Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by medican View Post
    DISLIKES

The Comms, would like it to be PTT not VOX. Still thinking about a interface system so I can get what I need out of it.
    Cornering, front end seemed to fold over on me even at low speeds. Didn’t look at where the shocks were set but I think I will be stiffening them up a bit.
    These are little things to me.

All in all, a GREAT ride, I loved it.

I hope to have a in my garage by the spring.

Richard

There is a PTT switch on the left hand controls, where the mode button was on the original Spyders.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Eh... Only dealer in my area that has them is the one I didn't buy from. They know I won't be trading up so soon and they know I won't pay their prices... so I'll wait for my dealer to get one in and they'll let me try it.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

My dealer said they will call me as soon as they get one delivered to them so I can go take a look at it. I highly doubt I will buy one, as our current 2 are still brand new, but I would like to see it and test drive it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I got to ride the RTS yesterday at XXXXXX XXXX sales. I won't mention the name because I don't want to get them in trouble with their other customers who didn't know they had one. People are so sensitive about this! But they have the best mechanic in the valley so give them some slack.

The bike looks great. And big. It makes my present Spyder look like a toy in comparison. Beautiful color.

The seating position is very comfortable. After two trips across country on #610 I did not know how uncomfortable I was. (not really). But this is very nice. The Queen's seat is also very nice. I could never see riding two up on one of these things until now.

The windscreen does it for me. Finally someone has put a windshield on these things that actually does something. After spending $2K of my own money on this effort I am really appreciative.

Fly by wire is cool. It gives a sense of effortlessness to the riding experience.
    The manual shift is smooth-way smooth.
    Brakes seem identical.
    Power is what it is. I tried lugging it at 30mph in fourth gear and it did not complain.
    Steering seemed mushy but there was lots of stiffening left in the front shocks. The rear air ride is a good idea but I did not play with it much. Heated hand grips really work. On a California fall day without gloves they are too hot to handle. That should be nice on a cold day.

The storage is a bit overwhelming. I have traveled for weeks with my canvas Cortech bags so I am not sure what I would put in those things. I suppose I need a woman in my life to fix that problem.

Once again I am impressed with how 'right' BRP has gotten this thing. They hit it right on the head with the original Spyder and darn if they have not done it again. Amazing. If I were making Honda Goldwing's I would start working on catching up. Why anyone would go touring on anything but a Spyder is beyond me. But I know nothing about anything so there you go.
    Last edited by Recluze; 11-18-2009 at 11:24 AM.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Great reviews.

Spyder Garage

Default Finally got to test ride a RT-S

Got the chance to test ride a RT-S Saturday.... WOW !

I'm a cruiser rider (30+ years), but have been looking at stepping up to touring. I have checked out the HD Ultra and Goldwing....but then came across the RT. This was a very differant expieriance for me. The ride was awesome (although it did kinda felt like I was riding a four-wheeler on the road). The steering felt a bit mushy, not sure if that was how it's supposed to be or not...nothing to compare it to as I have never even seen a Spyder in person. The Brakes where firm, although it took me awhile to get used to right foot ONLY. Also, being first time ooff two wheels, I kept wanting to lean, which I guess can't hurt, but does absolutely no good. There was more than enough power.... even barked the rear tire (not on purpose ).

All-in-all I was very impressed, it was everything I expected and more.

....to answer your next question....Oh Yeah, I wrote the check.

Spyder Garage

I remember Deb at the bbq - she had to run out to get ice I think. I could see her coming back from the errand - she was rippin' it all the way from Lamont's driveway back up to the field! Yep, I can't see her on the RT - the GS fits her so much better - she is definitely a "sport bike" chick. OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa?

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Here is my "more detailed" review...

My Russell seat gives me a similar comfort level as the RT seat has. If anything, I'd like the rider back support on the RT to be back a little farther but it was definitely more than adequate based on the short test ride I did (10 - 15 minutes). Judging by the looks and initial feel, I'd guess it'd be great for hundreds of miles of continuous riding. Certainly capable of an Ironbutt ride as is. If I got an RT, I would eventually look into getting the rider seatback reshaped to get me back just a few more inches from the handlebars. I rode passenger when dltang took her turn at riding the RT and the passenger seating is about 10,000% better than the GS Spyder. The adjustable footboards are great and the leg position was awesome. The backrest really cradles you in and supports your upper body terrific. I believe I could ride passenger on this for hours (only if necessary ).

I've ridden with two different adjustable windshields on my Spyder and this one works okay, not as good as the Madstad I'm currently running with but it's so much easier to adjust and you can adjust it on the fly. That is only possible with the F1 slider windshields right now and they aren't as easy or safe as the RT adjustment. I'd say the RT adjustable windshield's protection is the same as an F1 slider but worse than a CHAD or Madstad system because it's adjustment is only moving up or down a few inches. The other two windshields can change the rake of the windshield to really tweak in the protection for each individual rider.

The power felt great to me. I'm not a hot rodder or a speed junkie and I thought this compared very well with my GS. Certainly capable of getting up to the 90 MPH range which is about the top end of my comfort level. I'm more of a "posted limit +5" type of rider (and I'm slowing down as I get older). Debbie might say that I'm starting to drive more and more like my father who is a "posted limit -5" driver.

I absolutely loved the rear bags and the new, deeper, front trunk. I've had soft saddle bags, Industries 7 Givi bags, rear seat bags and sissy bar bags for my Spyder at various times (I currently use Cortech soft saddlebags and a Nelson-Rigg sissy bar bag). I really like the extra carrying capacity for any Spyder on a road trip or even putzing around town and shopping. With my GS, I really liked the option to remove all those bags for a sporty look but the RT looks great with all it's permanent bags. For the type of riding I really like to do (long, touring rides) the RT would be perfect.

I love listening to music while riding so I was really glad to see and test out the audio system. As a rider, I thought it was great. Like Lamonster said, it almost seems like the music was right in your helmet. As a passenger, it wasn't as good as the windshield couldn't adjust up high enough to get my helmet out of all of the high speed windstream. I am 6'4" though so for a shorter passenger, maybe 5'10" max, I'm sure it would be fine. IMO, the solution for audio while riding two up would be to use helmet headsets so you could talk back and forth easily and definitely get the music right in your helmet. Tapping on the shoulder, pointing and yelling isn't the perfect comm. system for me.

The cruise was great and seemed to operate smoothly for the short test that I was able to give it. IMO, cruise a huge plus when doing long distance rides.

The one overall thing that I thought wasn't great was the way the controls for the audio, parking brake or the air suspension worked (maybe more things but those were the only things I messed with). It seemed like there wasn't real positive feedback when the buttons were pushed. Maybe it would just take getting used to how the systems worked but Debbie and I each pushed the parking brake button on and off a number of times when trying to set / reset the parking brake. Maybe we were too impatient or didn't know exactly what to look for to see if it was working. Same with the air suspension. Sometimes 1 button push would move the indicator up or down. Other times, it took multiple pushes for the indicator to change and I don't know if holding the button down made the setting index up or down multiple levels but it didn't seem like it. The radio controls seemed similar. A few times, pushing the volume up or down buttons didn't seem to make a change and seeking a new radio station (going from 102.5 to 88.9) was time consuming as it stopped at every station between where it was and what I wanted. Maybe there is a way to directly move to other stations but I didn't learn about that. Hopefully, station presets are an option and are easily navigated. I didn't get to test out the iPod option as I didn't want to be the first to open the "parts baggie" in the tailbag. Hopefully iPod music navigation is easy with the audio system. Like I said, hopefully it just takes getting used to how the systems operate.

All in all, I loved it. If the RT was an option when we were first buying Spyders, I would have bought it instead of the GS / RS. Debbie said she preferred the fun, sporty ride of her GS. To each his own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa?
    Funny you should say that. I just decided to try and fit a Busa motor in my Spyder when my motor goes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Funny you should say that. I just decided to try and fit a Busa motor in my Spyder when my motor goes.
    And did it fit?

Spyder Garage

And did it fit?
    My motor is still good. this is just a plan at this point but I'll make it fit.

Spyder Garage

My motor is still good. this is just a plan at this point but I'll make it fit.
    Wonder how it's gonna effect all the computerized doo dads in there?

Spyder Garage

Wonder how it's gonna effect all the computerized doo dads in there?
    Won't effect them at all because they will be gone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally got a test ride on RT Touring today. Wow, I was extremely impressed. Totally different than my '08 SM5. The RT is definitely a luxury ride. Clutching felt much easier, steering was easier (must be the increased leverage) and the fly-by-wire throttle felt very precise.

Found the front pegs to be a little confining and the heel of my boot was up on the passenger boards so to stay off of the brake. I have 25" windshield on the SM5 but still get bombarded by wind especially from the side. Before our scheduled ride we tagged along with an earlier demo group on our SM5 which was very helpful since we could compare the two riding experiences within 15 minutes of one another on the same course. Bumps disappeared on the RT and wind and noise on the RT were dramatically reduced.

Anyway, I think I'm sold and will look at placing an order for the RT.

Keith

Spyder Garage

I remember Deb at the bbq - she had to run out to get ice I think. I could see her coming back from the errand - she was rippin' it all the way from Lamont's driveway back up to the field! Yep, I can't see her on the RT - the GS fits her so much better - she is definitely a "sport bike" chick. OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa?

Spyder Garage

We demo'd the Rt - Selling Ford Mustang Gt tomorrow - WE WANT ONE -
    baby says can't have truck, car & motorcycleX2. Somethings got to give so Bye Bye Mustang, Hello RT, is it March yet - where is it?????
    2013 RT Yellow
    2013 RST Yellow
    2011 RSS Metallic Orange / Flat Black
    2010 Limited Edition # 11 Black
    2008 RS SilverMoon
    2014 Black Current Rt Limited

[SIGPIC]SIGPIC] Happy Owners

Spyder Garage

Default said no

Went by the dealer to have service on my spyder. As soon as i walked in they said you need to test ryde the RT. So i went and sat and ooooooooo the feel and all the doo dads i had to say no because if I rode it i new i would have to have it so for now all i can do is drool.
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Demo Ride

Took the demo ride Fri. afternoon. loved it but will be keeping my 2009 SE5, The dealer said the best he could give me for my bike with 500 miles on it was $12,000. I gave $21,000 out the door less than a year ago......

Wish I had waited..........

Spyder Garage

I definitely want to watch the progress of this project once you start it!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Kim, I don't know what you are talking about, I am an old lady....LOL Did you see the look on my husband's smiley when you suggested me on a Huyabusa. I sure would have fun trying, that is for sure.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Kim, I don't know what you are talking about, I am an old lady....LOL Did you see the look on my husband's smiley when you suggested me on a Huyabusa. I sure would have fun trying, that is for sure.

You worry me enough with the Rotax.

Spyder Garage

You wouldn't have to try very long - you'd be off and running I can see it now!

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool I'm just not right

Could of been the first to take are Dealers for a Demo ride other than the owner and one mechanic there and turned it down had a sister inlaw close behind and didn't want to hold her up then today was ready new coolant bottle 2nd set of brake caps and another brake bleed and turned down another chance to take it out but I wanted to beat the rain that was approaching fast well I still got wet

Spyder Garage

Default rode the RT today

It was a little bit chilly this morning when my wife and I took off for our demo ride on the RT. We live about 65 miles from our dealer so it is a bit of a ride. We ride through the river delta to get to the dealer and we hit a little fog around bridges but once we got through the delta the skies cleared up and the tempurature actually rose to around 48 degrees. When we finally got to Marina Boat Sales in Lodi, CA we were able to see the BRP team getting set up and talking with the guys at the dealership. I was pleased to meet TharkunRT at the dealership today. He has purchased an Orbital Blue RT from the guys and was there to lend a hand. It was a pleasure to meet you Dennis.

I really enjoyed the RT. We were able to demo the SE5 and I noticed shifting the SE was nice and smooth and you can barely feel the downshift when the RT does it itself. My wife really liked the comfort of the passenger seat and backrest. She also said the passenger floorboards are a vast improvement over the passenger pegs on the GS/RS. She liked being able to see the RT display. She says she has to work at it to see the display on the GS/RS when we are riding and even then it is hard to read. She said she was able to look over the whole display as we took our test ride. My wife tried out the heated passenger grips and says they are a must. We didn't bother to run the radio but the couple behind us had it on when they started their Spyder. I wanted the chance to talk while we rode so we went without the tunes.

The RT doesn't have the raw power the GS/RS has but it gets up to speed quite nicely. I'm going to need to keep the GS/RS so that I can still have the thrill ride but the comforts of the RT and the more relaxed riding position make this, IMHO, a very capable touring machine. We were on some small backroads and it was a very comfortable ride. We had a couple spots where we were able to open up the RT a little and it responded quite well. I was a little surprised when the nanny kicked in on a couple of the last turns of the ride. Maybe tightening up the suspension up front would help that.

All I can say is that I really enjoyed the ride and there will be company for the GS/RS in the garage before too long. I think BRP actually listened to what was being said on these forums and did a fantastic job of coming up with a touring machine. I can't wait to pack one up (with trailer) and hit the road.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

We are driving up friday morning, for a test ryde.
    I will post my experience then.

Too cold for a bike ryde. Temps are dropping
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    ... All I can say is that I really enjoyed the ride and there will be company for the GS/RS in the garage before too long. I think BRP actually listened to what was being said on these forums and did a fantastic job of coming up with a touring machine. I can't wait to pack one up (with trailer) and hit the road.