Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Double D Ring vs Ratchet Straps...What do you prefer?

Ok, I'm biased. I prefer the micro ratchet connector on my Shoei, but most helmets I've seen come with double d rings. My spare and the passenger helmet has the double d ring as well. Just curious what people prefer.
    I watched this video and thought it was interesting. He has a point. I like the ease of quick release.

https://youtu.be/3KUdmwmhyxM

What's your preference?
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm a big fan of the ratchet system. I have 4 helmets and rarely use the 2 Double D lids. I even bought my newest lid from Europe because the US version is D.D. and the Euro version is ratchet. Same lid, different strap.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Ratchet system for me.
    Another thing to consider is your passenger's. Again, the ratchet system as my younger granddaughters cannot fasten the double d's
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Ratchet system for me & the wife as well. D rings are very difficult for me due to a industrial accident involving my left hand. The wife just prefers it having had a helmet with D rings.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Ok, I'm biased. I prefer the micro ratchet connector on my Shoei, but most helmets I've seen come with double d rings. My spare and the passenger helmet has the double d ring as well. Just curious what people prefer.
    I watched this video and thought it was interesting. He has a point. I like the ease of quick release.

What's your preference?
    Ratchet straps. Definitely.
    One caveat......don't get the cheap plastic ones. Get the metal Ratchets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 11-27-2022 at 01:34 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Ratchet straps. Definitely.
    One caveat......don't get the cheap plastic ones. Get the metal Ratchets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have something that is similar to the Pic, however it's much easier to use. it's metal with a tongue (?) that slides into the hasp (?) . it's great for helmets that don't need size adjustments ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm a big fan of the ratchet system. I have 4 helmets and rarely use the 2 Double D lids. I even bought my newest lid from Europe because the US version is D.D. and the Euro version is ratchet. Same lid, different strap.
    Which helmet from Europe? I want another and I'm considering another Neotec 2 or a Schuberth C4 pro. I think maybe Scorpion has a ratchet system too.
    I was going to buy a carbon fiber helmet, but it had the rings on it. So, I passed on it
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been wearing Shark helmets for years. Ordered them from Europe and they came with ratchet straps long before US manufacturers were DOT approved for ratchet straps. I know few if any folks on this site do research but take a gander at European helmet testing standards as compared to US standards. Similar but the end game is where the testing differs. Fewer flawed EU products make it past their testing phase and on to the consumer than US products do. A little unsettling to know you could be wearing a defective helmet and never know it.

Spyder Garage

Have both types and prefer the ratchet system over the double D's................except............
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

What's your preference?

A very interesting video! Thanks for posting this one.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Been wearing Shark helmets for years. Ordered them from Europe and they came with ratchet straps long before US manufacturers were DOT approved for ratchet straps. I know few if any folks on this site do research but take a gander at European helmet testing standards as compared to US standards. Similar but the end game is where the testing differs. Fewer flawed EU products make it past their testing phase and on to the consumer than US products do. A little unsettling to know you could be wearing a defective helmet and never know it.
    I checked few European sites b/c DOT vs ECE vs SNELL. I just haven't bought any. A lot of the nice color combo helmets from Shoei and Schuberth seem standard with EU pricing vs what can be bought in the states. Helmet technology has changed a lot. Passing DOT certification seems a bit behind compared to other safety standards as well.
    I may have to look into Shark. Thanks!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Which helmet from Europe? I want another and I'm considering another Neotec 2 or a Schuberth C4 pro. I think maybe Scorpion has a ratchet system too.
    I was going to buy a carbon fiber helmet, but it had the rings on it. So, I passed on it
    HJC RHPA 90S Carbon. The US version has DD and costs >$600. I bought same model with ratchet from championhelmets.com for $429. The Euro model isn't DOT, its ECE certified. Other difference is the Medium has 40mm cheek pads in Euro, US uses 30mm pads. I bought a pair of 30s to replace the 40s for a perfect fit.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

DD man myself.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Sweet! Thanks RayBJ.

Spyder Garage

D rings for me as the HJC modular helmet can't take out enough slack to make the strap tight. ihad both ends just about tucked into the
    padding and could still put 4 fingers between the strap and neck/chin

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I are VERY happy with our new Schuberth C5 (DOT Approved) with the Ratchet Straps, takes some getting used to compared to the DD's but we're getting much quicker at getting helmed up and off when riding. I feel safe with the Ratchet Strap system they use, especially with the DOT approval rating.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that if you got hit with 329 lbs of force or 900 lbs that ripped your helmet off, you may not be around to tell about it anyway. Horrible thought but I'm just guessing.

Spyder Garage

50 plus years of DD, I guess I will stay that way.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I'm thinking that if you got hit with 329 lbs of force or 900 lbs that ripped your helmet off, you may not be around to tell about it anyway. Horrible thought but I'm just guessing.
    Yeah. Sounds like a lot of force/power. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of accident would cause your helmet to ripped off at the buckle or strap. I don't know enough about what the guy demonstrated in the video to say that having a particular helmet fastener on with an impact of the magnitude would even matter at that point. My best guess for helmets being torn off is not having them secured firmly, but that doesn't seem like a broken strap or fastener. I want to know more.
    I could be wrong, but I believe I saw another 1 of his videos where he gave the Neotec II high praises for the quality and safety due to the shell. I may have to go down the rabbit hole of helmet videos lol
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

DD is stronger and therefore considered safer. It also has to be adjusted every time the rider puts it on. This assumes a (potentially) more correct fit.

But with the great majority (according to studies) of people wearing a helmet too large for their head. In which case the helmet is likely to come off (regardless of chin strap type or adjustment) upon initial impact. Fit is probably a more important target than chin strap type.

After seeing this first hand a few times. I was convinced as to how incredibly important helmet fitment can be.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm solidly in the ratchet camp.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    DD is stronger and therefore considered safer. It also has to be adjusted every time the rider puts it on. This assumes a (potentially) more correct fit.

But with the great majority (according to studies) of people wearing a helmet too large for their head. In which case the helmet is likely to come off (regardless of chin strap type or adjustment) upon initial impact. Fit is probably a more important target than chin strap type.

After seeing this first hand a few times. I was convinced as to how incredibly important helmet fitment can be.
    Fit is definitely important. Helmet sizing is weird because it changes across make and model. I don't think I would buy an unknown helmet w/o trying on that make/model 1st. I know that there are ways to measure and size according to the manufacturer. I feel better putting it on 1st though. Do you prefer DD or ratchet? I'm unfamiliar with the magnet type.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ron, just as an aside, the ratchet is effectively adjusted every time you put it on, too, as it has several stops. Sometimes you can not pull the DD as tight as normal depending on your mood/comfort on the day, and the same with the ratchet

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Ron, just as an aside, the ratchet is effectively adjusted every time you put it on, too, as it has several stops. Sometimes you can not pull the DD as tight as normal depending on your mood/comfort on the day, and the same with the ratchet

Pete
    Reminds me of a gal with the Double D, she should have had the ratchet strap!.......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

i have a 2 pair of the ratching ones that i cannot use, i'll let ''em'' go for 20 plus shipping