Spyder Garage

Default Any TPMS recommendatons that include a monitor?

I'm looking at the Fobo 2 tpms. It requires the use of a cell phone to monitor. I don't want to mount the phone on the handlebars. Seems like I'd have to stop, bring out the phone, start the app to see. The warning would only work if you had the app running all the time.

Garmin TPMS doesn't support Garmin XT. Too bad.

Anyway, suggestions for something that includes a monitor???

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2022 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

There are a bunch available through Amazon (isn't everything?) but I don't recall one that monitors three tires. The alternative is to opt for a four-tire version, with dash-mounted monitor, and simply not make use of the fourth sensor. Be sure to note the tire pressure range of the ones you might be interested in. I tried one (without checking first) only to find it would not recognize the BRP recommended front tire pressure - too low, and front pressure when using car tires is even lower.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I have seen some on Amazon. I'm also seeing that they all recommend having metal valve stems. Looks like my 2022 RTL has rubber stems. Big job (read expensive and I can't to the work) to have a dealer replace the stems. Ugh!!!

Spyder Garage

Look at the FOBO for trike system. Functions great and it does not need metal valve stems. Here is a link to it on Lamonster's website. https://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo...f-3-lamonster/
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Here's what I copied from the FOBO manual.

RUBBER VALVE: FOBO strongly recommends use of sensors with only metal
    valves as many as user finds that it is difficult to determine the fitness conditions of
    rubber valves. Use of sensors with rubber valves can cause a leak of tire blowout
    which it turns leads to sudden loss of control of the vehicles that subsequently leads
    to an accident and serious injuries.

Spyder Garage

Why would a TPMS be a concern on a motorcycle? To me it seems as useful as a lamp outage module. Shouldn’t we all be doing a walk around inspection before hitting the road? If I was worried about getting a flat tire on the road I think having something to repair the puncture and reinflate the tire would be more useful.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    ...Shouldn’t we all be doing a walk around inspection before hitting the road?...
    Absolutely! Like checking for water in the pool before you launch yourself into the air.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    Here's what I copied from the FOBO manual.

RUBBER VALVE: FOBO strongly recommends use of sensors with only metal
    valves as many as user finds that it is difficult to determine the fitness conditions of
    rubber valves. Use of sensors with rubber valves can cause a leak of tire blowout
    which it turns leads to sudden loss of control of the vehicles that subsequently leads
    to an accident and serious injuries.
    Happened on my Buddy's Ultra Classic... I put metal stems on my Road Glide He said he didn't need them... We were doing 80ish on I-95 and his tire went started loosing air. Rubber stem failed because of FOBO 3 Hrs later he had metal stems put on and we never had any problems....
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Just to dispel a couple of “theories” that have been posted here, from riders who have not had real world FOBO experience.

Firstly…..CaptCharles…..If you plug your phone in to keep it charged on the Spyder, as most riders do, FOBO just plugs away quietly in the background, constantly checking tyre pressure and sounding an audible alarm either on your phone or through your headset if it detects a drop of say 5psi in a tyre. It saved me once where I picked up a screw in the rear tyre. It told me early that I had lost some pressure, and I had enough time to get to a gas station where they had a lift so I could easily plug the rear tyre with the repair kit I always carry. There is no need to look at your phone.

……..and just by way of info, I have been using rubber stems on my Spyders with FOBO for 6 years with zero issues. They are only very short rubber stems on the Spyder and so are unlikely to cause vibration issues…….the Ultra Classic may have longer stems which caused that particular issue, which is why FOBO suggest metal as a generality. I am also unaware of anyone reporting issues simply because they are running rubber stems on their Spyder.

Secondly….Woodenfish……you can instantaneously check your precise tyre pressures without any need to take out a pressure gauge and check each tyre before you leave home, greatly reducing walk around check time, plus FOBO will warn you if there is say a 5psi loss in a tyre, meaning you may have time to get to a safe place, like a gas station or tyre shop. Without it, you will not know you have an issue until it is way too late. So it is infinitely more useful than a lamp outage module

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-25-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Peter, thank you for considering my comments and I welcome any and all replies to my comments and cede your point. IMO, Motorcycles aren’t subject to constant temperature rises and drops below freezing that could change pressures during seasonal changes. Tire pressure loss just isn’t that common and pressure testing doesn’t need continual observation on a Spyder during a typical 3 season riding year. In a car or truck that has a much higher air pressure requirements, greater mileage range and higher weight carrying capacity conditions that may differ and a low tire pressure could create a dangerous handling situation or general loss of economy.

Tire pressure drops are almost non existent on the road on any vehicle for no reason. A flat tire or a slow leak on an automotive tire mounted on a Spyder or two wheel motorcycle is a rarity. Checking the tire pressure on a Spyder is not difficult and if you do it a couple times a year most likely you’ll be just fine. Rolling your Spyder over on the road because a tire ran low on air isn’t a likely concern and constant monitoring is a waste of time, space and money and could even be an unnecessary distraction.

All riders should be in tune with their motorcycle with a basic pre-ride visual inspection of lighting, braking, suspension, tires, fluid leaks, oil levels and body panels before their ride. There is a lot of accessories on the market for all sorts of vehicles that are designed to lighten your wallet for being lazy or unknowing. A TPMS on a motorcycle is one of them and it’s use could actually allow pressure loss when none existed prior to installing it. It’s your money, your time, your life so you can do whatever you want with it. I just don’t see the value for them or would they be my recommendation.
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Non FoBo or even Spyder for that matter, just TPMS: had buds wife’s car continued warning low pressure LOW PRESSURE! , course he does husbands duty’s & all tires good, solid 40PSI? head scratcher, checked few other things-battery voltage & whatnot. Talked her into ignoring lil while, few days later (maybe warning turned red & her too¿) check again with not wife over shoulder confirmation & some time during the process :gaah SPARE tire! Yup bingo believe car was a Lexus. Now back to spyder; believe new dash -18 up can (supposedly supports Fobo 2) unfortunately depending on BRP connect.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...12845-New-dash

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I've been using one of the car 4 tire systems now for several years. Works great, just use 3 out of the 4 sensors. The display actually has a solar charger on it and will charge in direct sunlight, but usually runs for a couple of months and then needs to be charged via USB. I have it velcroed to the dash. Cheap, around 50 bucks give or take.

image_2022-11-25_230326716.jpg
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Non FoBo or even Spyder for that matter, just TPMS: had buds wife’s car continued warning low pressure LOW PRESSURE! , course he does husbands duty’s & all tires good, solid 40PSI? head scratcher, checked few other things-battery voltage & whatnot. Talked her into ignoring lil while, few days later (maybe warning turned red & her too¿) check again with not wife over shoulder confirmation & some time during the process :gaah SPARE tire! Yup bingo believe car was a Lexus. Now back to spyder; believe new dash -18 up can (supposedly supports Fobo 2) unfortunately depending on BRP connect.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...12845-New-dash
    Wow…..I NEVER would have thought of the spare, Bfromia. :

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Woodenfish, as an ex basketball and rugby player with no workable knees, I have to disagree that checking the tyre pressure on a Spyder (especially one with saddlebags) before each ride is not difficult. It is difficult for me, and quite a few others from what I have seen posted. That alone is a viable reason for purchasing the product, and it certainly provides value for money to me.
    I do understand your point that if you are able bodied, checking tyres is relatively easy, and as you appear to be in that category, I can understand why you see no value in TPMS. Many on here have moved past that fully able bodied category however

Also, the assumption that there is some kind of constant need to visually check pressures while riding thus creating a possible distraction, is incorrect. FOBO just sits quietly in the background and only notifies you if there is a potential issue.

I also can’t agree that it is only necessary to check tyre pressures twice a year, with the need to ensure tyre pressures (especially Kenda) remain as close as possible to pressure guidelines to ensure best wear and safety.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete, do you have a TPMS on your Spyder? If keeping your tire pressure set to the exacting specifications at all times is so vital how do you access the tire valves to add air with your physical limitations and at what point of loss do you address the problem? How often is this needed in your usage? It seems to me a TPMS on a motorcycle as an accessory would make the operator either more aware of pressure loss or just as aware as me who checks and sets the tire pressure regularly. As I stated earlier and will expand now is that tire pressure loss is normal with time and your not going to stop it.

I manually check my tire pressure about 3x per year. Having more information about the tire pressure seems redundant. These are toys and need care and maintenance and the realization that you’re not carrying a spare and a jack to do a roadside repair. With or without a TPMS you still need to inflate your tires on a regular basis. If tire pressure loss is a regularly occurrence you might want to have that checked out for a problem or use a nitrogen fill. General observation of the operating systems as I described earlier before your ride is still the most important and has no better value for the price. At this point this horse is on life support.
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Ahhhhh. I see where you are coming from, Woodenfish…..bit slow here .
    I like to check the tyres before any longer distance ride, say minimum 3 hours, and that occurs weekly for me, just in case I have picked up a small screw or similar on the previous ride that might impact me a fair way from home. FOBO makes this so easy, that I do a quick check now before EACH ride……..and yes, I only find it necessary to refill the tyres once every couple of months normally, for which my knees are eternally grateful

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-26-2022 at 04:19 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    It seems to me a TPMS on a motorcycle as an accessory would make the operator either more aware of pressure loss or just as aware as me who checks and sets the tire pressure regularly. As I stated earlier and will expand now is that tire pressure loss is normal with time and your not going to stop it.

I manually check my tire pressure about 3x per year. Having more information about the tire pressure seems redundant. .
    Woodenfish, which is it? You check your air pressure regularly or you check it 3 times a year? You must not ride much.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

In my experience 45 years of riding motorcycles and now the Spyder, checking tire pressures is the most overlooked pre-ride inspection thing out there. As my wife and I toured over the years I would assist many others in checking their tire pressures and found most times they were not correct, mostly underinflated, some well overinflated. On one trip to a rally, I was up early in the motel we were staying at doing my pre-ride check in the parking lot. There were about 20 other motorcycle riders staying at the same hotel. As I was checking my tire pressures another rider stated I should do that as he stated he had not checked his tire pressures in some time. This turned out to checking most of the other bikes in the parking lot and 90% of them had underinflated tires by at least 5 lbs. or more.

At a Spyder rally this summer similar situation as I volunteered to check tire pressures on a group of people going for a local ride, all 14 of them were underinflated, some running 12lbs in the rear tires and just as bad in the front tires.

Almost all bike manufactures are providing a TPMS on many of their bikes as a standard accessory, these days, I feel I can see the reason for this. I miss mine as BMW has had them on their bikes for years.

Just my 2 cents.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Woodenfish, which is it? You check your air pressure regularly or you check it 3 times a year? You must not ride much.
    I measure and fill it 3x per year, consider that checking regularly and have yet to find it lower than 2-3 psi ever. How many times must I check it to be considered a regular rider? By the way, I have no other vehicle than my Spyder available to me. My wife and I have 2 Spyders and one car that she takes to work. As long as it’s not raining buckets or snowing I’m out on the road on my Spyder. I’m a retired dealership Master Technician that worked on American and European imports plus a few Japanese products. I think I know what I’m doing , it’s not like rocket science.
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Baseus Cordless Inflator