Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Active Member DriftersWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Uniontown, Pa
    Posts
    496
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Smile What's the best tire size for the front of an F3-L?

    I have a 2022 F3-L. I am an aggressive rider. I am about ordered a Gereral Altimax 215/60 r15 for the rear.
    I am looking for a good tire for the front. Would a directional tire be best for the front?
    And remember I am an aggressive rider.
    Thanks
    Last edited by DriftersWay; 11-25-2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: differant infor needed
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

  2. #2
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    18,573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    I have a 2022 F3-L. I am an aggressive rider. I am about ordered a Gereral Altimax 215/60 r15 for the rear.
    I am looking for a good tire for the front. Would a directional tire be best for the front?
    And remember I am an aggressive rider.
    Thanks
    Vredestein Quatrac is at the top of the ratings pile .... Folks have said the 175/55-15 fits and is excellent in all aspects .... Personally I bought the 165/60-15 because it was $ 5.00 less .... Any Extra traction you Might get from the wider size is CANCELLED by the VSS computer settings ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-25-2022 at 12:34 PM.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member oldguyinTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,157
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Vredestein Quatrac is at the top of the ratings pile .... Folks have said the 175/55-15 fits and is excellent in all aspects .... Mike
    I'm getting those same tires installed on December first, along with a BajaRon swaybar, AAAnnnnd - THE FRONT SPROCKET!!!!
    "Champagne Dream"
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 w/Rivco Dual Flag Holders, Rivco Highway Pegs, Show Chrome Black Touring Rack & risers, RAM X Mount For TXTAG, TackForm Phone Mount, Magic Mirror Mounts, Guardian Bells, WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn, Dual USB Power Outlet, Spyderpops Full View Turn Signals, Large Brake Pedal
    2017 RT-S , Stock Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

  4. #4
    Active Member DriftersWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Uniontown, Pa
    Posts
    496
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Thanks Mike. On order now
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

  5. #5
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    18,573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Thanks Mike. On order now
    I forgot to mention ....directional tire ???? ... the difference between all the possible types of tread in this regard is so small it's really meaningless......Plus I'm also aggressive in the Twistie's and I love my Quatrac 5's. .....Mike

  6. #6
    Very Active Member oldguyinTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,157
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    I just checked the Vredestein Quatrac SL tires (175/55-15) that I am having installed, and they are directional. Not that it makes any difference, just for informational purposes.
    "Champagne Dream"
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 w/Rivco Dual Flag Holders, Rivco Highway Pegs, Show Chrome Black Touring Rack & risers, RAM X Mount For TXTAG, TackForm Phone Mount, Magic Mirror Mounts, Guardian Bells, WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn, Dual USB Power Outlet, Spyderpops Full View Turn Signals, Large Brake Pedal
    2017 RT-S , Stock Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

  7. #7
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    18,573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    I just checked the Vredestein Quatrac SL tires (175/55-15) that I am having installed, and they are directional. Not that it makes any difference, just for informational purposes.
    I believe Ron ( BajaRon ) just posted a very through explanation of the various types of treads available ...... but as I said above, the differences are so small they are meaningless. ...... Mike

  8. #8
    Very Active Member troop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    2,080
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I'm also thinking that the 175 front might have a slightly higher chance of hydroplaning than the 165. My Vredestein 165 is a wonderful tire, and I romp around on a F3S..


    2019 F3-S SE6 Monolith Black
    --------------------------------
    Comfort: Madstad 14" dk gray-20" lt gray windshields/Seth Laam seat/Ultimate floorboards/Helibars/Heated grips/Backrest

    Ride-Handling: Spyder Extras sway bar/Vredestein Q5 front tires/Goodyear Ultra Grip rear tire/Wilber 640 HPA rear shock/Laser aligned/15" Widow PPA wheels/Podium 1.5 front shocks

    Performance: DynoJet PV3 (custom mapped by Fuel Moto)/modded intake/Pedal Commander/EBC HH brake pads/TBR exhaust

    Convenience: Shad detachable luggage/Garmin Zumo XT GPS-Touratech lock/Lamonster Packrack-80L top case/JBL speakers

    Safety/Protection: H4 LED headlights/TricLED driving lights/TricLED run-brake-turn rear light/Frunk lip LED light strip/Spyder Extras bumper guard grill/ Chopped rear fender/FOBO 2 TPMS/TricLED sequential front signals & run/turn fog covers/Motohorn
    2019 F3-S , Monolith black

  9. #9
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    18,573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I'm also thinking that the 175 front might have a slightly higher chance of hydroplaning than the 165. My Vredestein 165 is a wonderful tire, and I romp around on a F3S..
    Generally speaking a wider tire ( of the same Brand & Tread pattern ) will hydro-plane sooner. But determining " how much sooner " would require sophisticated testing equipment - because the number would be very small ..... Mike

  10. #10
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    12,462
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Vredestein Quatrac is at the top of the ratings pile .... Folks have said the 175/55-15 fits and is excellent in all aspects .... Personally I bought the 165/60-15 because it was $ 5.00 less .... Any Extra traction you Might get from the wider size is CANCELLED by the VSS computer settings ..... good luck ... Mike
    I love tire threads. So, forgive me.

    I'm interested in how the VSS system will negate additional traction Mike? I understand that more traction creates more centrifugal force which = more lean. Smoother approach can mitigate this a fair amount. Quick motion can definitely set the Nanny off. Still, I think that better traction is generally a useful pursuit.

    I have no definitive comparisons between the 165/60r15 and the 175/55r15. I have customers who ride both. They are all very happy and impressed with the Vredestein tires.

    Generally speaking, the wider and lower profile 175 will give you better lateral traction. As the lower sidewall profile should create less tread roll-under. Whereas, the 165 might give you a slightly better ride (road bump absorption) and hydroplane resistance. I agree with Mike. Not sure how much real difference there might be.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  11. #11
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    18,573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I love tire threads. So, forgive me.

    I'm interested in how the VSS system will negate additional traction Mike? I understand that more traction creates more centrifugal force which = more lean. Smoother approach can mitigate this a fair amount. Quick motion can definitely set the Nanny off. Still, I think that better traction is generally a useful pursuit.

    I have no definitive comparisons between the 165/60r15 and the 175/55r15. I have customers who ride both. They are all very happy and impressed with the Vredestein tires.

    Generally speaking, the wider and lower profile 175 will give you better lateral traction. As the lower sidewall profile should create less tread roll-under. Whereas, the 165 might give you a slightly better ride (road bump absorption) and hydroplane resistance. I agree with Mike. Not sure how much real difference there might be.
    Well my understanding of what the VSS detects includes lateral " G " forces.... that being said my personal experience with " G " forces and traction using the stickiest tire I tried on my Spyder was the Toyo Proxes T 1 r in 185/50-15 ( on the front ). .... After using it for a bit I discovered my " VSS " kicked in sooner then with my previous tire the Kenda OEM ( on my 2014 RT ) ..... I drive aggressive in the Twistie's and have learned to do it smoothly on my Spyders ..... Mike

  12. #12
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    12,462
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well my understanding of what the VSS detects includes lateral " G " forces.... that being said my personal experience with " G " forces and traction using the stickiest tire I tried on my Spyder was the Toyo Proxes T 1 r in 185/50-15 ( on the front ). .... After using it for a bit I discovered my " VSS " kicked in sooner then with my previous tire the Kenda OEM ( on my 2014 RT ) ..... I drive aggressive in the Twistie's and have learned to do it smoothly on my Spyders ..... Mike
    Yes, I really liked that Toyo as well. Of course, they quit making it... Typical.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •