Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st Ryker service, what do they do?

My dealer wants $360 for the first service at 3000miles.
    Do they really do anything essential beyond the oil change, which I can for less than half of that?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Every dealership is going to be different. There is going to be a fairly high price on the BRP oil and filter, figure an hour labor rate and add in shop fees, oil disposal and your at $360. Maybe they will be nice and check your tire pressure and fill your blinker fluid?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

You don't give the MY of your Ryker, so go to the maintenance section of your operator's guide and you will see that the first and subsequent scheduled service is at 6,000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. Therefore, you are dealing with a stealership, not a dealership. If you want to be polite about it ask the service manager to show you the page in the operator's guide that says the first services is scheduled at 3,000 miles. When he can't do so, tell him you do not have your vehicles serviced at facilities that deal in bovine effluent and you'll find another dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The 3000 is my figure not theirs. I just don't want to go beyond that on the initial oil change. If all they're doing is the oil change and a bunch of cursory checks as mentioned, I'll probably do it myself.

Spyder Garage

The service schedule lists what has to be done at each interval. There are 19 items listed for the first service.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staneric View Post
    The 3000 is my figure not theirs. I just don't want to go beyond that on the initial oil change. If all they're doing is the oil change and a bunch of cursory checks as mentioned, I'll probably do it myself.
    I get the oil change kit on Amazon and do it myself. It's a little more involved then changing car oil but it's not bad and there are plenty of videos out there to steer you down the right path.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check all fluids, change oil and filter, check engine air filter and trans air filter (will be 2x as dirty as engine)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tenance-photos
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-14-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black