Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

BRP used to read our posts regularly.

The thread is eye-opening. For me, I have aged out due to health. Once sold, my riding days on Spyders and motorcycles will be over.

You guys and gals are still stuck with me until SL tells me otherwise.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    BRP used to read our posts regularly.

The thread is eye-opening. For me, I have aged out due to health. Once sold, my riding days on Spyders and motorcycles will be over.

You guys and gals are still stuck with me until SL tells me otherwise.
    I've followed you from Alaska to the lower 48 and you're not leaving me now. Knowledge and experience trumps health when it comes to helping others on this site.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Our Spyder was at our local dealer to get warranty work replacing the front tires, I said to him, so who is the Spyder guy/expert here ? He said None of us are and said we all hate working on them !!! Well that's encouraging to hear ! So I asked just for conversation, what the front lug torque is set at and they said " I dont know ?" They just guessed at it because when I got it back home I checked and it was about 180 lbs !!!!!! I don't trust anyone to work on my Spyder, I would rather skip the warranty and do it myself at this point...
    I feel your pain ...... however you don't have to " skip the warranty " ....here in the U.S. we have the Moss-Magnussen Act, which requires honoring the Warranty no matter WHO does the work. .... just as long as it's done and you keep proof that it was done as prescribed in the Warranty ..... I learned Not to trust dealers a long time ago, and after the standard warranty expired, I never saw another dealer .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

During the Great Recession of 2009 many new car dealerships sales and service customers in my area flat out quit coming in. Sales of new and used vehicles came to a absolute halt on the high lines we sold. New car deliveries from the manufacturer went from daily to once every couple of months. Our Service Department could of been attacked by 10 gun men and there would of been no one hit. Our best and highest earning customers were now facing bankruptcy. We lost a ton of the most experienced and highest trained technicians, parts people and service advisors in our shop to other occupations.

I said at the time that the industry is going to take years to recover from the loss. Being a service technician no matter what the vehicle, is extremely expensive to be equipped and trained. I imagine cycle, boat and sport dealerships were hit hard too. Post Covid, it’s deja vu all over again. We really blew it again and evidently never learned anything about the past. Good luck to all of the dealers out there trying to be fair and honest and having to hire what often is the bottom of the barrel just to stay alive. I know others in the trades who faced similar worries.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Removed political comment iaw Forum Rule 2
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    During the Great Recession of 2009 many new car dealerships sales and service customers in my area flat out quit coming in. Sales of new and used vehicles came to a absolute halt on the high lines we sold. New car deliveries from the manufacturer went from daily to once every couple of months. Our Service Department could of been attacked by 10 gun men and there would of been no one hit. Our best and highest earning customers were now facing bankruptcy. We lost a ton of the most experienced and highest trained technicians, parts people and service advisors in our shop to other occupations.

I said at the time that the industry is going to take years to recover from the loss. Being a service technician no matter what the vehicle, is extremely expensive to be equipped and trained. I imagine cycle, boat and sport dealerships were hit hard too. Post Covid, it’s deja vu all over again. We really blew it again and evidently never learned anything about the past. Good luck to all of the dealers out there trying to be fair and honest and having to hire what often is the bottom of the barrel just to stay alive. I know others in the trades who faced similar worries.
    I don't agree with where you place the blame for bad dealerships.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display - ?? Still making sense? :-/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I don't agree with where you place the blame for bad dealerships.
    I think I know where Woodenfish is going with this and I tend to agree but if I (we) go any further into it we'll be in violation of #2. I've been slapped before for going there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think I know where Woodenfish is going with this and I tend to agree but if I (we) go any further into it we'll be in violation of #2. I've been slapped before for going there.
    What I’m trying to convey is that good tradesmen are hard to find today in this new era and the development of new workers is costly, time consuming, and it’s extremely difficult to attract good young blood into the industry. I don’t care if you're a technician or a body and fender repairman, whatever, if you have a pulse and are willing to invest in a pair of work boots you have a job in today’s world. There is a long host of reasons and much of it goes into the changes in education and career development of youth which created the perfect storm and I will leave it at that. As consumers our expectations grew to very high levels in a working economy and I think now we are in for a time of adjustment.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 04:04 AM. Reason: you're + 'high very' - 'very high' ;-)
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What I’m trying to convey is that good tradesmen are hard to find today in this new era and the development of new workers is costly, time consuming, and it’s extremely difficult to attract good young blood into the industry. I don’t care if you're a technician or a body and fender repairman, whatever, if you have a pulse and are willing to invest in a pair of work boots you have a job in today’s world. There is a long host of reasons and much of it goes into the changes in education and career development of youth which created the perfect storm and I will leave it at that. As consumers our expectations grew to very high levels in a working economy and I think now we are in for a time of adjustment.
    However, I wouldn't invest any time money, or energy into the BRP spyder repair business. Especially if you had a family to support. Retired or semi retired maybe, I'd dink around with it a bit but I wouldn't consider it as a full time profession. Even if I had all the training, all tools and etc, and a 100 or 200 bay shop to store all the spyder repair jobs waiting for parts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you have hit upon it there in your last sentence. Several generations now have grown up with unrealistic expectations about their futures. Global economics determine overall trends, not our seriously out-of-step economy that is driven by finance rather than industry. 2008 should have been a warning; there are other painful adjustments on the way.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately competent Can AM dealer service is hard to find anywhere in USA. Asking for help from BRP they always refer go to you local dealer...a stock answer to any problems you have... a continuous loop response. My experience through dealerships BRP guru engineering sucks. For me it was they always said try this and see if it works for over six months with my new 2021 RTL in dealership service shop. When I first brought Spyder in to fix cruise control and brake light issues I told them to replace brake switch. Six months later with BRP engineers trying to fix problem my RTL in shop all this time. Frustrated I told them I will purchase a brake switch if they will install it, they agreed they would order a switch and install it... Problem solved I fixed it.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, Problems resolved. I was very nice to the lady service advisor. After 3 hours of waiting, then the service manager comes out and explains the situation to me. He also told me he is new and was brought in to clean up their service issues. They installed the new shock and the seat now stays up like it should. The rewired the light and now it works as it should. The only thing was they charged me another 1/2 hour shop fee, $85, because they said the wiring took a bit longer. I showed them my past receipt that I has already paid for the rewiring but the service lady conveniently switched the subject and told me how pretty my Spyder was and that the other lady that worked there was also drooling over it. Flattery got them everywhere so I paid and left, knowing I paid the stupid tax, but glad the ordeal was over.

Spyder Garage

I picked my Boat up from a dealership just yesterday, I have a Pilot house, and the main cabin door was "wonky" since it was bought 2 years ago (brand new). I've been waiting for a door replacement since I picked it up. Long story short. When I arrived to pick the boat up. The NEW door was worse than the old door. I ended up fixing and adjusting it myself there in their parking lot with their tools, and the young tech. helped me lol Not the techs fault. He was at work trying to learn, if you get my drift.
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Well, Problems resolved. I was very nice to the lady service advisor. After 3 hours of waiting, then the service manager comes out and explains the situation to me. He also told me he is new and was brought in to clean up their service issues. They installed the new shock and the seat now stays up like it should. The rewired the light and now it works as it should. The only thing was they charged me another 1/2 hour shop fee, $85, because they said the wiring took a bit longer. I showed them my past receipt that I has already paid for the rewiring but the service lady conveniently switched the subject and told me how pretty my Spyder was and that the other lady that worked there was also drooling over it. Flattery got them everywhere so I paid and left, knowing I paid the stupid tax, but glad the ordeal was over.
    What about the oil change?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That was my thought also. What about the oil change!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2023 at 06:05 AM. Reason: war - was ... ;-)
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish this were true, Being a Licensed Md. 1st Grade stationary engineer with 10 years experience as a senior engineer at one of the area's major Hospitals.

I went out to find a job at a lot of local businesses after being laid off from doing 20 years of IT work including my old trade of being an engineer.

I have yet to have any of the businesses respond to my resumes or applications even though I held a 1st class power engineers license, an MCP MCSA, and MCSE along with VMware experience and lots of hardware experience.

I even approached the union asking for help to get back in the trade when they were advertising for people. I am a vet and have plenty of good references , good credit, and a clean record. This was all during the pandemic when the market was " wide open"

I ended up working in the medical cannabis industry at a lot lower rate than what I was making so I could at least do some work that I enjoy. It would be nice to get back in the trade but someone needs to respond to my applications.

They keep saying they need people but I see too many post on next door for people looking for work. Something ain't jiving here!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is my understanding of where the job market is presently. There's a big mismatch of supply and demand, but the direction of the mismatch varies considerably by industry, by geography, by demographics. It's going to take years to work itself out to something resembling a rational job market, unfortunately for many people. Your work ethic is admirable and will see you through to the other side, I'm sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I wish this were true, Being a Licensed Md. 1st Grade stationary engineer with 10 years experience as a senior engineer at one of the area's major Hospitals.

I went out to find a job at a lot of local businesses after being laid off from doing 20 years of IT work including my old trade of being an engineer.

I have yet to have any of the businesses respond to my resumes or applications even though I held a 1st class power engineers license, an MCP MCSA, and MCSE along with VMware experience and lots of hardware experience.

I even approached the union asking for help to get back in the trade when they were advertising for people. I am a vet and have plenty of good references , good credit, and a clean record. This was all during the pandemic when the market was " wide open"

I ended up working in the medical cannabis industry at a lot lower rate than what I was making so I could at least do some work that I enjoy. It would be nice to get back in the trade but someone needs to respond to my applications.

They keep saying they need people but I see too many post on next door for people looking for work. Something ain't jiving here!
    Having a such a special skill set normally in high demand in large urban areas would have you better employed in your field if maybe if you weren’t located so rural. Have you seriously considered moving?
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Having a such a special skill set normally in high demand in large urban areas would have you better employed in your field if maybe if you weren’t located so rural. Have you seriously considered moving?
    I moved here from Raleigh after my brother passed away right before the pandemic in 2020. He was the last of my family left there. I moved there in 2011 to help my mother out with my disabled brother after my dad passed away and her health was going downhill she passed in 2015.

My wife made a sacrifice and moved down there with me and helped me out so when my brother passed she wanted to move here to be closer to her family. I was offered a job in DC but they only wanted to pay 65,000 which was way below what I was making plus I would have a commute that started at 4 in the morning and end at about 8 PM. If I was in closer to DC it would be no problem.

But I really like only being about 15 -30 minutes away from work even though I make no where near as much now, plus I really enjoy working around the plants and I was just offered a job at another grow close by for more money plus I get my own room of plants to be able to take care of and take pride in.

I wish I could show pictures of some of the plants I have been working with but I am not allowed to do it. They are some beauties!
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-06-2022 at 06:17 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

What about the oil change?
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    That war my thought also. What about the oil change!!
    Yup, they swore the oil change had been performed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-08-2022 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Yup, they swore the oil change had been performed.
    You're okay with that? Are you willing to say you might have been wrong about them?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-09-2022 at 04:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You're okay with that? You're willing to say you might have been wrong about them?
    No I am not wrong about the lights not being rewired properly or the seat strut being marked as fixed when it was not touched. I don't know how to find evidence one way or the other about whether an oil change was performed other than ask them point blank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

I have yet to have any of the businesses respond to my resumes or applications even though I held a 1st class power engineers license, an MCP MCSA, and MCSE along with VMware experience and lots of hardware experience.....
    Could be multiple things. Based on some of the things you mentioned a few things come to mind. I could be wrong, but with all of the years of experience and military backgroung(thanks for your sevice), I'd guess you're no younger than 40, but likely somewhat older. While it isn't cool, ageism does exists. You mentioned all of the certs as well. You may be submitting resumes to companies that assume they can't afford you for the role they want to fill. On the other side of that, you mentioned getting back into engineering. Current relating experience might be an issue, if you've been away dealing with IT and plants for a long period of time. Lastly, it could simply be something as your resume. I'd recommend getting with 1 of those career folks, I believe most departments of labor have classes/workshops for resume building and things of that nature. Find someone who can help you go over your resume and make any adjustments for the way things are today. Outside of that, I'd also suggest maybe looking into getting that resume into the hands of recruiters or job boards. I don't know if I can post them here and I'm sure you already know a few, but the dept of labor should have a good list of them. You're not far from a lot metropolitan areas and remote work is probably an option. A lot of companies have become a little more open to that since C19 hit the scene.
    If all of that fails, go ahead and start the business you mentioned in a different post
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Could be multiple things. Based on some of the things you mentioned a few things come to mind. I could be wrong, but with all of the years of experience and military backgroung(thanks for your sevice), I'd guess you're no younger than 40, but likely somewhat older. While it isn't cool, ageism does exists. You mentioned all of the certs as well. You may be submitting resumes to companies that assume they can't afford you for the role they want to fill. On the other side of that, you mentioned getting back into engineering. Current relating experience might be an issue, if you've been away dealing with IT and plants for a long period of time. Lastly, it could simply be something as your resume. I'd recommend getting with 1 of those career folks, I believe most departments of labor have classes/workshops for resume building and things of that nature. Find someone who can help you go over your resume and make any adjustments for the way things are today. Outside of that, I'd also suggest maybe looking into getting that resume into the hands of recruiters or job boards. I don't know if I can post them here and I'm sure you already know a few, but the dept of labor should have a good list of them. You're not far from a lot metropolitan areas and remote work is probably an option. A lot of companies have become a little more open to that since C19 hit the scene.
    If all of that fails, go ahead and start the business you mentioned in a different post
    Don't want to hijack the thread anymore than I have but I am happy with what I am doing now and just saying from what is being portrayed about the job market and what I and other people I know experienced in real life is different. I will leave it at that.

Oh and thanks for being so kind and saying 40 for age I'll be 59 here shortly.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-09-2022 at 06:28 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black