Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Demo

Demo'd the RT S in St Augustine today. They even left me take the wife along. They only had the manual shift available and I still want to ride a semi-auto. My boot toe really rubbed the cowling in front of the shifter. Noticed all 5 of the demo's had a lot of scratches in that area.

I can't say that I'm sold yet. I have a 99 Valk and we rode 120 miles to get to the demo. The demo unit vibrated too much for me, especially when giving it some throttle. Wife complained of a lot of vibration coming up through her foot pegs even while cruising a 50 mph. Will also need to add arm rests if we decide to go with the RT S.

I demo'd a RS in Daytona a few weeks ago and although I didn't like the sport bike seating I liked the power and did not notice the vibration. I don't think the RT S will match the Valk in power but since I've passed the 70 mark I probably should slow down a bit.

Enjoyed my 120 mile ride back home on the Valk more than the demo but I intend to give the Spyder RT S a couple more chances. The wife is pushing me for a trike and I've got to keep momma happy.

Spyder Garage

Default Discouraging

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Demo'd the RT S in St Augustine today. They even left me take the wife along. They only had the manual shift available and I still want to ride a semi-auto. My boot toe really rubbed the cowling in front of the shifter. Noticed all 5 of the demo's had a lot of scratches in that area.

I can't say that I'm sold yet. I have a 99 Valk and we rode 120 miles to get to the demo. The demo unit vibrated too much for me, especially when giving it some throttle. Wife complained of a lot of vibration coming up through her foot pegs even while cruising a 50 mph. Will also need to add arm rests if we decide to go with the RT S.

I demo'd a RS in Daytona a few weeks ago and although I didn't like the sport bike seating I liked the power and did not notice the vibration. I don't think the RT S will match the Valk in power but since I've passed the 70 mark I probably should slow down a bit.

Enjoyed my 120 mile ride back home on the Valk more than the demo but I intend to give the Spyder RT S a couple more chances. The wife is pushing me for a trike and I've got to keep momma happy.

Well, that's a little discouraging. I'll report back after my Saturday demo. I want a trike too, because of my wife having a leg problem. I was hoping this would be it. We'll see.

Spyder Garage

If you were getting a lot of vibration you might have been lugging it. It doesn't have the same low end torque as the Valk.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    If you were getting a lot of vibration you might have been lugging it. It doesn't have the same low end torque as the Valk.

Thought about that and that's another reason I want to demo the semi auto.

The vibration seemed excessive even while running at 50 mph but not accelerating. Need to try another one. Maybe I got a bad one. It sure didn't accelerate like the one I rode at Daytona but we were two up this time.

I don't give up the first couple times around. I'll try again.

Spyder Garage

Demo ride in DC. Order mine that day. RT-S Blue. Waiting for March 2010.

Spyder Garage

Thought about that and that's another reason I want to demo the semi auto.

The vibration seemed excessive even while running at 50 mph but not accelerating. Need to try another one. Maybe I got a bad one. It sure didn't accelerate like the one I rode at Daytona but we were two up this time.

I don't give up the first couple times around. I'll try again.
    Just curious as to what gear you were running in at 50 mph? If you were already in 5th then that might have been causing some of the vibration issues. With the current models 55 mph in 5th gear is turning 4400 rpm and that is almost too low for these engines.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc454 View Post
    I have heard several of you talk about talking to the dealer(s) about getting a deal. I talked to a few in California and the only thing they would do was quote the list prices. Anyone (without specifics of the dollars) get any kind of deal thus far?
    At this stage, area dealers are willing to come off the BRP list price $1,000 to $1,500 dollars on the RT-S, which is what I'm interested in.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know the rig has been out and a few have been able to demo the RT. So what do you think? Likes and dislikes?
    i tested it today... as good as expected!... very comfortable, less noise than the sm5 i have, and enough power with two up...
    my wife loved it, so i put down the required deposit...
    se5, rt-s, black, no trailer (so no free jacket)... estimated delivery: february...
    CD.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Too bad it doesn't snow in Florida, as that would make your wait go by much faster.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Test rode one today. It wasnt really a demo model, but they let me run it up and down the road a little. nice and smooth feeling. The throttle was a little twitchy compared to my 09, but I could really get used to one of these.

Spyder Garage

Okay, had the chance to test ride the RT at South Texas Suzuki today. Good timing, as I was picking up the Army Spyder after the 6000 mile service. Bottom Line Up Front: Great Vehicle!

Now, with that said, here are a few more details. The RT (no trailer) was better looking in person than it was in photos. Don't know why that was, but it was very sharp.
    The seat is butter soft, and you sit deeper in the seat. The contouring does reduce the options, as you're pretty much locked in to the designed position.
    The display was clean, and the button placements were close enough to the earlier models to be comfortable. Couldn't test the stereo, although the one I rode appeared to have XM radio installed.
    I'm in Texas, but couldn't resist testing the heated hand grips. They worked fine, and there was a noticeable difference between the high and low settings. Didn't get to try the rear hand grip heaters.
    It's a much quieter ride, although I suspect that much of this is due to it being the first time that I've ridden behind a big windscreen. Even at my height, riding with the visor open on my full face helmet was effortless. I like the idea of the adjustable screen, but it really made me want to try the Robo-Bracket, as the RT screen is still bigger than I'd want to have on my daily ride.
    The tech indicated that the RT is governed at 100 mph, and said that the hitch is not compatible with any model of the RS, as they aren't specially designed to tow anything. I guess that's it for now, although I'm open to questions.
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

Default RT-S test ride

Had the opportunity to test ride the RT-S today at Jacksonville Beach FL. First time I had even sat on a Spyder. Good accelleration, very comfortable seat, lot of neat accessories and all in all a nice controlled ride. It was a group ride. Would have liked to have been able to open it up a little. I also realize I'll need a couple hours to get used to corners, the turning radius and my weight distribution when turning. Not going to be a problem. My hope is that someone will come up with a floor board and peg extensions that allow a little longer leg extension at shift peg and brake pedal. My 34" inseam makes it feel like my knees are right up against my elbows. Still happy with my first hands on considering I'd already applied my deposit on the RT-S SM5 in Timeless Black. I didn't jump the gun did I?

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Brevet05, I have ordered a RT (A&C) model and am 6'5" tall. Just wondering how tall you are and wanting to see what the leg position was like and if the windshield will work the same for me. I'd really like to look forward to ridding without a face shield on my helmet. I'm assuming the leg position my not be to my liking with my 36" inseam but I figure the aftermarket will remedy that problem after they have been out a while.

Spyder Garage

Default Our demo ride RS AND RT San Antonio (Lytle) Texas

My wide and I rode both the RS's today and I also test drove the RT. Each ride was about 25 minutes and 18 miles averaging 55 to 60 mph. The Rs's were a lot of fun. After getting comfortable with them they were great and handled extremely well.

The RT is a dream. Handles soooooo well and is a real cush ride. Problem is we loved them both. Since we both like to drive we opted for two of the sport models with risers for the handle bars, bigger windshields, corbin seats, friction lock cruise, forward pegs and saddle bags.

Based on my limited experience I feel that if you want the utmost in comfort and handling then go for the RT. With a few upgrades the RS is a workable balance of performance and comfort.

Our intention was the RT when we arrived for the test. When we finally realized that we would both be bored and lousy passengers we had to change our minds. If we could afford 2 RT's we'd probably go that route.

The BRP demo team and the host dealership (South Texas Suzuki) did a fantastic job of coordinating this event. BRP was dedicated to providing great consumer information and handled themselves in a very entertaining AND professional manner. Safety and proper operations of the bikes was well explained and demonstrated before the test drives. Here is a video link of my wife and her friend testing the bikes prior to the main ride.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I test drove the RT on Saturday in South Texas. I thought the RT was better than the hype. (Probably to the dismay of my wife). The windscreen is the best. We have a rash of snout butterflies in South Texas as the result of our drought and they will cover you in a short period of time once it warms up. I'm very interested in the RT but will probably wait a year before buying. I have an 09 SE5 that I want to play with some more. My wife did go with me on the demo ride and she really liked the rear seat. I have a Corbin seat w/backrests but she liked the RT's seat a lot better. Also the floorboards were a big favorite for her too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    The tech indicated that the RT is governed at 100 mph, and said that the hitch is not compatible with any model of the RS, as they aren't specially designed to tow anything. I guess that's it for now, although I'm open to questions.
    Sorry but the tech is wrong on both accounts. The RT will do over 100 but I won't say how I know and the hitch will bolt up to a RS as they use the same swingarm. I guess you can say they were not designed to tow anything but they tow just fine, designed to or not.

Spyder Garage

I also got to test ride the RT-S and an SE version of the RS at South Texas Suzuki this weekend. They did a really nice job and took us on a well organized and long test ride. Very knowledable techs too.

In a nut shell, the RT is more "Cadillac-Like" and is very smooth. It doesn't accelerate like my RS but that is ok. Like everyone is saying, the RT is for touring.

Big Plus is the quiet and the gadgets. With the windscreen at the lowest position, it was less turbulent than my tall Cal-Sci. With the windscreen at it's highest, it was downright silent. There were also some side wind deflectors that can't be removed without surgery which could make summer rides in Texas hotter, but I do like the quite. I think it would allow you to ride further with less fatigue.

I wasn't able to use the radio or XM while on the test ride but the tech turned it on in the parking lot and the built in speakers sounded great. It also has an iPhone integration cable in the rear compartment so you could listen to your MP3s or Pandora while riding and control it through the handlebars. I was able to play with the ride adjustment while on the test ride and I definately noticed a difference when on the softest setting, again, very Cadillac-like and comfy.

It is essentially the same engine so you know it has the ponies but the gearing is taller. I felt like I was lugging it at 55 in 4th gear. They really didn't want you to wind it out on a test ride. They also didn't let you use the cruise but I assume it would be another way to relax on a long ride.

On the minuses, I noted the front trunk is a lot smaller than the existing model. You could barely get a helmet and jacket in it. the left side trunk has a molded section and I couldn't get my modular HJC helmet in it. The right side was different and could carry my helmet. These demo models had nice inserts for most (if not all of the compartments) that allowed you to store stuff in the compartment then pick it up and take it into the hotel with you. The front even had a roll away suitcase. Nice touch. The tank top compartment looks great for sunglasses, cell phone, wallet, etc. It would be nice if it locked.

The trailer was really nice to look at although the tech didn't have the bike with the hitch any more so no ride with the trailer. Since the storage is not as volumunious as I'd hoped, the trailer is a real necessity. I wouldn't buy one without a thorough test ride of the trailer. Also while it looks pretty sturdy, I'm pretty sure a determined twelve year old with a screwdriver could break into it so I would worry about leaving anything in it while you slept in a motel.

While the central dash was nicely done in color with lots of multifunction displays, the analog gas and temp guages seemed somewhat out dated. Let's face it. This is a rocket ship and should have lots of buttons and lots of eye candy.

All in all, it is a very impressive move by the Product Management Group at BRP. My guess is they read the market by studying the touring mods a lot of folks had put on their RS models and made a really good factory version. Well done! It certainly has a lot of what I think I'm looking for, i.e. a version that can go to Canada with ease. Unfortunately, I own my current version outright and paid MSRP for it and then dropped a couple more thousand into it. Judging by recent sales, I would take a HUGE depreciation hit and then have to scrape up more cash or finance it this time. I'm going to watch this board for info about dealers coming off of MSRP and maybe BRP having some incentive financing. That may push me over the top.

Still very interested and watching. Don't want to take a huge bath with depreciation.
    Last edited by TonyMac; 11-08-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

As far as i know the gearing is the same on the RT. The powerband has been moved down about 1000 rpms.

The little glove box does lock with the handlebar lock. It won't be locked while riding though.

The trunk is not as wide but it is deeper, you can get two full face helmets in the trunk and you can't on our RS.

Spyder Garage

Sorry but the tech is wrong on both accounts. The RT will do over 100 but I won't say how I know and the hitch will bolt up to a RS as they use the same swingarm. I guess you can say they were not designed to tow anything but they tow just fine, designed to or not.
    Lamont,
    I got the strong impression that the tech was following the lawyers'/marketing line on the trailer, but I appreciate the input. I pointed out to the tech that there not only were already folks towing safely with the existing Spyders, but that there was one sitting right there in the parking lot. He acknowledged that, but said that the reason they didn't intend for the hitch to retrofit is because the RT has specialized computer control mapping for towing that changes the ABS and VSS distribution. As I told him, I didn't care about any of that, as I wanted a hitch, not to tow, but to give me a mounting point for a bike rack. He still insisted it wouldn't fit, but I hope you're right.
    The same tech that claimed the governing at 100 for the RT said that the RS was governed at 110. I guess that didn't apply to the 2008 models, as I've talked with several folks who've eclipsed that mark. I can't confirm that personally, but I wouldn't deny it, either.
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

As far as i know the gearing is the same on the RT. The powerband has been moved down about 1000 rpms.

The little glove box does lock with the handlebar lock. It won't be locked while riding though.

The trunk is not as wide but it is deeper, you can get two full face helmets in the trunk and you can't on our RS.

YouTube- Spyder RT storage

I had forgotten about your video which was great by the way. We only had a few minutes and my unscientific method of shoving my modular helmet in each compartment didn't account for stacking in the front trunk. Besides, you could put one in one compartment and one in another.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    Brevet05, I have ordered a RT (A&C) model and am 6'5" tall. Just wondering how tall you are and wanting to see what the leg position was like and if the windshield will work the same for me. I'd really like to look forward to riding without a face shield on my helmet. I'm assuming the leg position my not be to my liking with my 36" inseam but I figure the aftermarket will remedy that problem after they have been out a while.
    Frank,

I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam, so I suspect that the windscreen will be a revelation for you. Absolutely free of wind noise at the highest position. The test ride was too short to tell about long term comfort, but the leg position is very similar to my position on my SM5, and I've done 450 miles followed by a 350 mile day without too much discomfort. I don't know about aftermarket solutions, though, as the body shape appears to limit highway peg options. In any case, I think you'll love it. Have fun!

Spyder Garage

That video is worth a million words Lamont. Thanks for posting that!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Hello to the group that was at the San Antonio event at South Texas Suzuki!!! It was great to see everyone and all the owners that came out! The store demo RTS should be at the store next week. For anyone that missed the event Saturday come on out and play with mine anytime!! I am very excited to get it and ride!! And for those of you that are NEW SPYDER OWNERS from the Event welcome to the Family. VWATSON and I will be getting together soon so that we can try to do an San Antonio Spyder Meetup!!! If anyone has any questions on Pricing or specials we are running on the RTS please let me know!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[quote=Brevet05;158034]The same tech that claimed the governing at 100 for the RT said that the RS was governed at 110.[quote]
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!