Spyder Garage

Default Shifting Issues - F3 won't always shift out of 1st - anyone else?

2018 F3 Limited 6,000 miles, just serviced ... So, I took my "new" F3 out for our first serious ride today. On three separate occasions after coming to a stop, it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. After sitting beside the road fussin' and cussin' for a few minutes and several restarts it was fine until the next time it happened. Kind of feels like a heat/temp issue to me. Checked the oil and it is in normal range. Anyone else been through this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-23-2022 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's a little different than mine. I was able to get in neutral, then it wouldn't go into any gear for 10- 15 minutes. That's why heat/temp comes to mind. Modules/electronics can be bothered by heat or overheat themselves, I think. At least they used to back in my hot-rodding days. Will check for codes tomorrow.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjr00 View Post
    That's a little different than mine. I was able to get in neutral, then it wouldn't go into any gear for 10- 15 minutes. That's why heat/temp comes to mind. Modules/electronics can be bothered by heat or overheat themselves, I think. At least they used to back in my hot-rodding days. Will check for codes tomorrow.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    There have been quite a few reports of problems with the " paddle shifters ", so I think this is a possibility .....good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Make sure your coolant is topped off. If it get very low, it plays heck with the sensors.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There have been quite a few reports of problems with the " paddle shifters ", so I think this is a possibility .....good luck ... Mike
    Yes, this, there was a service recall for this very same problem affecting the 2018's.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Update... service tech texted me. Replacement shifter switch has been ordered. No ETA, but it's progress!

Spyder Garage

Yup. Progress.

Ta for the update.

Spyder Garage

This fall, the left hand control module (aka as the left hand -switch-) on my 2018 F3L (17K miles) had similar issues as yours. A call to my dealer about the problem resulted in BRP covering the replacement module under a "Good Will" warranty that covered parts and labor. This is a well documented problem. My Spyder is back to shifting as good as new. Thumbs up to BRP for the acknowledgement of the problem and taking care of me. The module alone is a $510 part.

Spyder Garage

Great info, great results, Thanks

Spyder Garage

Left hand switch replaced, no charge, bike picked up and ridden 4 hours over two days. Shifting beautifully. Come on sunshine, Daddy's ready to ride!
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Had the same on my 2020 F3S, not just poor shifting but also indicator button reacting on it's own will. Lefthand switch replaced under warranty and now it is back to how it should be
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in Neutral

In December, I got stranded on a hill along a narrow rural road on my new 2022 F3-S when coming to a stop. The Spyder was stuck in neutral and I couldn't change it into any gear (forward or reverse). To make matters worse, the parking brake wouldn't engage, so I could not dismount to investigate the problem. Fortunately, 2 "good Samaritans" stopped and helped me chock the rear tire and get the Spyder turned around and off the side of the narrow curvy road.

I called BRP Roadside Assistance for a tow truck. I was out of their network, so I was instructed to call a local towing business that towed my new Spyder to the nearest dealer (where I purchased my Spyder). It was repaired under warranty at no cost. However, I am now trying to get BRP to reimburse me for the $124 towing charge because I had to pay out-of-pocket for the towing.

I have attached a photo of the broken part that prevented me from shifting into any usable gear.

IMG_9241.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg
    Current:
    ~ 2020 Ryker 900 ACE
    ~ 2022 Spyder F3-S

Previous bikes:
    2001 Triumph Thunderbird
    2002 Triumph Trophy 1200
    2005 Vespa GT200
    2010 Triumph Bonneville Black
    2018 Suzuki Burgman 400ABS

2 & 3 wheel rides:

Visited states:
    [img

Spyder Garage

Ah...the kindness of strangers. Nice to know that there are many folks out there who are willing to lend a hand!