Spyder Garage

Default Is it feasible to fit an easier Direction Indicator switch?

2021 S2S. Here's a question for our electrical geniuses. Due to the ongoing problems with my left hand I'm finding it harder and harder to operate the direction switch. Would it be feasible to break into the harness and fit an easier to operate switch, looks of the mod. are of no consequence so long as I can use it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink No and Yes

FT -- the answer is No and Yes.

No: Your MSL-MSR (multi-function switch left and right) uses CANBUS 2.0b to communicate with the console to control the turn signals (the MSR uses wires to communicate cruise control switch actions to the MSL which then uses CANBUS to inform the console, ECM, etc). The MSL periodically (about every 200-300ms) sends CANBUS messages (340h 11-bit identifier for my CANBUS 2.0a Spyder) about turn switch press status: Left, Right and Center. I suspect the console waits for two consecutive messages with the same status value (0 or 1) to "debounce" the press (Left is word 2 bit 7, Right is word 2 bit 6, Center is word 2 bit 5). Therefore you can't override the MSL by injecting your own conflicting status messages on the CANBUS because the console wouldn't be confused -- it would just ignore them as transients to be debounced.

Yes: take the turn signal function away from the console. Not that hard but not for the timid. I'll say more on this in the near future (right now my Spyder looks like a rat-rod as I drive around without the bodywork).
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Maybe avoid the electrical & look for button enlargement alternative joystick that could depress buttons instead opcorn Not knowing limitations of hand & range of motion, maybe just poke with other finger. Maybe a glove with extended tips various therapeutic items maybe helpful opcorn good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

On my 2017 the button slides right off. You could build up the button and replace. I toyed with it as I have a damaged left thumb.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    On my 2017 the button slides right off. You could build up the button and replace. I toyed with it as I have a damaged left thumb.
    Can you provide more information on sliding off the button. I have a 2017 F3T. I would like a taller or bigger button.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Can you provide more information on sliding off the button. I have a 2017 F3T. I would like a taller or bigger button.
    Sure. No worries . On my 2017 F3 Ltd, the black knob you push left and right is pushed onto a square mount attached to the unit. If you grab it or gently lever it away from the switch cluster towards the rear of the bike it will slide right off.

It looks like this.

20221120_164303.jpg 20221120_164312.jpg
    Hope this helps ya out.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 11-19-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. The last time I worked in the motor trade "Can" was a food container and "Bus" was a mass transport vehicle. So what BertRemington was suggesting I think was my new switch with my new wires running to all the indicators as separate circuits, replacing the Can Bus circuit, am I correct. Easier for me to do than try and understand Can Bus technology.
    Thanks again,
    Alan.

Spyder Garage

What was stated above about the switch and CANBUS is correct. You do not want to mess around with the wiring. My suggestion is to take off the switch button and have it thoroughly measured by someone that does 3D printing and have one fabricated to your specs.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Or take the button off and take some JB weld, build it up and shape it any way you want with a dermal tool, grinder, file! It's worked for me in the past!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

try to find someone with a 3D printer , and have one printed that will meet your needs.
    2019 F3 limited

Spyder Garage

Update

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    2021 S2S. Here's a question for our electrical geniuses. Due to the ongoing problems with my left hand I'm finding it harder and harder to operate the direction switch. Would it be feasible to break into the harness and fit an easier to operate switch, looks of the mod. are of no consequence so long as I can use it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Alan.
    Nah, there's no way one of them's ^^ gonna work Iso!

No matter where you stick it up him, the frog's still gonna be too floppy to make using the Direction Indicators any easier!

Nice idea tho, but there's truly no way that using a frog'll help!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Nah, there's no way one of them's ^^ gonna work Iso!

No matter where you stick it up him, the frog's still gonna be too floppy to make using the Direction Indicators any easier!

Nice idea tho, but there's truly no way that using a frog'll help!

Just Sayin'
    Jam him on. Tie the legs aroung the bar. Park it in the sun. Job done once it hardens.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2022 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default Clarification.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post. The problem with the switch is that my thumb is immobile, so I have to take my hand off the grip to operate the switch with one of my fingers, which I do not consider safe in traffic and as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle. I was hoping to fit an indicator switch to the front of the cluster and operate it with my index finger. But, as posted by BertRemington, I would have to rewire all the lights to avoid upsetting Mr CanBus. Back when I started riding and before indicators was a thing you could buy gauntlet style gloves that had a circular orange coloured light on the back of the hand. When giving hand signals you would touch tip of index finger to tip of thumb and the light would flash, but only to traffic behind of course.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only thing I can suggest is for you, or an electronics technician, to open up the switch and see what the physical configuration for the switch actually is. Most likely there are two little bubble switches on a printed circuit board. To signal a turn one or the other of the bubbles is pressed when you move the switch right or left. To turn off the signal you push in the button which will then simultaneously depress both PC bubbles. If one is careful and adept you might be able to solder thin wires to the appropriate traces on the PC board. Bring the wires out of the switch housing and connect them to a momentary-on/off/momentary-on 3 way toggle switch. Use a switch your fingers (maybe even your foot) can operate and locate it within reach. This will give you left/right signal operation but not turn off. You might be able to live without the turn off aspect since the signals self cancel after about 30 seconds. Depending on how the PC circuit is configured you might be able to add a second switch to give you the off function.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post. The problem with the switch is that my thumb is immobile, so I have to take my hand off the grip to operate the switch with one of my fingers, which I do not consider safe in traffic and as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle. I was hoping to fit an indicator switch to the front of the cluster and operate it with my index finger. But, as posted by BertRemington, I would have to rewire all the lights to avoid upsetting Mr CanBus. Back when I started riding and before indicators was a thing you could buy gauntlet style gloves that had a circular orange coloured light on the back of the hand. When giving hand signals you would touch tip of index finger to tip of thumb and the light would flash, but only to traffic behind of course.
    well according DMV suppose to use hand signals anyway (varies per state laws, blinkers or not) with that description maybe a improvised (3-d printed )brackets that could slip over the switch & do just that. Would of course possibly loose the cancellation feature, but operate &slide L-R hopefully. & there are other riding gear options.
    https://youtu.be/nZjVI47p160

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

"Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post. The problem with the switch is that my thumb is immobile, so I have to take my hand off the grip to operate the switch with one of my fingers, which I do not consider safe in traffic and as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle"

Well Dang.

" as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle"

What a load of crap.....No I dont accept that at all.

That indicator switch looks almost the same as every other indicator switch on every bike I have ridden. I still have time though I guess. Rode my first bike in the 70's. What bikes have better indicator switches, please enlighten me as I am curious. Maybe you could buy one perhaps.

I have a Buggered Left Thumb, in that I have no movement in the last Joint. Its a stick. I can maneuver it about a bit through about 45 deg.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 12-05-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

What bikes have better indicator switches, please enlighten me as I am curious. Maybe you could buy one perhaps.
    The turn signal button on the 2005 Goldwing 1800 I had was a "little bit" easier to operate. Pushing in for cancel was a bit better than on the Spyder, but not much. It's one big advantage over the Spyder, IMO, is the fact the self cancel happens after about 7 seconds, not 30.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

FT, I just thought of something. Taking you at your word about not caring about how the setup looks, here's my suggestion. Take a look at this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8JDQrUquw8. There's a bunch more along the same line on YT. Get a 3 way switch, 4 amber turn signal lamps, a flasher, and wire. Add the turn signal lamps on your mirrors, fenders, or wherever, to function as auxiliary or additional turn signal lamps. Place the switch where you can reach it with a good finger or a foot and voila, you have turn signals you can operate without mucking with, or using, the OEM lights at all.

Another option, there are time delay relays available. With some figuring I could sketch up a circuit that would let you operate add-on signal lamps with just a touch of a button and that would be self cancelling.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

"Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post. The problem with the switch is that my thumb is immobile, so I have to take my hand off the grip to operate the switch with one of my fingers, which I do not consider safe in traffic and as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle"

Well Dang.

" as you all know this is the worst indicator switch ever fitted to a motorcycle"

What a load of crap.....No I dont accept that at all.

That indicator switch looks almost the same as every other indicator switch on every bike I have ridden. I still have time though I guess. Rode my first bike in the 70's. What bikes have better indicator switches, please enlighten me as I am curious. Maybe you could buy one perhaps.

I have a Buggered Left Thumb, in that I have no movement in the last Joint. Its a stick. I can maneuver it about a bit through about 45 deg.
    I absolutely agree with Flier Tuck. I have thought this ever since I started riding my Spyder. The turn signal switch is the worst one I have ever used (and I have used a bunch). Especially for a $30,000 machine. My $4,000 Honda PCX 150 scooter has far superior switch gear. It isn't even close. I am surprised you feel so strongly about this Iso. Each to their own opinion I guess.

I actually designed a new blinker switch button today and printed it out. Because the redesign could not really be any wider I just changed the angle to make an almost flat sided switch to give me much more flat on top for my thumb to push on. It was about 3mm and is now a little over 10mm. I cannot tell you how much better it functions now. My biggest issue was sometimes turning the other side blinker on when I pushed to cancel. It is rock solid now and I cannot foresee ever missing the cancel in the future.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I generally push mine sideways, cept to cancel on modern bikes.
    But its great you have managed to design one.

Any chance of a photo? Possibly print out a bunch and sell them to blokes who desire a bigger one.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jam him on. Tie the legs aroung the bar. Park it in the sun. Job done once it hardens.
    I did something like this with a bart simpson doll on my 88 dodge dakota sport, bart was sitting in between the off road lights on the light bars with an arm around each light.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I generally push mine sideways, cept to cancel on modern bikes.
    But its great you have managed to design one.

Any chance of a photo? Possibly print out a bunch and sell them to blokes who desire a bigger one.
    No. See my post #11 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...der-Cup-holder
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0