking for the VIN implies they actually have good production records that show whose sprockets were installed on which Spyders.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Wow…..that’s interesting, BUZZARD. Thanks for the info and apologies for the bum steer. The first reports on here about the final fix silver sprockets didn’t start occurring until late December. You Canadians have ALL the luck .

Pete
    Oh Pete, don't say that Canadian thing. I never say "eh". My location is NoVA. As in Northern Virginia. BTW the story around here is that my dealer who is very large multi brand and carries, hordes of motorcycles, ski mobiles, side x sides, trikes, trailers etc. and they own everything on their lot. They write a check for everything delivered. Cash is king.

That may have had something to do with it. Plus things were plenty messed up about the time these things were supposed to be shipped. A big trucker strike in Canada and major backups in our west coasts ports. I'm not even sure my sprocket came by way of Valcourt. The sprockets are a USA product. Were they drop shipped to the dealer or a localized distribution center?

Any information from CanAm is questionable. Any story here, no matter how weird, is just as reliable. Maybe more so.

Spyder Garage

Oh Pete, don't say that Canadian thing. I never say "eh". My location is NoVA. As in Northern Virginia. BTW the story around here is that my dealer who is very large multi brand and carries, hordes of motorcycles, ski mobiles, side x sides, trikes, trailers etc. and they own everything on their lot. They write a check for everything delivered. Cash is king.

That may have had something to do with it. Plus things were plenty messed up about the time these things were supposed to be shipped. A big trucker strike in Canada and major backups in our west coasts ports. I'm not even sure my sprocket came by way of Valcourt. The sprockets are a USA product. Were they drop shipped to the dealer or a localized distribution center?

Any information from CanAm is questionable. Any story here, no matter how weird, is just as reliable. Maybe more so.
    Oh nooooooo. Being Aussie, I “assumed” NoVA was short for North Vancouver, BUZZARD …..my apologies for the slight. A similar thing applies out here if someone mistakes a Kiwi for an Aussie, or vice versa.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

2weeks ago

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Dealer called me in early November to say they had a new sprocket for us. Took the Spyder down a week or so later, picked it up during the first week of December.

Since this is the sprocket that I had had welded, I asked about the possibility of keeping it as a spare. Service guy said that if CanAm did not ask for it, I could have it back. I'll check with them this week to see what the status is.

Navydad, which dealer are you working with?

Jackson, Ohio, but haven't heard squat from them. Weather is warming soon and they won't get my bike unless they can turn it quickly. I called them in September and they took my info and said they would call when ready for me. I am going to rattle their cage this week and see what the deal is.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Mystery???

I guess we will never know that answer. BUT we all can make a guess or TWO...

1. Trying to save a Nickel?
    2. A Nickle Saved is a lot of $$$$.

Have Blessed Day. .... ....
    My guess is they changed vendors to save a bit and it has come back to bite them. Vehicle manufacturers are CONSTANTLY looking for less expensive sources for parts and I have seen them change vendors for less than a Nickel per part. I have also seen these changes come back to haunt them.
    2015 RT , Black