Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I questioned the service dept at World Of Power Sports in Peoria about this on 1/18/23. I was told that a fix is not yet available and when it was BRP didn't cover the cost. I called BRP on 1/19/23 and was told a temporary fix which is replacing bolts is available but new sprockets are not yet and BRP will cover the expense. I feel like I may be getting some run around on this by who I'm not sure. Guess I'll just go back to riding when it warms up. Jerry (Coke) Cokel
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post
    I questioned the service dept at World Of Power Sports in Peoria about this on 1/18/23. I was told that a fix is not yet available and when it was BRP didn't cover the cost. I called BRP on 1/19/23 and was told a temporary fix which is replacing bolts is available but new sprockets are not yet and BRP will cover the expense. I feel like I may be getting some run around on this by who I'm not sure. Guess I'll just go back to riding when it warms up. Jerry (Coke) Cokel
    You are certainly getting the run around, Jerry. Many riders have already reported having the new, silver, two piece permanent sprocket fix installed under recall. I’d be a bit worried about that dealer’s competency.

I certainly don’t understand what that BRP person told you. Fix Sprockets are indeed available and have been installed over the last month. Looks like BRP are keeping customers AND their own support staff in the dark. Not that that is unusual.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 01-21-2023 at 02:54 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

T.P.

Just an update, XPS pulley flange cleaner and a soft brush to clean splines
    and take off parts are to be trashed.
    Last edited by T.P.; 01-21-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    No cure time listed.

T.P.
    Interesting, T.P. , thanks………so if there is a later issue attributed to the Loctite breaking down and causing sprocket issues due to it not being given cure time, the dealer will say “hey BRP, you didn’t give us instruction to let it cure”, and BRP will say “it was your responsibility to follow the Loctite installation instructions”…..sorry, but I just can’t help being cynical whenever BRP customer focus comes into the equation

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I’m just a newbie to Spyders, but I have read on here from those in the know, that too many folks keep their belt tension way too high. As I just said, I’m very new to the Spyder world but thinking back on my two wheel days, a properly asjusted motorcycle chain would have a slight sag along the top. Belts, such as our Spyders should be tight enough that there’s no sagging. Mine is 140 pounds, according to my Krikit. It doesn’t skip at all. 25k miles and all is well. I’m not claiming to be a know-it-all. Really I’m not. But how are you guys with F3’s wearing out your sprockets already? Are they made from pressed aluminum foil?
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    I’m just a newbie to Spyders, but I have read on here from those in the know, that too many folks keep their belt tension way too high. As I just said, I’m very new to the Spyder world but thinking back on my two wheel days, a properly asjusted motorcycle chain would have a slight sag along the top. Belts, such as our Spyders should be tight enough that there’s no sagging. Mine is 140 pounds, according to my Krikit. It doesn’t skip at all. 25k miles and all is well. I’m not claiming to be a know-it-all. Really I’m not. But how are you guys with F3’s wearing out your sprockets already? Are they made from pressed aluminum foil?
    It could well be that tight sprocket tension plays a part, DaniBoy, but there are a serious number of Spyder riders out there who have never adjusted their belt tension from factory recommended (tight) specs, and who have never had an issues with their sprockets in many, many thousands of miles.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

But how are you guys with F3’s wearing out your sprockets already? Are they made from pressed aluminum foil?
    It's not just F3s. RTs are affected also. Belt tension apparently has nothing to with the sprocket fretting, or if it does it is such a small contributor that it's negligible. BRP hasn't said what they have determined the cause to be, if they really have. But I believe it has to with rotational vibration, i.e. the engine crankshaft has a minute amount of speeding up and slowing down as the the pistons get pushed down by the combustion explosion and then held back by the compression stroke. This rotational vibration from the engine is probably aggravated and amplified by the minute amount of slack in the transmission gears. If there is any amount of gap between the splines of the transmission output shaft and the splines of the sprocket there is ever so tiny bit of rotational movement between the shaft and sprocket. This tiny bit of movement eventually adds up to a noticeable amount of movement causing red metal dust to be generated and causing the splines of the sprocket to wear away.

The only thing we can be fairly sure of is the sprocket material is softer than the output shaft allowing the sprocket to wear preferentially. Why the 2014 sprockets, on the whole, have not experienced fretting is a huge unknown to the forum members. If BRP knows they ain't saying.

It's also a mystery why some ryders experience sprocket fretting and others do not even when their Spyders are the same year and model. And again, if BRP knows, they ain't saying. Maybe manufacturing tolerances are involved, i.e. parts made to the high side of the specified tolerance range actually act differently than those at the low side of the range.

If BRP had determined belt tension to be a contributor then the repair procedure would include specifications for a revised belt tension requirement.

So, to answer your question, we do not know the why and how!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-21-2023 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added last three sentences,

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The orig. excessive belt tension caused BEARING failures ..... after BRP figuered this out they lowered the Tension and that problem went away for the most part. .... I don't think the belt tension has anything to do with the Sprocket failures. They weren't failing from 08 thru 14 ..... 15 & up have had issues. .... Either BRP changed something or some of the suppliers are screwing with the sprockets they are making .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-23-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    But I believe it has to with rotational vibration, i.e. the engine crankshaft has a minute amount of speeding up and slowing down as the the pistons get pushed down by the combustion explosion and then held back by the compression stroke.!
    I agree with your assessment about crankshaft rotational speed variations. In fact these minute speed changes are how modern car computers can detect the misfiring in any one cylinder. Depending on the manufacturing tolerances on the pulley splines, fretting may or may not occur. Adding Locktite should fill in any clearance between the pulley and shaft splines, BUT only if you let it cure and harden before driving it!!
    BRP may have also changed the material or maybe the heat treatment on the pulleys.
    Jim
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Called into the dealership for my 75k service and they are fitting my new sprocket. Given i was told I'd probably have to wait till Mar/April I am happy. Just hope the new one is actually better that the old ... now about the headlights
    Last edited by askitee; 01-22-2023 at 08:57 PM.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know what years are involved in the sprocket recall? What models, RT or F3 ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by locomotion40 View Post
    Does anyone know what years are involved in the sprocket recall? What models, RT or F3 ?
    2015 to 2020 ..... I think ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by locomotion40 View Post
    If you're wondering if your Spyder is affected check your VIN here. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...okup-list.html

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

MidSouth Motorsports in Clarksville, Tn. ordered mine by VIN. It took about a week to get. Replaced while I waited. 2017 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2015 to 2020 ..... I think ..... Mike
    Just for your info, Mike……they did not include any of the new model RT (‘20 +) in the current recall…….but I’m sure they will get a call at some stage.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just for your info, Mike……they did not include any of the new model RT (‘20 +) in the current recall…….but I’m sure they will get a call at some stage.

Pete
    Probably, since the sprocket part number is the same for all RTs (I didn't check F3s) from 2015 to 2022. The part number changed from 2014 to 2015 and again from 2022 to 2023.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Probably, since the sprocket part number is the same for all RTs (I didn't check F3s) from 2015 to 2022. The part number changed from 2014 to 2015 and again from 2022 to 2023.
    Now, I am just speculating here and don't really know the skinny, but consider this: Later years of manufacture of the same part number could be improved because of an Engineering Change due to discovering a problem and correcting it at some point. Subsequent production would not suffer that particular problem, right? ECs happen all the time, and some would not necessarily cause the part number to change.

Just food for thought.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Now, I am just speculating here and don't really know the skinny, but consider this: Later years of manufacture of the same part number could be improved because of an Engineering Change due to discovering a problem and correcting it at some point. Subsequent production would not suffer that particular problem, right? ECs happen all the time, and some would not necessarily cause the part number to change.

Just food for thought.
    Missouriboy, BRP created a new part number when they released the sprocket which they painted white to address the whistling in the ‘20 RT models. If they had changed “anything” on the original sprocket, they would give it a new part number. If they didn’t give it a new number, how would you know that you weren’t simply buy an older, weak sprocket that a dealer had lying in their back room for years?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    No cure time listed.

T.P.

Just an update, XPS pulley flange cleaner and a soft brush to clean splines
    and take off parts are to be trashed.
    Any chance you can post the Warranty Bulletin? I for one would be interested to see it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Any chance you can post the Warranty Bulletin? I for one would be interested to see it.
    NO, It's a controled document that I had to promise That I would not post.
    I posted my take from that info, You have the doc #'s above, ask your dealer.
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 01-25-2023 at 05:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Got it. I had a similar experience in that I had to sign an NDA with a motorcycle company who can't be named regarding a number of problems I had with one of their 2013 models.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

On Tuesday, Jan 24, reported for sprocket replacement at 11:00 AM. Done and out at 11:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Missouriboy, BRP created a new part number when they released the sprocket which they painted white to address the whistling in the ‘20 RT models. If they had changed “anything” on the original sprocket, they would give it a new part number. If they didn’t give it a new number, how would you know that you weren’t simply buy an older, weak sprocket that a dealer had lying in their back room for years?

Pete
    I was responding to a post (quoted) that implied the part number was NOT changed. And I suggested an EC that does NOT change the product, only the manufacturing process that creates the product.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have an appt Apr 4th 9 am to get sprocket fix and Baja Ron Sway bar installed 8) In Barrie Ontario
    New to the spyder
    2016 F3 LTD
    Stock so far

2016 F3LTD , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The high pitched whine was so annoying it took all the fun out of riding, so we just ordered the sprockets and bolts last year as it was going to be very inconvenient to take a full Saturday in order to complete the warranty replacement. No regrets, it was money well spent and I was able to properly adjust the drive belt tension & alignment.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-28-2023 at 08:40 PM. Reason: inconvenience - inconvenient ;-)