Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What are these things?

Looking at a 2014 RT. There are some items attached to it that I don't have a clue as to what they are. The panel of rocker switches just to the left of the bag, and the two rotary switches at the lower left. Any clue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Never seen anything like that. You could ask the seller.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Look like controllers for heated grips and seats to me. What has the current owner have to say about them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Look like controllers for heated grips and seats to me. What has the current owner have to say about them?
    Owner passed away in Sept. Wife doesn't have a clue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Looking at a 2014 RT. There are some items attached to it that I don't have a clue as to what they are. The panel of rocker switches just to the left of the bag, and the two rotary switches at the lower left. Any clue?
    Probably for heated clothing, vest, gloves, socks, etc. OR bimini top and ejection seat! "Note, make sure the top is down before using the ejection seat" ....... Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Probably for heated clothing, vest, gloves, socks, etc. OR bimini top and ejection seat! "Note, make sure the top is down before using the ejection seat" ....... Bill
    No problem with the bimini top. My helmet has a spike on top like the old German helmets just for this ocassion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Buy it

The PO certainly made some additions. Did the PO live in FL? Where is the Spyder presently? Do you own it yet because we'd like to see more and better pictures? Right now my assessment is the PO was fairly capable with electrical work.

PS: if you haven't bought it yet, then buy it. It looks well cared for by a knowledgeable owner.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    The PO certainly made some additions. Did the PO live in FL? Where is the Spyder presently? Do you own it yet because we'd like to see more and better pictures? Right now my assessment is the PO was fairly capable with electrical work.

PS if you haven't bought it yet, then buy it. It looks well cared for by a knowledgeable owner.
    The PO was from Utah I believe, so heat controls for the seat and whatever could explain the rotary controls. Still trying to figure out the rocker switches in the center. Looks like an iPad holder in the center of the windscreen. Presently in Sebring, Fl.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It could be anything from controls for heated clothing, to a CB or Ham radio setup.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Different stages of the JATO!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    OK ! I'll Bite, JATO,, Jet Automatic Take OFF?
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Very Interesting

Add this one to the list.
    Just Another Technical Owner.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Jet Assisted Take Off

JATO - A wonderful thing, but really NOT recommended for ANY motor vehicle No matter how long, straight, & level the road ahead may be!

There is this old furphy of a story about a JATO pack, a Chevy/Ford/Nissan, and a loooong straight road somewhere in The Outback/Arizona/Texas/Siberia..... Good story, but things didn't end well for the occupant/s OR for the Chevy/Ford/Nissan!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Fixed sizing... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jet Assisted Take Off

JATO - A wonderful thing, but really NOT recommended for ANY motor vehicle No matter how long, straight, & level the road ahead may be!

There is this old furphy of a story about a JATO pack, a Chevy/Ford/Nissan, and a loooong straight road somewhere in The Outback/Arizona/Texas/Siberia..... Good story, but things didn't end well for the occupant/s OR for the Chevy/Ford/Nissan!
    Hot Damn! I was close on that guess!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Curious, do the labels next to the rotary knobs and the icons on the buttons not tell you anything, how about a closer photo? I think the buttons under the custom mount might just be the equivalents of the 'Chubby Buttons Bluetooth wireless audio controller' https://www.chubbybuttons.io that makes using gloved fingers easier to control touchscreen devices.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Displayed hidden URL iaw Forum policy ;-)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    The PO was from Utah I believe, so heat controls for the seat and whatever could explain the rotary controls. Still trying to figure out the rocker switches in the center. Looks like an iPad holder in the center of the windscreen. Presently in Sebring, Fl.
    Agree on knobs heat -seat/gear. The rocker switches look oem & not entirely sure on RT but (L - R): Parking brake; heated grips; rear shock adjustment; fog lights. Also looks like a cig plug added there in middle. Maybe controlled by one of knobs . If wife (apparent non passenger)knows previous servicing dealer, a tech maybe knows something (long shot, but worth a phone call) aside from having permission to remove panels & track down where cables lead to & have fuses ** Do the knobs go to 11?**

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Pictures please

Even though I have no need for them Chubby Buttons are cool https://www.amazon.com/Chubby-Button...dp/B08MLGZHRV/

Those buttons don't look like Chubby in custom enclosure. I think the device is something like an enduro map reader.

We need more and better pictures!!

Have you bought it yet?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many readers don't see post titles, just thread titles! :-/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

I want to see under the bodywork!

The two knobby dinguses look like homemade remotes for PWM modules. I expect somewhere under the bodywork you will see devices with heat sinks, maybe even a buck up-convertor to get more power into the heated grips.

===================

The PO made his own remotes because the knobs on the commercial versions aren't ergonomic in that location, especially with heavy gloves. So he made ones with big knobs pointing outwards. The knobs control potentiometers which control PWMs feeding the heated gear. The exposed Spyder heated grips are a bit feeble for heavy gloves and only High-Low control. To overcome the feebleness and provide variable control you would put a buck up-convertor (eg https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-5A...dp/B089M79KJC/) in front of the PWM to take advantage of the P=EI equation without overloading the grips 20AWG wires.

I want to see what's under that bodywork!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Moved post title into text - many readers don't see post titles, just thread titles! :-/

Spyder Garage

I find it ironic that with all those electronic additions, he used a watch for a clock. Lol.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WRT watch, he kept the stock fuel and temperature gauges. I agree with him the Spyder console clock can be hard to read. In SoCal I have a photochromic faceshield, 75% non-polarized sunglasses and sunshine most of the time so often I can't even read the digital speedometer. But my white-face GlowShift voltage and pressure gauges (in the fuel and temperature positions) are always easy to read. And I'm replacing the voltage gauge with a white-face GlowShift clock -- which matches that easy to read white-face watch.

The PO who farkled that Spyder was an expert designer and builder. I wish I could have met him to trade ideas, etc.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jet Assisted Take Off

If you've ever seen the famous Navy Precision Jet Demonstration Team, "The Blue Angels" perform, they have a Hercules C-130 cargo plane nicknamed "Fat Albert" that travels with them. They have installed a JATO system on the sides of the fuselage, and part of their flight demonstration has the big 4-engine turboprop rolling down the runway on takeoff, pull up at a steep angle and once the wheels clear the ground, fire the jet engines.

Never seen a such a big-ass cargo plane climb so steep and so fast. It's pretty impressive !!
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 11-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Jet assisted take off

Spyder Garage

Pictures please

Even though I have no need for them Chubby Buttons are cool https://www.amazon.com/Chubby-Button...dp/B08MLGZHRV/

Those buttons don't look like Chubby in custom enclosure. I think the device is something like an enduro map reader.

We need more and better pictures!!

Have you bought it yet?
    Not yet, still looking. We live about 60 miles away with no good route to get there and the PO passed in Sept. Wife not very adept at computers so additional pictures are hard to get.

Spyder Garage

I want to see under the bodywork!

The two knobby dinguses look like homemade remotes for PWM modules. I expect somewhere under the bodywork you will see devices with heat sinks, maybe even a buck up-convertor to get more power into the heated grips.

===================

The PO made his own remotes because the knobs on the commercial versions aren't ergonomic in that location, especially with heavy gloves. So he made ones with big knobs pointing outwards. The knobs control potentiometers which control PWMs feeding the heated gear. The exposed Spyder heated grips are a bit feeble for heavy gloves and only High-Low control. To overcome the feebleness and provide variable control you would put a buck up-convertor (eg https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-5A...dp/B089M79KJC/) in front of the PWM to take advantage of the P=EI equation without overloading the grips 20AWG wires.

I want to see what's under that bodywork!
    Very good analysis. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out a JATO on this C-130.

Someone should offer a JATO system on a Spyder, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !