Spyder Garage

Default How to go about mounting Phone/otterbox??

I’ve been doing some research here on the forum today cause I need to get a phone holder soon. I think I’m going to try the tack form but had a couple questions.
    1) I’d prefer to keep the phone in my otterbox case but the dimension in the case is what appears to be 3.5”. Does anyone know if that’s too large for the mount?
    2) I was wondering pros and cons of bolt mounting vs. bar mounting. Any opinions?
    3) is the tack form vibration reduced like many say you should have?
    Thanks in advance
    Ray
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvet View Post
    I’ve been doing some research here on the forum today cause I need to get a phone holder soon. I think I’m going to try the tack form but had a couple questions.
    1) I’d prefer to keep the phone in my otterbox case but the dimension in the case is what appears to be 3.5”. Does anyone know if that’s too large for the mount?
    2) I was wondering pros and cons of bolt mounting vs. bar mounting. Any opinions?
    3) is the tack form vibration reduced like many say you should have?
    Thanks in advance
    Ray

I have an Ottar box case on my phone, a Galaxy A50. It fits fine in the Track Form holder. I originally had it mounted on one of the 4 handle bar mounting bolts, but found it tended to interfere with opening my glove box. Plus I didn’t like how it blocked easy access to my key. Since I purchased the Spyder cuff for my 2018 RT I now have my Track Form mounted to it and it works perfectly for me. Simple one handed in and out. When I measure my phone in the case it comes out to like 3" wide by 6.5" high. But the mount is spring loaded so I'm pretty sure it would open andother 1/2". I like this mount.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I have the Tack Form and a otterbox defender cover on my S20+ and have no problems. There's extra room for expansion if needed.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My phone is in an Otter Box and is held on my spyder by a Track Form mounted to the center of the handlebars. Been there for over 50k miles and works great.

Spyder Garage

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max, with an Otterbox Defender case, sometimes a Lifeproof case. When I was in the market for a phone mount I looked at Tack Form. But based on everything I could find my phone with case would not fit in Tack Form. I bought a Ram Mounts Large X Grip and have been very satisfied. I had it mounted on handlebar with provided U-bolt for a while, but is now mounted to a Lamonster top cuff. Both worked well, just the top cuff looks better than a U-bolt wrapped around bars to me.

The key is what phone and exactly which Otterbox case you have. Dimensions for case and TackForm mount can be found on there respective websites.

I also got creative and mounted my gate opener remote to the top cuff as well, both are on left side and I am pleased with how clean it looks.
    Last edited by Revjames; 11-20-2022 at 08:37 PM.
    James C
    2022 F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

Don’t know if this option would work for you. If not, perhaps someone else? Purchased from LaMonster. Actually, LaMont’s wife suggested this mount for my phone, Spyder (21’ RT Limited)

You can see the tools I used to mount this rig lying on the pillion. FWIW, I don't have many miles on this Spyder currently (4500) yet i have ridden on some rough, washboard roads at times & its held up with nary a hiccup. Note that anyone asked but i use the phone mounted like this to listen to music primarily via Bluetooth earbuds (Apple brand)

If the phone’s batt is low I’ll plug into the harness found in this cubby hole (hot only w/the motor running)

I was making a half dozen runs up to Jacksonville this past spring, and the main reason I acquired the mount in the first place, so I could follow mapping to get up to Clear Choice (In JAX). Surprisingly, using the GPS on the cheesy iphone in the pics, I could hear the voice prompts that came through the mapping program whilst listening to the 6 speaker stereo that came standard on this RTL edition quite easily despite cranking the volume to listen to loud rock blasting thru the Jacksonville freeways @ (80 + MPH)

I normally wear a 1/2 helmet

The helmet in the above pic. Wether its voice prompts via the iPhone’s GPS or music coming through You Tube on the iphone, the Apple earbuds I’m using (1st gen), and they’re Apple earbuds I bought used from Amazon, I can hear music or plain speech quite well with the kit i mentioned. Again, it”s all low budget components yet I can hear it all clearly at speed wearing a half helmet, which isn’t”t the quiet atmosphere i have while wearing a full face helmet

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I too have the large Iphone in the Otterbox making me question the Tack Form. I'll have to look at the Ram Mounts you mentioned as well as the Lamonster top cuff. I appreciate the advice.

Spyder Garage

one could always call or email track form to see if said phone and case will fit... just a thought

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, you might consider buying a belt clip/mount from Otterbox that mates to your case. The mechanism that locks the phone case to that belt carrier will withstand ALOT, and could be permanently locked into a cuff mount.

I bought a belt clip and permanently (via a brass plate) attached it to the bracket that holds that handle bars on.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I have a large iPhone in a otterbox and it fits in a track form. But I use a quadlock that fit better
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

LaMonster Cuff and Phone Phang mounted on a ram ball. All you need and it will fit fine.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!