Spyder Garage

Default Is your RT-L brake pedal causing you pain?

Look what I found (and ordered):

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...d-spyderextras

I'll do an install report once it comes in.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Caps %-)

Spyder Garage

Default Slingmods Brake Rod Kit for the Can-Am Spyder RT (2020+) - video included

So if you're like me and have limited mobility in your knee/hip/ankle and find the height of the Can Am Spyder brake pedal just too high, then the Brake Rod Kit is just what the Doctor ordered. I knew within the first 50 miles of riding my Spyder home from the dealer that the brake pedal was going to cause me severe pain on long rides, so I immediately started searching for a solution.

The first item I found was the Lamonster Floor Board Risers (awesome product) but at 6 foot tall and having knee/hip issues, I got ride ending pain in my quadricep, and that kept my rides under 3 hours or I needed to take a 90 minute rest stop.
    So once again the quest for a solution was on, and about 10 days ago I got an email alert about new product from Slingmods - it was the Brake Rod Kit for the Can-Am Spyder RT (2020+) I mulled it over for a day or 2 before I pulled the trigger and had it shipped.

Overall, it is a pretty stout unit, being thicker and heavier than the stock piece. Installation is pretty straight forward, you will need a 5 mm allen key/wrench, 10mm wrench, and a 19 mm wrench (for the jam nut on the new brake rod). I have now completely removed the Lamonster Floor Board Risers (wicked awesome product BTW) and have a nice easy transition between the floorboard and the brake pedal.

ONE THING everybody needs to check is the rear bolt on the clevis (at the brake light switch) - my nut was missing and that could have ended badly for me and my wife. The only thing holding the bolt in was the spring on the brake light switch. .
    The install took me longer than it should have, but I had the Risers to remove and I had to dig through hundreds of nuts to replace the missing one (check your nuts people). The install would have also gone a lot faster if I had at least one ramp to get the trike a little higher, but if my 6 foot 261 pound broken down body can do it, so can you.

I took my time finding just the right height for me, and as of right now, the bottom of the brake pedal sits at just 2 inches and has plenty of throw. I was standing hard on the brakes from 60-65 mph and the trike stopped hard and fast. So here's the video and picture (maybe picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSF_...SLICEofAmerica

brake.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Prefix & Caps ;-)

Spyder Garage

Slice can you post a picture of the missing bolt you speak of? I was working on my 2020 RTL the other week and found where a wiring harness was over top of another connection. It was causing wear and pulling the connection apart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWvK7D9hUwI&t=1s
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

Its a good invention no doubt. Just a bit pricey for what it is compared to the stock one.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DT5534 View Post
    Slice can you post a picture of the missing bolt you speak of? I was working on my 2020 RTL the other week and found where a wiring harness was over top of another connection. It was causing wear and pulling the connection apart.
    i point out the bolt at 4:32

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Its a good invention no doubt. Just a bit pricey for what it is compared to the stock one.
    That price is subjective, Pirate. For me, at 6’7”, it will be worth every penny. It means I can put the stock brake pad back on and still have easy access to cover the pedal with the size 15 boots and bad ankles.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DT5534 View Post
    It’s not a bolt that is missing, DT, but a nut. Stopping would present a REAL issue if the clevis bolt was missing

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It’s not a bolt that is missing, DT, but a nut. Stopping would present a REAL issue if the clevis bolt was missing

Pete
    Slice, great job on the video! I’ll be purchasing one. My question is do you have those stick-on mirrors, those you stick on over the factory mirrors so you have a better view of your blind spots? Thanx Rhino
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 06:08 AM. Reason: many others can't read post titles...so there's no point in using them!
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    Slice, great job on the video! I’ll be purchasing one. My question is do you have those stick-on mirrors, those you stick on over the factory mirrors so you have a better view of your blind spots? Thanx Rhino
    No stick on mirrors, surprisingly I can see perfectly out of the mirrors. Mirrors on any type of vehicle take a little time to get used to and how they should be adjusted.

This is how I adjust my mirrors - I find a parking lot (like a car park) and position myself in front of 2 cars (one on my left & one on my right) with a lane between us (think 3 lane interstate and I'm in the center lane). Being parked, I can fudge with the mirrors all I want; I move forward 2-3 feet at a time until I have ''perfect vision'' in both my mirrors.... This is how it has worked for me for 48 years and was taught to me by a family member that was a long-haul truck driver.

And thanks for the compliment on the video, I'm new to the vlogging and trying like **** to get it going.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Clever idea on the mirrors, Slice……I’ll give that a go…….and by coincidence, I am ordering the stick on mirrors with the new brake rod as my view is slightly restricted by my hands with the Helibars.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

got to go out for a nice 65 mile ride this morning, i noticed that when you get ''HEAT'' into the brakes up you will have to push further down on the pedal, so use caution when setting up your brake rod kit and don't go crazy like i did.
    i believe i shortened mine a full 3 inches over stock and now i have to bring it up about an inch to compensate for brake fade.... i never thought brembo's would fad on a trike that size, but there Ya go.

Stephan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    got to go out for a nice 65 mile ride this morning, i noticed that when you get ''HEAT'' into the brakes up you will have to push further down on the pedal, so use caution when setting up your brake rod kit and don't go crazy like i did.
    i believe i shortened mine a full 3 inches over stock and now i have to bring it up about an inch to compensate for brake fade.... i never thought brembo's would fad on a trike that size, but there Ya go.

Stephan
    Thanks for the feedback, Stephan. I only need to lower mine 3/4”, so I should be fine. Do you have your board risers fitted now, or did the pedal mod remove that requirement for you?

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback, Stephan. I only need to lower mine 3/4”, so I should be fine. Do you have your board risers fitted now, or did the pedal mod remove that requirement for you?

Pete

Pete
    the risers are gone and will stay gone, i also removed the lamonster highway pegs and will. be selling those simply because they don't work for me hip/knee/back.
    so i'll be listing them both in the for sale section at some point to recoup some of my cash..... that stuff is expensive

Spyder Garage

That price is subjective, Pirate. For me, at 6’7”, it will be worth every penny. It means I can put the stock brake pad back on and still have easy access to cover the pedal with the size 15 boots and bad ankles.

Pete
    Just noticed they changed the price to what they were before. When they first came out they were 175. or so.
    21 Spyder base F3