Spyder Garage

Default Gauges acting a bit strange - any ideas on cause?

Hello all! I’m new to spyder ownership , just bought a used 2011 rt-s in blue. Love this machine it has really scratched my itch to get back into riding. I do seem to be having an issue with my gauges. I’ve been riding some chilly weather here in Maine, as low as 38 degrees and my temp gauge suddenly goes to just below the red zone if I idle for very long. The other curious thing is when I shut the bike off the fuel gauge pegs out way past full and the temp gauge rest out at the quarter mark. These readings connected? Is something affecting the reading? I also just connected a quad lock power source for a wireless mount on the handle bar mounts, would that affect the gauges? Any advice appreciated- I’ve already learned a great deal from this forum and appreciated the collective experience here

Spyder Garage

Does it have the magic mirror mod - this affected some. There was a fix but am unable to remember what it was.

Best of luck chasing the Gremlin

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 10centspyder View Post
    Hello all! I’m new to spyder ownership , just bought a used 2011 rt-s in blue. Love this machine it has really scratched my itch to get back into riding. I do seem to be having an issue with my gauges. I’ve been riding some chilly weather here in Maine, as low as 38 degrees and my temp gauge suddenly goes to just below the red zone if I idle for very long. The other curious thing is when I shut the bike off the fuel gauge pegs out way past full and the temp gauge rest out at the quarter mark. These readings connected? Is something affecting the reading? I also just connected a quad lock power source for a wireless mount on the handle bar mounts, would that affect the gauges? Any advice appreciated- I’ve already learned a great deal from this forum and appreciated the collective experience here
    Well if this Spyder is new to you, it could be low on anti-freeze .... hopefully it has some in there now, and it's not so old it no longer provides adequate cooling ..... Mine got low & this was the cause .... It's difficult to see Exactly how much is in the reservoir ...... So I just added until it over-flowed, the next ride I took it spit out the excess from the system. ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-21-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Check your battery connections. Loose ones are know to cause erratic gauge readings. Also the older analog units were known to be erratic anyway just cause. If you disconnect the gauges your digital ones will show up on the dash and are much more reliable.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Check your battery connections. Loose ones are know to cause erratic gauge readings. Also the older analog units were known to be erratic anyway just cause. If you disconnect the gauges your digital ones will show up on the dash and are much more reliable.
    Agree with that entirely. Disconnected the analog gauges on my wife's 2012 RTS, before she traded it for a newer model, and found the digital gauges were much more stable and reliable. In fact, we removed the analog fuel and temperature gauges and replaced them with a digital voltmeter and a dual USB port. Did the same on my 2015 RTS as well and were/are very pleased.
    Last edited by Arion; 11-22-2022 at 05:15 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)