Spyder Garage

Default How straightforward is an ST's Coolant change?

Searched already

Anyone know of a coolant change write up for a ST or is it pretty straight forward?

I’ve read here not to try the drain plug because it can twist and break, disconnect the hose instead.

Any other do’s and don’ts? Are there bleeders on the 998’s? Any fluid better than others or just go by the manual?

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask a question ;-)

Spyder Garage

My memory fails me, but I think the 998 used a different coolant than 1330. Would think tho, that if you give the bike a good flush, you could use a long term fluid. I use Dex-cool for topping off as my dealer tec said that is, essentially, what BRP uses.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

The drain plug is not necessarily a 'Don't'. We have found that some come off easily. And it is less work than pulling a hose. We apply PB Blaster, let it sit a bit and GENTLY turn. It's easy to know how much pressure is safely applied. Sometimes the plug comes right out and you're golden! If it doesn't, no harm. It's not like it will snap off in your hand with no warning. Applying reasonable pressure will not hurt anything.

Otherwise, it's a pretty straight forward event. Fill the reservoir to the 'Cold' line and shake the Spyder. Rocking it back and forth helps dislodge air before you start. Put more coolant in if necessary to bring it back to the 'Cold' line.

Let it idle at first so that any cavitation is not damaging. Get it to operating temperature watching coolant level. Top it off and go riding for a few miles. Come back and check coolant level again. You should be Good to Go!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-24-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Be sure to NOT mix colors of coolant. Flush/Rinse Thoroughly & repeat every 2 years.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The drain plug is not necessarily a 'Don't'. We have found that some come off easily. And it is less work than pulling a hose. We apply PB Blaster, let it sit a bit and GENTLY turn. It's easy to know how much pressure is safely applied. Sometimes the plug comes right out and you're golden! If it doesn't, no harm. It's not like it will snap off in your hand with no warning. Applying reasonable pressure will not hurt anything.

Otherwise, it's a pretty straight forward event. Fill the reservoir to the 'Cold' line and shake the Spyder. Rocking it back and forth helps dislodge air before you start. Put more coolant in if necessary to bring it back to the 'Cold' line.

Let it idle at first so that any cavitation is not damaging. Get it to operating temperature watching coolant level. Top it off and go riding for a few miles. Come back and check coolant level again. You should be Good to Go!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you, so pretty straight forward.