Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Fit is definitely important. Helmet sizing is weird because it changes across make and model. I don't think I would buy an unknown helmet w/o trying on that make/model 1st. I know that there are ways to measure and size according to the manufacturer. I feel better putting it on 1st though. Do you prefer DD or ratchet? I'm unfamiliar with the magnet type.
    I am very comfortable with the double D. It's not really a hassle, in my mind. I've worn some ratchet strap versions where the ratchet seemed too long and kind of dug into my neck after several hours. Maybe just a bad design or not enough padding. Sometimes I ride all day and strap comfort becomes important.

I've heard some good things about the magnet type. But have never had opportunity to try one.

Few people understand how a properly fit helmet should be. And, in my experience. If you offer them a properly fitting helmet, they won't wear it. That was me for a number of years. Until I got into the fire department and started seeing motorcycle accidents where the helmet came off the rider before any helmet impact at all. Sometimes they lucked out with no head contact. But many times they did not. They thought they had protection. But their helmet was too big. A bad time to find out.

It's easy to tell if your helmet fits or not. Simply put it on, reach over the top of your head with both hands and grab the lower edge of the back of your helmet and start to pull up. If you can pull it off or even come close. Your helmet is too big and it may well abandon you when you need it most. There are other indications like if you move your head back and forth quickly and the helmet moves on your head (you can feel it sliding on your skin). Too big. The helmet will move a little as it pulls your skin on your cheeks and forehead but not slide around.

If you get wind buffeting, or when you turn your head at speed, and your helmet shifts around on your head. Way too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Ron, just as an aside, the ratchet is effectively adjusted every time you put it on, too, as it has several stops. Sometimes you can not pull the DD as tight as normal depending on your mood/comfort on the day, and the same with the ratchet Pete
    That was a quote from a This vs That 'Expert'. Not sure that it necessarily applies. But he thought it did.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-29-2022 at 10:05 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just recently got a new Shoei with ratchets and I like it better than the DDs -- much easier to adjust and get closed with gloves on. Then I stopped where we would normally lock our helmets to our handlebars and I realized that I have no way to use my lidlox without doing something different -- cable through the front of the helmet? I have just carried my helmet into the restaurant with me until I get that figured out.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hmmm - quick clip

063617E7-407B-40B0-9637-5194B92F7A71.jpeg

E69A31EB-AB25-4A82-BB2E-B1CE49AAEB08.jpeg

It slips into the same loop as the D‘s & is just a little easier to operate. Keeps the original D’s if you ever wanna go back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 02:15 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I just recently got a new Shoei with ratchets and I like it better than the DDs -- much easier to adjust and get closed with gloves on. Then I stopped where we would normally lock our helmets to our handlebars and I realized that I have no way to use my lidlox without doing something different -- cable through the front of the helmet? I have just carried my helmet into the restaurant with me until I get that figured out.
    IIRC, you can get a 'T' piece from LidLox that slides thru the ratchet clip side designed to let you hang your helmet off the LidLox clip on the handlebars as normal; then when you take it off the bars, you simply slide the 'T' piece out of the ratchet clip & stick it somewhere safe (preferably not in a pocket, cos that'd risk sticking it into you if you fell off/over; so maybe the glovebox on an RT or similar?? ) I believe the 'T' pieces are available in both Short and Long sizes, and you might even be able to use a long 'T' for more than one helmet?!? Still, I'm sure LidLox will know more!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    IIRC, you can get a 'T' piece from LidLox that slides thru the ratchet clip side designed to let you hang your helmet off the LidLox clip on the handlebars as normal; then when you take it off the bars, you simply slide the 'T' piece out of the ratchet clip & stick it somewhere safe (preferably not in a pocket, cos that'd risk sticking it into you if you fell off/over; so maybe the glovebox on an RT or similar?? ) I believe the 'T' pieces are available in both Short and Long sizes, and you might even be able to use a long 'T' for more than one helmet?!? Still, I'm sure LidLox will know more!

Good Luck!
    Peter, unless they have discontinued the practice, LidLox come with that T piece. I always forget to remove the LidLox when I trade, and I have 4 of those T pieces in my collection. Mind you, I haven’t bought LidLox for 7 years as my helmet fits in the saddlebag on the Spyder.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display :-/
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peter, unless they have discontinued the practice, LidLox come with that T piece. I always forget to remove the LidLox when I trade, and I have 4 of those T pieces in my collection. Mind you, I haven’t bought LidLox for 7 years as my helmet fits in the saddlebag on the Spyder.

Pete
    I did feel that was the case Pete, but it's been so long since I last bought a LidLox I really wasn't sure! Thinking back, it's been even longer'n your 7 years! Golly, I must be getting old... Anyhow, thanks for confirming that those 'T' pieces are out there & not just something I dreamt up!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 06:01 PM. Reason: !
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a modular helmet with a double D. On this particular helmet I can leave the strap installed through the D-rings while placing or removing just by slacking off the strap. Not having to fumble around trying deal with it blindly has made my life with it more enjoyable. Can’t say for sure other brands or models that this is possible but I’m happy with this one.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Absolutely micro ratchet for me.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I've used the double D system for 40 years, but I will admit that the ratchet on my newer Nolan helmet is quicker to put on, and certainly quicker to take off even with gloves on. But I have had on occasion the feeling that i can't adjust it to the tightness that I want. As close as the ratchet points are, I have sometimes felt that at one setting it is too loose, and one click more made it too tight. That's never an issue with the double D's. Also, I KNOW that the double D's will keep my helmet on me in the event of a violent crash while I am not positive that the ratchet on the Nolan will actually work (and hope not to have to find out).
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Ratchet straps. Definitely.
    One caveat......don't get the cheap plastic ones. Get the metal Ratchets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A word of caution...... I liked the ratchet strap on my old Nolan but that helmet went past it's useful life. My new helmet has the DD system and this thread inspired me to convert to a ratchet. This ratchet I bought is well made. But it does not work for me on my helmet. After installation (according to instructions) it extended the DD side of the strap too long and could not be adjusted to effectively close. So I was left with a loose strap. Easily removed and went back to the DD system..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Good job. Safety 1st
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic