Spyder Garage

Default Excessive Wind Buffeting on F3 - what height/width w/shield to fix?

Well... Just purchased a 2018 F3 Limited /5800 miles. Very nice condition overall. When I get up to highway speeds the buffeting is unbearable. I'm 5'8" and wondering what height and width windshield I should have on this beauty. Would prefer going straight to a different windshield and not mess around with extensions etc. Saw a video of the Blue Ridge with a "flip" on top. Whataya think?

F3.jpg

F3 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

I dealt with a company called 7Jurock, they specialize in the recurve at the top windshields.
    They have a selection of standard sizes and will also build one to your specifications.
    The also have very reasonable pricing. 7jurock.com

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjr00 View Post
    Well... Just purchased a 2018 F3 Limited /5800 miles. Very nice condition overall. When I get up to highway speeds the buffeting is unbearable. I'm 5'8" and wondering what height and width windshield I should have on this beauty. Would prefer going straight to a different windshield and not mess around with extensions etc. Saw a video of the Blue Ridge with a "flip" on top. Whataya think?

F3.jpg

F3 2.jpg
    You're holding onto the handlebars too tightly. Keep your body and grip loose and go with the flow. You cannot comfortably fight the wind. You'll get it figured out in a few hundred miles!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Extensions are not for me. Tried some of those on other bikes then binned them, literally. I am 6 - 2 and went for the biggest F4 with winglets. Its Majic. Visor up riding all day no worries.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Isopedella; 11-18-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure you can low cost try a fix. If you remove the upper windscreen fasteners, and place a couple of shim washers between the rubber grommet and windscreen mounting frame, tilting the windscreen a bit more vertical, it may be enough to deflect the airflow over your helmet, reducing buffeting.

As a test, before making the change, at the speed you feel buffeting, slowly lower yourself to find a point where the buffeting is gone. If nothing else, that will provide an approximate amount of needed windscreen height if you buy a replacement.

Myself, I would shim the windscreen first, simple, inexpensive, and very likely could work for most folks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Pretty sure you can low cost try a fix. If you remove the upper windscreen fasteners, and place a couple of shim washers between the rubber grommet and windscreen mounting frame, tilting the windscreen a bit more vertical, it may be enough to deflect the airflow over your helmet, reducing buffeting.

As a test, before making the change, at the speed you feel buffeting, slowly lower yourself to find a point where the buffeting is gone. If nothing else, that will provide an approximate amount of needed windscreen height if you buy a replacement.

Myself, I would shim the windscreen first, simple, inexpensive, and very likely could work for most folks.
    Genius! Will definitely give that a try. Thanks