Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spyder Garage

and a nice write up as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8 Legged Freak View Post
    Today, I got to take my RT-S home. What I found was that after getting over the initial nerves of getting back on the road with a Spyder again, been 2 years since I got to borrow one regularly, was an incredible machine.

The RT-S has plenty of power when asked to supply it. I found no issues with it having a power drop off, even at low rpms. The RT-S does like to operate at a higher rpm, 4000+, than what I have ridden before. It had no issue with going over 7000 rpm and being asked to shift. The SE5 allows for stop and go traffic without effort. My buddy who rode his Indian, was still complaining about the traffic, even after a cold soda-don't drink and drive- so he could allow traffic to lighten up for his ride home. I got to watch him shift, clutch, and put his feet down a lot in the bumper to bumper we ran into for the last 8 miles.

The shop set the front shocks at 3 per the standard the factory gives them. I found that at 3 the RT-S likes to wander and go with any imperfection in the road. I am going to have them bump it up to the 5 setting at the 300 mile service. That minor frustration aside, I found the RT-S ride to be smooth and truly enjoyable. The only issue I see is because I am 6'6" and need just a little more leg room. When one of the aftermarkets come up with a floorboard that lowers the position of your feet about 2 or 3 inches and repositions the brake lever also, I am set.

It was fun to watch the heads turn and people point at the RT-S, felt good to be the center of attention, in a good way for once.What I was not fully prepared for was the rubber necking and somewhat reckless driving to get next to me on the highway. People were pulling up in the lane next to me and giving the thumbs up, it was the ones who drive a little crazy to get next to me and then try and take a picture with their cellphones that made me nervous.

All in all, it was a great day for a ride and the RT-S did not disappoint.
    I am 6'2" 220 lbs and the front shocks are set at 4 and the rear psi under the seat is at 70 my front tires are at 16-17, haven't checked the rear tire yet Anyhow it is riding great for me. So far it has been mostly freeway and street traffic, if I go to the mountains I may bump up the front shocks to a "5" setting as others have recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In the short run, push the front tire air pressure up a bit. The factory recommended pressures are too low for good handling. I run 20 front & 30 rear in both Spyders. Most folks seem to settle on 18-20 front and 26-30 rear for best performance. Also, the front spring setting depends on your weight and cargo. Look at the table in the book before deciding on a final setting, and maybe go a notch higher for less "sway".

BTW, the first service interval is at 625 miles.
    My dealership said the same thing to bring it in as a courtesy at 300 miles and free check, I wonder if BRP is asking them to do this to cut down on any issues in the beginning, or if they think there might be an opportunity to sell us something else .

Mine has been running flawlessly the first 923 miles

Spyder Garage

Took a demo ride on Tuesday. Went in today to work on a deal. Deal went flat when he turned a 6 upside down. It was silver and had the semi auto trans. I'm betting I can do better with a 2011 and a manual trans (dark brown is a better color for me). Good thing is they actually offered a fairly good trade in price on my GL1800.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Steve, try and find a 2010 as the 2011's start to arrive. I got a killer deal on the last RTS my dealer had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    Steve, try and find a 2010 as the 2011's start to arrive. I got a killer deal on the last RTS my dealer had.
    Far as I can tell there's only one left in town (Houston) and they didn't give me the numbers I wanted to hear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Test ride last week

I took the wife on a test ride last week on an RT-S manual trans. Found the steering a little "touchy" and also seemed like I needed to rev it pretty good to get it to pull away from a stop. Liked the stability (especially in traffic!). Overall a good experience, I figure I need a LOT more experience on three wheels (after 40 years on 2). Anyway, I'm SERIOUSLY shopping....

Spyder Garage

My Rs started throwing the brake failure code. The dealer Added very little brake fluid when they done my dps recall. Seemed to work until I went to back out of the drive You should of herd me yelling brake failure , brake failure. NO BRAKES almost backed into the ditch crap!!! But' then back to normal. From day one I was having a check eng. light interm. roll across the screen and it would fall on its face. Tried every thing from tune up to changing exh. & adding all the goodies helped some but' still even went into limp mode the day I traded.LAST SAT. I test rode A NEW RT right off the bat I noticed the power was nothing like my RS & when I went to hit cruise The light came on but' NO cruise, went to play the stereo I was told it did not have but' all the buttons was there as was the info on screen NO STEREO!! Went to back it up when I returned it touched the horn on mistake and noticed hey?? NO HORN!! What on a NEW vehicle?? I ask about it and was told we will have to get it in the shop but' have have this new black one in the back getting the recalls and updates done now. Again WHAT on a new vehicle. I love the spyder and thing the motors are BAD AZZ. But' they have got to do something with the electrical on these things. No way was I trading for another problem maybe a few yrs down the road when they get the electrical figured out. I guess the just had a service bulletin sent out on GROUND problems with them. I went with the VT13CTA for now.
    Last edited by Eddie; 09-28-2010 at 01:27 PM.

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield