Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is the difference between the '14, '15, & '16 RT's?

Gave my 2015 Spyder RT to my son several months ago. Didn't realize how much I would miss it. Looking to replace it. I've seen a 2014, 2015, and a 2016 that interest me, all with about the same mileage. Can someone tell me what the difference in them is other than the year and the price?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2022 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

RT, RTS, & RTL models are the same up to MY 2018 when the big change was made to the cluster, which is still wonky 5 years and multiple firmware updates. I had a 2013, and now have a 2017. Exactly the same.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    RT, RTS, & RTL models are the same up to MY 2018 when the big change was made to the cluster, which is still wonky 5 years and multiple firmware updates. I had a 2013, and now have a 2017. Exactly the same.
    So the only difference is $$$. What I thought. Save $...get a 2014 if mileage is the same. Appreciate the confirmation.

Spyder Garage

Yes. What oldguyinTX says. Colors were the only changes from year to year. They figured how to make money by making no basic changes from year to year. Same thing with the 2010 RT through 2013 RT. 2013 was a slightly modified version to accept the "new" 1330 engine which was not ready for 2013...so they went with what they had. We all know that did not work out to good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said, they are the same. But I would like to add that there was a DESS error that seemed to occur more often in the 2014 RT than any other model. I had that error on my 2014 RT, but had it taken care of under warranty at the dealership. But it still would not make me shy away from one.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

There is quite a difference between the 2013 & 2014. After that, it's 2018 before you see a significant change. Then 2020 you get another noticeable change. All things being equal. You'll probably find the biggest bang for the buck in the 2013. It got all kinds of bad press and has the 998. However, with the BRP 'Fixes' installed. And the 998 being no slouch (if you ride it as designed). The 2013 can be a good option. If you want the 1330. Which is probably a better powerplant for most riders. You'll have to go to at least a 2014.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Early 2014s had a couple of problems. The parking brake motor was prone to crapping out. Have a dealer check the VIN to see if it was replaced under warranty. Also, if the CB option was installed there were DESS errors caused by the CB. Not sure how that one was resolved, but it was I'm sure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If you purchase a '15 or '16 get in line for a new front sprocket.
    Last edited by JayBros; 11-18-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes. What oldguyinTX says. Colors were the only changes from year to year. They figured how to make money by making no basic changes from year to year. Same thing with the 2010 RT through 2013 RT. 2013 was a slightly modified version to accept the "new" 1330 engine which was not ready for 2013...so they went with what they had. We all know that did not work out to good.
    Boy is that an understatement

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Colors were the only changes from year to year. They figured how to make money by making no basic changes from year to year.
    They learned well from automobile companies! It's been upwards of 50+ years since cars changed significantly each model year.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2014 to a 2020. I love my 2020, except for the terrible cluster a BRP connect - for that reason I would prefer the older cluster design. In the end, though, I wouldn't make a decision just based on that. Perhaps there are have been some minor changes in the later years to address issues, so newer may be slightly better. I would also think re-sale is better newer, even without any real differences.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    As others have said, they are the same. But I would like to add that there was a DESS error that seemed to occur more often in the 2014 RT than any other model. I had that error on my 2014 RT, but had it taken care of under warranty at the dealership. But it still would not make me shy away from one.
    Based on my experience, I'd avoid a 2014. The 2014s had a lot of teething problems. DAMHIKT.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Gave my 2015 Spyder RT to my son several months ago. Didn't realize how much I would miss it. Looking to replace it. I've seen a 2014, 2015, and a 2016 that interest me, all with about the same mileage. Can someone tell me what the difference in them is other than the year and the price?
    Just curious if you made any progress on your Spyder.
    Several good used Spyders on this Forum.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I would think the newest year you could afford, If they remained unchanged all those years, you would think the later ones would have most of the bugs and refinements worked out and fixed/updated by then. Just my thoughts.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Just curious if you made any progress on your Spyder.
    Several good used Spyders on this Forum.

Stay Healthy. ....
    I've contacted a couple close by trying to get information. Don't want to go out of the area and have to arrange shipping, etc. No response. I was in my own business for 29 years and the number one, absolute directive was that if we get a message, you return the call ASAP. Even if I am selling something and it is sold and someone then inquires, I respond and thank them for their interest. They might be interested in the next thing I am trying to sell.

Right now, I am interested in three, both 2014 and 2015. None have responded so far. So, who knows.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer fee?

I've contacted a couple close by trying to get information. Don't want to go out of the area and have to arrange shipping, etc. No response. I was in my own business for 29 years and the number one, absolute directive was that if we get a message, you return the call ASAP. Even if I am selling something and it is sold and someone then inquires, I respond and thank them for their interest. They might be interested in the next thing I am trying to sell.

Right now, I am interested in three, both 2014 and 2015. None have responded so far. So, who knows.
    Just found a beautiful 2015 close by. Good asking price. Then, I found out there is a $799.00 "dealer fee." To me, that is a bait and switch. Are there other costs involved to the dealer? I'm sure. I had a very successful business for 29 years and had these costs. I called them "overhead", and these costs were included in the selling price which also included "profit" (that dirty word to some). If I advertised something for $1.00, I didn't add another $ when someone wanted to buy it. I asked what the dealer fee covers. We'll see.

Spyder Garage

Just found a beautiful 2015 close by. Good asking price. Then, I found out there is a $799.00 "dealer fee." To me, that is a bait and switch. Are there other costs involved to the dealer? I'm sure. I had a very successful business for 29 years and had these costs. I called them "overhead", and these costs were included in the selling price which also included "profit" (that dirty word to some). If I advertised something for $1.00, I didn't add another $ when someone wanted to buy it. I asked what the dealer fee covers. We'll see.
    Just heard from the dealer and the OTD price is dependent on the ZIP code where I live (calculating the sales tax?). ?????

Spyder Garage

A dealer fee on a 2015 Spyder is a crock of you know what!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just heard from the dealer and the OTD price is dependent on the ZIP code where I live (calculating the sales tax?). ?????
    Sounds to me that the dealer is taking care of transfer of registration to your name and collecting the sales tax that usually has to be paid at that time. Sounds legit to me, but I'm not sure........ Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Sounds to me that the dealer is taking care of transfer of registration to your name and collecting the sales tax that usually has to be paid at that time. Sounds legit to me, but I'm not sure........ Bill
    You are correct. And I understand that. It is the other $1815.09 in BS fees (including $399.00 for a battery) that they added on top of that. I guess I won't be getting this Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are correct. And I understand that. It is the other $1815.09 in BS fees (including $399.00 for a battery) that they added on top of that. I guess I won't be getting this Spyder.
    Sorry, Didn't know about ALL THAT extra crap, Guess its time to look elsewhere!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Sorry, Didn't know about ALL THAT extra crap, Guess its time to look elsewhere!
    Tis a shame. The Spyder was absolutely beautiful.

Spyder Garage

Custom 2017 Spyder F3 Limited - 15614 miles, might be interested in this one, posted FS on the forum yesterday.

Al in Kazoo

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ed-15614-miles
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2022 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added link ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Based on my experience, I'd avoid a 2014. The 2014s had a lot of teething problems. DAMHIKT.
    Not a single issue with my 2014 with 23,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Finally found one. Watched it for a week. Looked good. All of a sudden, the price went UP $1000.00. Let's see. No interest at this price, so, let's raise it $1000.00. I must have missed that class when getting my MBA.