Spyder Garage

Default What Life/Mileage can I expect from a 2016 RT engine?

I am considering buying a 2016 RT Limited. I am just concerned with the amount of miles 42,000. How long can I expect an engine to last properly maintained?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2022 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well over 100K. 42 k is just broken in.

Spyder Garage

I would ask the seller for the maintenance history. If he balks, that should tell you something. You could also go to a dealer with the VIN#, and they can look it up. Good luck!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Have dealer Run vin # for recalls & service work. 42k miles- has it even left the state¿

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have 48,000 on mine and have no intention of selling or trading. There are folks here that have quite a bit over 100,000 on their Spyders, but I haven't seen any post where someone has worn one out..................................yet.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum & posting data, hope to hear you've got yourself a Spyder soon!

As for Spyder engines and how long they last, up until 2013 all Spyders ran a variation of the Rotax V-Twin 998 engines, a hi-revving & peppy engine that continued on for a few more years in the RS & ST's; but since 2014, all the RT's & F3's have run the same lower revving but torquier 1330 Triple Cylinder Rotax engines, and there's been more than just a couple of those 1330 powered Spyders reported here on the Forum that've reached over 150K miles... duz'n really matta what type you get, these Rotax engines are pretty good pieces of kit!

Sure, there's now been a couple of V-Twins & maybe even as many as three of the 1330 Triples reported here that've had some engine issues earlier than 150K miles; but on the whole, a well maintained Rotax engine of any type that's only run 42K miles can likely expect to achieve at least twice that again!! So the 2016 RT you're considering now is just a young'un!

Go On, Buy the Damn Bike! You Know You Really Want Too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rolled up 113,000 myles Saturday, and that 1330 still purrs like new. And uses negligible oil.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Under normal driving conditions you can expect high 30's to low 40's on the mpg.

I have now had three 1330 engines and the results are similar on each one. I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol blend. Works fine for me since day one. 46K on the first (2014) 8K on the 2020 and 20K on the 2019.

Properly maintained (see owners manual), 100K plus is no issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dataWrangler View Post
    I am considering buying a 2016 RT Limited. I am just concerned with the amount of miles 42,000. How long can I expect an engine to last properly maintained?
    Most likely longer than you, or at least longer than you will want to keep it! That is if you ride only about the 5000 to 10,000 miles per year of a typical Spyder owner!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My two cents. Most engines today outlast the rest of the vehicle. The engines are very well built and if maintained properly, other parts of the bike will start to break down or become costly to keep up with but the engine will keep on going.

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2016 RT and love it! I have ridden it in 30 degree weather and stayed warm. Looking forward to joining the group. Dehn Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

I don't know that anyone who has taken reasonable care of a Spyder has ever worn one out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 14 RT ( basic model ) with the SE trans. .... This will be my last Spyder ....75,000 + miles, not many issues, and those were during the warranty period. I have done ALL maintenance from day one, and plan to continue. .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2016 RT and love it! I have ridden it in 30 degree weather and stayed warm. Looking forward to joining the group. Dehn Spyder.jpg

I have a 2018 and live in the Pacific Northwest. In the winter I'll ride as much as possible as soon as the snow and ice clear off the roads. Temps don't bother me too much, I just dress for it. I just broke 19,000 on my last fill up and she still runs smooth as silk.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Just for a data point.
    I traded in my old 2014 RT on a 2020 RTL and when I did, it had about 65k miles on it. Never any issues and it still ran like it did new. Now I've got about 20k on my 2020 and it runs great. (Like I expected it would.)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT with 77,000 miles

Getting ready for Spring. The 15 RT just turned 77,000 miles and put a new rear tire on the wifes 16 F3T with 82,500 miles. I have a couple of oil filter change kits from BajaRon and oil ready for changes when needed. Wash, rinse, Ryde and Repeat...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss