Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-L Farkles - what phone mounts & charging?

First, Thanks in advance. I am learning a whole new bike type here so the questions may seem mundane to some. I am not new to bikes having 27yrs and 750k miles on different types, dozens of track days, and more than a couple cross country trips. I do 90% of my own work as well, but do a ton of research prior to a new project.

My wifey wants to charge her android and have it accessible much like I have on my bikes. I use Ramball mounts and install charging ports for mine, but the bikes don't have the sensitive electrical system that I hear these do. It does have this completely useless GPS mount right where she wants the phone that I would love to yank out. I don't plan to replace the GPS it should have come with. The mount though seems like a good design if it wasn't pinned specifically for the GPS. Is there a way to convert it to a phone mount? If not, what are the best options for removing the one and putting in the other?

The follow on is where is everyone mounting their charger ports? I usually run a switchable one straight to the battery for when the bike is off but we need a quick charge and a "hot when on" one for normal use. I am nervous about adding to the electrical system as I have heard about issues doing so. What are the "safe" ways of doing so that will not leave my wife stranded halfway from Kommiefornia and Ohio?

The lighter port in the frunk blows chargers so I have to look into that one. I have heard they get hooked up backwards. I have yet to dig in that far. the other connector is missing entirely so i am sure someone messed with this previously.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    I ride to feel free
    I vote to stay free
    I serve to be free

2013 Spyder ST-L 15k miles
    2013 ST-L , White

Spyder Garage

Vendors on home page have fair assortment of mounts & Chargers with various connections. Definitely suggest fig out the lighter port before adding & burning out whatever new you decide on. Some have added water proof USB port to the rocker switch dash.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Notes I collected from DIY on my 2013 ST-S.

12V Frunk Power
    You can make the outlet in your trunk operational even when your Spyder is turned off by moving fuse #6 in the right hand fuse box to the #7 position. See page 145 of your Owners Manual. I use a dual USB in my trunk and charge the Sena's when we stop for lunch.

STS Dash wiring switch location

The outside right is fog lights. Second from right is air suspension and is not documented on the wiring diagram because officially it is not an option on the ST.

Go with the fog light plug as a trigger for a relay to power accessories. The running light circuit that lights up the switches is orange with a red tracer. Goes on and off with the key. Would be fine for a usb plug.

The fog light circuit is light green with a gray tracer. It goes on and off with the load shedding relay that energizes when the engine starts.
    Ground is the black wire.

Marine Switches for Driving lights and Heated Grips. Waterproof and an exact fit to the
    Spyder switch cutouts. Available on Amazon.

Momentary marine switch for the garage door opener. Fits in the slot for the suspension air pump (2nd from the right).

USB and Voltmeter. Purchased from EBay
    Red Dual USB 12V Car Boat Socket Rocker Switch Panel with Voltage Voltmeter ( 262690106374 )

I cut a small rectangular hole in the switch panel of my 2013 STS and installed this USB outlet / voltmeter. Wired into my auxiliary fuse block.
    Easy to read Voltmeter and it provides access to USB for charging my Sena and Iphone.
    So far the meter has sustained heavy rain and a vigorous washing.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack