Spyder Garage

Default RT Bluetooth add-on - must it really use a phone as source?

Looking for some help with Bluetooth on my 2018 Spyder RT Touring? I have purchased the factory Bluetooth add-on and the dealership installed it, but tells me it will not Bluetooth the Aux from the stereo to my helmet, I must use a phone as my audio source. I find this rather hard to believe as tech as this bike is. What are they missing? Thank you for any input.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-23-2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

BRP is really advanced with their technology, but the missed the boat with their radio/GPS/Bluetooth connection.
    Most people don't use the GPS function because that is all you get when your phone is connected. No music or anything else.
    Your best thing to do is to Bluetooth connect your head set to your phone.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2018 and newer models (except base & S) come with Bluetooth built in. All you do is pair your phone and headsets to it, start music playing, turn the key on and ride. You can also have GPS, Tracking & FOBO.

Download the BRP Go app and follow easy instructions.

https://youtu.be/X5Y21_S06n4
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-24-2022 at 12:55 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The BRP Bluetooth is a receiver to allow your Bluetooth capable phone (or even a {gasp} IPOD) to send audio to the Spyder's audio system and play out through the bike's speakers, it's not a pass through that sends audio to a helmet audio system, Lamonster and others sell a different bluetooth adapter that takes the Spyder's audio and sends it to a helmet system. My '13 RTL used an add-on aftermarket harness that fed a Sena SM10-01 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter but you had to disable the bike's speakers to enable the SENA transmitter so bike speakers OR helmet speakers, couldn't do both.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    The BRP Bluetooth is a receiver to allow your Bluetooth capable phone (or even a {gasp} IPOD) to send audio to the Spyder's audio system and play out through the bike's speakers, it's not a pass through that sends audio to a helmet audio system, Lamonster and others sell a different bluetooth adapter that takes the Spyder's audio and sends it to a helmet system. My '13 RTL used an add-on aftermarket harness that fed a Sena SM10-01 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter but you had to disable the bike's speakers to enable the SENA transmitter so bike speakers OR helmet speakers, couldn't do both.
    Um, excuse me but on the 2018 and newer models (except Base & S) when you pair your bluetooth headset/s to the bike it allows music and any other sounds the phone makes to be heard by the headsets.

So music and GPS goes into the bike’s system and comes out either thru the external speakers or headsets.

So, YES is does send audio to the headsets!
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-24-2022 at 06:50 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Your best thing to do is to Bluetooth connect your head set to your phone.
    That's how I do it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    That's how I do it.
    Much easier to work the apps with the joystick than touching the phone. Having the headset paired to both phone and bike can cause problems.

Using the dash system is not really all that difficult.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Strange, I have an 18RTL Anniversary Edition, and a Samsung Galaxy 10+ and was never able to feed the phones audio to the Spyder's audio successfully into my Sena or Schuberth Headsets through the Bike (though I could listen to that audio on the Spyder's speakers). I could easily send the audio from my phone to both the Sena and Schuberth headsets. (And I don't have a dedicated GPS, just use the phone's mapping, so hear that in the headsets).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Strange, I have an 18RTL Anniversary Edition, and a Samsung Galaxy 10+ and was never able to feed the phones audio to the Spyder's audio successfully into my Sena or Schuberth Headsets through the Bike (though I could listen to that audio on the Spyder's speakers). I could easily send the audio from my phone to both the Sena and Schuberth headsets. (And I don't have a dedicated GPS, just use the phone's mapping, so hear that in the headsets).
    With ANY smartphone integrated system you do NOT pair to both the phone and vehicle. Just to the vehicle. Check YouTube for vids on how to work the Harley, Honda, BMW systems. They all tell you to pair to the bike only. Also smartphone have 3 antennas, cell, WiFi and GPS. So the phone is a dedicated GPS. Cheaper too.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hemillama View Post
    Looking for some help with Bluetooth on my 2018 Spyder RT Touring? I have purchased the factory Bluetooth add-on and the dealership installed it, but tells me it will not Bluetooth the Aux from the stereo to my helmet, I must use a phone as my audio source. I find this rather hard to believe as tech as this bike is. What are they missing? Thank you for any input.
    I think i should be more specific, the bike BT connects to the helmet with NO audio of any sort coming through the dealership tells me to purchase this add on they install it and tell me the only way to get audio through my helmet is to use a phone. this makes less than sense to me so what are they missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hemillama View Post
    I think i should be more specific, the bike BT connects to the helmet with NO audio of any sort coming through the dealership tells me to purchase this add on they install it and tell me the only way to get audio through my helmet is to use a phone. this makes less than sense to me so what are they missing?
    YOU DO NOT NEED IT. The dealer has no clue or is trying to get rid of stock on you. You go into the settings in the menu using the joystick. Select Bluetooth and pair phone and headsets. Start music playing in phone and you hear it in the speakers or headset. Use the joystick to work the menu to change from speakers to headset.

The BRP Go app you download to your phone has simple instructions.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    YOU DO NOT NEED IT. The dealer has no clue or is trying to get rid of stock on you. You go into the settings in the menu using the joystick. Select Bluetooth and pair phone and headsets. Start music playing in phone and you hear it in the speakers or headset. Use the joystick to work the menu to change from speakers to headset.

The BRP Go app you download to your phone has simple instructions.

I have Sat Radio on the AUX that is what i want to come through the helmet i do not care about the phone

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Sat radio using the Sirius XM app on the phone. Streaming music. No wires, no mounting extra gadgets, no cluttering the handlebars. Just start playing Music, turn the bike on and go.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red