Spyder Garage

Default Surprisingly clear results from 4120 dashcam!

Just tested in the car (truck) the "4k Ultra HD Dash Cam" I bought at CostCo for $119 ! This is my first dashcam, and I have wanted one on the Spyder for a long time, but didn't like the prices I was seeing. Took a ride to a few stores yesterday and just turned it on and let it run for as long as I could to and from the stores to home. I can't say enough about how surprised I was by the clarity of the videos on playback at home on the computer.
    Still don't know how to set it up to record full time, not just for 1 minute segments at a time (we had to hit the start button everytime it stops recording during our drive). The enclosed manual says it can do all kinds of things, but currently it is confusing me just trying to understand the instructions for the basics!

In my mind, the manual is confusing at best, but youtube videos about this unit are great !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I hae a dash cam in my daily driver (truck) I was wondering about one on the spyder, how is the vibration? where do you have it mounted? My cam, records full time in 1 minute increments, but I do not have to turn it on after a minute for the next. there's a toggle in there somewhere.
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reply realtor. I don't have it mounted on the spyder yet, but hope to by the weekend - with just the "sucking cup" for the first test. Will reply again when I have something. Spending thanksgiving changing engine oil and filter + HCM filter in our 2014 RTL. First DIY oil change for me. Hope for no surprises.
    I have one of the youtube videos on an old laptop sitting in the area - just in case I need input along the way.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Still don't know how to set it up to record full time, not just for 1 minute segments at a time (we had to hit the start button everytime it stops recording during our drive). The enclosed manual says it can do all kinds of things, but currently it is confusing me just trying to understand the instructions for the basics!
    Most units can be set up to record in 1, 3 or 5 minute increments. I look at that as a plus. Each of my units has a remote button that records a file about 30 seconds prior to the press and a minute or so after. This gets stored in a special folder on the SD card where it can't be overwritten. I use this as a time stamp to go back quickly to find what I am interested in.

By recording short increments stuff becomes easy to find later when needed and during editing any number of files can be grouped together to form one bigger file. Even without the button if you can mount it where you can reach it easily most have a button on the unit you can press and do the same thing. Had one in the past that was hard to operate so I would just hit it fairly hard, it would think there might have been an accident and would store a file that way.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Do you have a 12V connection on your Spyder to run the camera off of? Or how are you powering it.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Posted about my new dash cam from CostCo last Christmas time and said I would mention thoughts after I had a chance to use it on the Spyder.
    Well yesterday was the day. The first real time out on the road since buying it. I mounted it on the RTL windshield with the vacuum clamping method that comes with it. I then ran the power cord around a few items like the windshield bracket and down around the right hand mirror, then down the side close to the front trunk and into the trunk to plug into a power outlet I had installed earlier in case I needed it for my traveling air pump. Just didn't want the unit to be put under any stress that might unplug it or break the vacuum seal to the windshield.
    We ran for 4.5 hours (stopping for lunch too) and I had the unit recording all the time we were on the road.
    The video is unbelievably sharp and there is NO vibration noted in the unit OR the video.

I can't wait to get out again with a "bigger" memory card. I had a 32Gig in it this time, and it kept running all the time, but I noticed at home it had deleted a few files on the front end of the trip to have room for the rest of the trip. Looking back...the book does say 32 gig is good for 2 hours. The 64 gig is good for 4 hours. Sooooo, I can live with that!! (I can always carry another micro card too and change it out.
    Anyway, just my experience in answer to someone who asked about it last year, before we ever had good weather to take it out.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2023 at 01:43 PM. Reason: yeterday - yesterday ;-)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update!!!
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I have a go pro on my dash wired to ignition switch . . No battery in go pro so it starts to record as soon as key switch is on. Works great for me as it records my rides.
    2022 RT Limited