Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a battery monitor called Battery Bug that I bought for my Goldwing a number of years ago. When the battery voltage drops below 12 the BB starts beeping. I know then that it's time to plug in the charger/maintainer.

Unfortunately BB lost a patent infringement lawsuit and were forced out of business. The company that drove them into the ground never saw fit to put the product back on the market, which is really sad since the BB does a great job of displaying the battery's condition.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Make sure what ever one you use to put a ground fault wall plug or ground fault.cord on it then if something goes wrong with the charger it will kick the power off to the device

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    I use battery maintainer for the long winter storage months in Alberta. Put battery maintainer on once a month for about 2 days then take it off which helps my peace of mind in not leaving it on all the time and maybe having some electrical/battery issues. I also add fuel stabilizer, pump the tires up to the max air and even roll it forwards and backwards monthly to help avoid tire flat spots. Have been doing this with motorcycle storage for over 30 years, seem to work for me.
    If you pump the tire PSI to the about 45, on the tire you can stop moving it.... Spyders / Rykers are very light and this will prevent " flat spotting " ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes but I have fried a couple of batteries leaving it hooked up all the time. I alternate my battery tender (Noco brand) between my lawn mower, two scooters, one motorcycle, and one Spyder every week or so. Others will argue whether the tender failed the battery but I have a good friend who owned a motorcycle dealership for many years and he agrees with me. He saw it many times over the years. If you only have one battery to maintain, hook it up for a day or so and do this weekly or monthly. Your battery will be just fine.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I will disconnect the negative terminal on the battery of my 2016 Spyder RT-S if it will not be used for any extended period of time. My small part in not wasting energy and helping the environment. If one of my vehicles will sit all winter, when Spring comes I may put battery on charger and this has always worked for me. **Don't forget Sta-Bil in gas**

Spyder Garage

Have used BT's on all my motorcycles since the late 1990's. That's approx. 12 bikes. Left the bikes on tenders year round. Never had a fried battery issue. I think my shortest lived battery was a 3.5 year old Advance Auto generic. YMMV

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I used a CTEK maintainer on my Valkyrie and changed the battery out at 10 years old. The battery tested good, but I changed it anyway since it was 10 years old. I just had my garden tractor's battery go bad after 9 years after keeping it on a CTEK maintainer. My Indian Scout and 2015 RT are constantly on CTEK maintainers and I have absolutely no starting issues. So YES, you should use a maintainer. BTW, I also use maintainers on my Ridgeline and Odyssey.

Spyder Garage

Peter's answer in post #15 is spot on. Keeping your battery on a maintainer all the time CAN mask a dead or dying battery. Happened to me when I rode 300 miles from home and had zero battery the next morning. Not convenient dealing with it 300 miles from home. During the riding season I ride 2-3 times a week and usually cover 175-300 miles each ride. No reason whatsoever to use a maintainer then. I will know if and when my battery is getting weak. If the bike will sit for more than a week or two, the maintainer gets attached. But, I will disconnect it a day or so before going on a trip just to make sure I do, indeed, have a good battery and not one that just has a surface charge..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I leave my tender plugged in all the time. Battery tender makes a nice load tester that can give you confidence in your battery. If you're a DIY'er there are some nice power supplies that include a volt meter. I use mine to load test my battery every time I thumb the starter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Peter's answer in post #15 is spot on. Keeping your battery on a maintainer all the time CAN mask a dead or dying battery. Happened to me when I rode 300 miles from home and had zero battery the next morning. Not convenient dealing with it 300 miles from home. During the riding season I ride 2-3 times a week and usually cover 175-300 miles each ride. No reason whatsoever to use a maintainer then. I will know if and when my battery is getting weak. If the bike will sit for more than a week or two, the maintainer gets attached. But, I will disconnect it a day or so before going on a trip just to make sure I do, indeed, have a good battery and not one that just has a surface charge..... Jim
    X's 5 ..... Back in my V-Twin days, when BRP didn't use an Alternator to replenish the battery. There were issues caused from " parasitic " drains on the battery. I used my Maintainer almost all the time. .... Now the 1330 eng. w an Alternator, it is actually detrimental to use a Maintainer unless it's necessary because the Spyder has been stored .... good luck .... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've used them for 20 years on a slew of bikes and never an issue.

Spyder Garage

I use one on my bike and mower every year about this time. When I don't ride (or use) for weeks at a time, the tender goes on anything with a battery.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

FYI; In post #33 here I explained how I use a tender. I had my bike on a tender for the 2 months I was recovering from foot surgery. Removed it a day before I was able to first ride again. Bike started just fine and went on a 150 mile lunch ride. I didn't plug it back in. A few days later tried to start bike and all I got was the dreaded clicking sound indicating my battery was going toes up! I'm glad I didn't keep the battery on the maintainer for those few days. Finding out my battery is expiring while at home is a lot more convenient than the alternative..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Tender plug?

Can I use this plug for a battery tender? If so where can I find an adapter for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
    Can I use this plug for a battery tender? If so where can I find an adapter for it?
    Looks more for heated gear, so whatever diameter to SAE 290AB2DE-D600-42A3-A233-A617653C8E45.jpeg DEFINITELY double check polarity & if has a fuse

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It has a fuse and is attached to positive of battery

Spyder Garage

No matter what was said above...

All batteries work, until they don't.

(I have 2 classic cars, 2 spyders, a riding mower, a electric start generator, and a boat all on maintainers all the time unless in use)
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Battery Minder Plus on all my batteries. 10 yrs on a HD battery, changed due to age. Same on one of my snowmobiles with no recoil, 10 yr change due to age.
    Just doubling the life of a battery pays for the maintainer. I only use the desulfating models with temperature compensation.
    Currently have 8 doing their job on toys and equipment with 3 seeing routine subzero storage temperatures.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

This same discussion is going on at a motorcycle forum I am on.
    One person who is a dealer says he sells about 100 batteries a year, and half come back due to maintainer issues.
    All I know is that I have had the sane Battery Tender Jr. for 18 years.
    It has been used on three bikes in that time with no problems.
    My Harley XR1200 has been on it for the last year and is fine.

Spyder Garage

Living in south Texas and riding year round, I very seldom use the tender. Only plugged my CTX1300 in once in 4-1/2 years. Have had my wife’s F3-S on it a couple times, but she doesn’t ride as often (or as far) as I do. My “quick rides” are usually around 25-30 miles. But ... I do have a Battery Tender. Just not used much.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
    If the Spyder is wired like mine, it is only connected when the key is on. I use the Electrical Connection Power Portm which is relay switched. Have a standard SAE maintainer connector on the key-off connection and heated gear coaxial connector on the key-on buss.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Living in south Texas and riding year round, I very seldom use the tender. Only plugged my CTX1300 in once in 4-1/2 years. Have had my wife’s F3-S on it a couple times, but she doesn’t ride as often (or as far) as I do. My “quick rides” are usually around 25-30 miles. But ... I do have a Battery Tender. Just not used much.
    Yes, that’s my attitude too, BC. I only plug in if the Spyder is going to sit for a while. If I’m about to head out on a multi day trip, I don’t want to disconnect the tender, get 300 miles from home and find my battery is flat the next morning as the tender has been hiding the fact that it was failing.

I had my first new F3 battery on a tender constantly, and my battery caught me out after 8 months after an overnight stop. I did not connect my 2nd battery to a tender (except for longer sitting periods) and it was still going strong after 4 years. I have adopted the same practise with my new RT.
    There are so many variables, and no single correct answer as to whether a permanently connected tender is indeed necessary

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red