Spyder Garage

Default What do you make of these Keys?

What do you make of these? Gray was in the ignition; Red was in the glove...

Keys.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

The Gray Key is the normal Ignition key; the Red Key is the Master Key that won't let you operate or open anything, but is essential for adding keys to the DESS of 2013 & earlier Spyders.

Those Red Keys are pretty scarce now, but are only sought after by owners of 2013 & earlier bikes who want/need to add keysto their security systems, and to do that they still MUST have a working Grey Key.... and the adding process isn't exactly 'hard', but it is a bit of a saga that MUST be completed properly or you'll have key issues from there on - quite a few seem to find it difficult to complete & mess it up!

But if your Bike is a 2018 F3 as it appears from your other posts (btw, you really should add that info to your sig line so people don't hafta guess or ask - it's always handy to know when answering questions... ) the Red Key is useless to you - maybe you could sell/trade/give it to someone who services/works on earlier Spyders, or the owner of a 2013 or earlier who's trying to add keys?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 04:28 PM. Reason: 2018 F3??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My red key is for my Rt-622 trailer. Up until around 2016, the new RT's would come with an extra lock tumbler and red key. The idea was that you would by the trailer also and want it keyed alike.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The Gray Key is the normal Ignition key; the Red Key is the Master Key that won't let you operate or open anything, but is essential for adding keys to the DESS of 2013 & earlier Spyders.

Those Red Keys are pretty scarce now, but are only sought after by owners of 2013 & earlier bikes who want/need to add keysto their security systems, and to do that they still MUST have a working Grey Key.... and the adding process isn't exactly 'hard', but it is a bit of a saga that MUST be completed properly or you'll have key issues from there on - quite a few seem to find it difficult to complete & mess it up!

But if your Bike is a 2018 F3 as it appears from your other posts (btw, you really should add that info to your sig line so people don't hafta guess or ask - it's always handy to know when answering questions... ) the Red Key is useless to you - maybe you could sell/trade/give it to someone who services/works on earlier Spyders, or the owner of a 2013 or earlier who's trying to add keys?!
    But maybe different key does not look like one Finless has in vid; https://youtu.be/a8xbXEE_ky4 would see try see if has transponder chip. Don’t try in spyder, may accidentally start programming & delete your keys
    Last edited by Bfromla; 11-20-2022 at 08:24 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    But maybe different key does not look like one Finless has in vid; https://youtu.be/a8xbXEE_ky4 would see try see if has transponder chip. Don’t try in spyder, may accidentally start programming & delete your keys

Gotta agree about that!! I've seen too many 'half programmed early Spyders' that now no longer work at all to recommend anyone try that!

But the Red key in the original pic looks just like the Master Key I've got somewhere in the workshop here?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But the Red key in the original pic looks just like the Master Key I've got somewhere in the workshop here?!?
    Maybe you should check on that.

The red key that the OP has is NOT a red Master Key. That is all red. Refer to the Finless Bob video.

The key that the OP has is one of the two keys that was available in the lockset for the RT 622 trailer. Back in the day, you received just a lock barrel for the trailer only if you bought an RT. It matched the ignition key. If you needed to replace it, or you had a different model Spyder, you bought the lockset for the trailer through the parts system as an accessory. They have a red border so you can tell them apart from your ignition key. Anybody with an older accessory catalog will find it on the trailer page. The old part number was 219400180. The new part number is 219400710. They're both unavailable.

Used to be available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.in/Can-Am-2194001.../dp/B00ARC98RC

https://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Roadst...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Also described by SpyderAnn01 here in the last post:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ailer-locksets

Apparently, based on the Amazon reviews, that lockset also works in a BRP top case.

For the OP, if the key doesn't work in your Spyder anywhere, and if you don't have a trailer or a top case that the key fits in, the person who does might be grateful to have that key. Don't be afraid to try it in the ignition. Because even if it WAS a Master Key, which it isn't, your F3 machine has a different DESS Module than the old machines, and can only be programmed with BUDS.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 11-21-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Well I tried the red one everywhere "except" the ignition. Oddly enough the only place it works is the gas cap and the gray key doesn't. Glad I had the red one with me when I stopped for gas. Maybe the gas cap was changed at some point. Unfortunately the young lady that sold me the bike is of no help at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Maybe you should check on that.

The red key that the OP has is NOT a red Master Key. That is all red. Refer to the Finless Bob video.
    Hmmm, mine, which is just like the one pictured with just the red edging, is DEFINITELY a Master Key; it's a key blank with no cut at all, and it puts 2013 & earlier DESS's into Key programming mode & does nothing else - it was purchased from BRP to do that & has been used for that numerous times in the years since; and the key barrel set that came with my RT, which I still have, is 'keyed alike' to the 2 ignition keys that I also still have..... so there was obviously some variation or confusion with key coding going on in BRP back then?!

Glad you found out what yours does cjr Maybe someone found or bought a spare lock cylinder & key set & swapped it into their gas cap at some stage - those gas caps are notorious for being difficult to shut, so it might've been an attempt to sort that?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!