Spyder Garage

Default What's with all these BS fees?!

I gave my Spyder to my son a few months ago and didn't realize how much I would miss it, so I have been looking for a used one, 2014 - 2016. I now understand what everyone is talking about with the dealer add on fees. One in particular, without even trying to negotiate a price lower than the asking, over and above the sales tax, is adding on about $10%, over $1200 in what I call BS fees including $199.00 for "battery protection." Like I am going to drive 120 miles roundtrip and spend probably $20.00 in gas to get a battery that I can buy anywhere from $85.00 to about $130.00 if I need a replacement. I guess I will wait until I can find one being sold by a private party.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2022 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly state the purpose for the thread! ;-)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try looking in the for sale by owner area here https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Limited-SE6-MD not bad if you want to try an F3. You can try FB market place too in your area they have some deals sometimes. Good Luck with your search.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Jim Evans, Gaffney, SC, has a 2016 RTS listed for sale here on the forum. He posted it just this afternoon in fact. It might interest you and he's not too very far from you it would appear.
    Last edited by Arion; 11-22-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bonus Money

...Well another Bonus Money deal for the sales person. Things like this are going on with everything.
    If they can get you to buy these add-ons, it gives more money to your sales person.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

... Glass etching and undercoating all over again ...

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I gave my Spyder to my son a few months ago and didn't realize how much I would miss it, so I have been looking for a used one, 2014 - 2016. I now understand what everyone is talking about with the dealer add on fees. One in particular, without even trying to negotiate a price lower than the asking, over and above the sales tax, is adding on about $10%, over $1200 in what I call BS fees including $199.00 for "battery protection." Like I am going to drive 120 miles roundtrip and spend probably $20.00 in gas to get a battery that I can buy anywhere from $85.00 to about $130.00 if I need a replacement. I guess I will wait until I can find one being sold by a private party.
    there aren't many dealers with any morals left in America!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

It seems the dealers of these things are a different breed. I would rather go the the dentist than return to the dealership where I bought one of our Spyders. Since I bought it, I have not heard a peep from them, no follow up after the sale, and it was a very poor experience at best. Maybe that's why? The other I bought used...
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This really isn't anything new .... I haven'\t been in a Dealership in 8 yrs., I never even brought it in for any " initial servicing ". .... If there needed to have warranty work, I would have that done, but nothing else. .... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

The good thing........................................

Thankfully, we are smarter than they are. We don't need no steenkin undercoating, battery insurance, ad nauseum etc.

Do your due dilligence. Know what is going on.

I bought my last two Spyders without leaving my desk. I did my research, and made my deals. They picked up the trade-ins. They dropped off the new machines with a full tank of gas. I have not been to an "authorized" dealer since May of 2019. The one in AK was okay....but I also bought over 10 motorcycles and spyders from them in the 20 years I was there. Tried dealing with the locals here, and I got a rude awakening.

Their loss, my gain. We are fortunate to have two independents within driving distance. They both have performed service and accessorizing for us.

I refuse to "play the game" with the new "crop" of dealers.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-23-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Heres one right near you. Posted in FB Palm Coast.jpg

Allan Zeiler

·
    Needing to sell my 2013 Spyder RT L. 32k miles, mostly highway. Ultimate seat, lots of safety lights, good rubber, excellent condition. Comes with a full set of luggage that fits into all compartments, a tow bar for a trailer, a Geeza cover, always garage kept. Asking $12,000. PM for additional information. Located in Palm Coast, FL
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

A rider in our local club has a 2015 RTS with 6600 miles for sale. It is a 1330 with the 5 speed manual in perfect garage kept condition. He's asking $14500. If you're interested, PM me. I have some photos.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Also here's one pretty close to you.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-in-NE-Georgia
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have two like new F3L's for sale. See my ad in the for sale section.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    there aren't many dealers with any morals left in America!!!!!!!!!

~~~bought my Ryker & the RTL I’m currently piloting from the Topeka Kansas dealer (Cycle Zone). Aaron (sales mgr.) always takes care of me. I recommend them highly

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

I bought my last two Spyders without leaving my desk. I did my research, and made my deals. They picked up the trade-ins. They dropped off the new machines with a full tank of gas. ...
    Who is "they"? I'm getting that you shopped over the interwebs, but just wondering who's doing the trade-in pickups and new machine drop offs that you're referring to.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love it when they check my credit rating and see that I have a stellar number, because the dealership knows that I am a serious buyer.

When we go over the sales contract, I make sure to do a line-by-line item check to see if they'll charge me such BS fees. I adamantly say, "Nope, not gonna pay for that" or "Uh no, I'm not gonna pay for this either". If they still insist, I just start getting up out of my seat and say, "Let me know when we can close out this deal".

You'd be surprise how quickly they change their tune. This usually works, especially when it's at the end of the month and demand for the product is low (such as a leftover, because most people want to buy the latest and greatest).

I got a screaming' deal on my '18 RTL only because it was a year old and still in the crate.

Good luck !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Who is "they"? I'm getting that you shopped over the interwebs, but just wondering who's doing the trade-in pickups and new machine drop offs that you're referring to.
    imotorsports, Chicago. I was completely satisfied both times. The deals are not as good now as they were in 20 and 21.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Im still waiting on the passenger factory armrests that was supposed to be on my 22 limited i ordered last may. All payed for when i ordered the ride. I found so much crap wrong with the bike from the very beginning. Complained to dealer about them but no response.. I went to them last month to check on armrests and the they laughed and said every thing is back ordered . BUT cant give me a refund on armrests so i could maybe purchase aftermarket . Dealers IMO just have given up on everything but selling. They seem to not care about anything else
    2022 RT Limited