Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sprocket Final Fix Update from Shawn Smoak

Shawn Smoak put out a video on the final fix for the Sypder sprocket issue. Below is a link to the video. The relevent content begins at 7:11 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUizbX85hR4
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default New sprocket

Hey Greg, I saw this video myself this morning. Was going to post it but you beat me to it. Lol
    He did say this was the final sprocket needed for the recall. In the video you can see it is grey
    not white or black. I will try to post a screenshot I took from the video.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Thats cool! I haven’t seen the new sprocket. Looks like a stamped aluminum flange, separate gear pulled together with a pressed inner sprocket. Good idea, Therefore, if the inner sprocket was to fail again, it could be pressed out and new one inserted. No need for an entire new sprocket. Very nice design unless the pressed inner part fails which could be fixed very quickly with a pin through the inner press and shaft. The belt would simply run right over it with no problem. I like that design.

Edited: after watching the video it looks solid instead of pressed. Will have to see in person I guess. Picture is deceiving.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 11-17-2022 at 02:06 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the "grey" pulley being the final fix, I wonder does that mean that the later model bikes that might have a white pulley need to be replaced? I feel like it is just a mater of time before we see failures in the 2020 and up bikes.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    With the "grey" pulley being the final fix, I wonder does that mean that the later model bikes that might have a white pulley need to be replaced? I feel like it is just a mater of time before we see failures in the 2020 and up bikes.
    I thought the white sprocket was the interim fix. If that's the case I'm guessing it will need to be repleased with the gray one. I did notice in the video the gray one was stamped with 07/22 while the black one was 2018.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Is there an expiration date on this recall?? It's getting close onto winter road time here and I would have a 75 mile (one way) ride to my dealership.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Is there an expiration date on this recall?? It's getting close onto winter road time here and I would have a 75 mile (one way) ride to my dealership.
    Recalls don't expire. Once all units have the fix, NHTSA will close the recall.

And, I did notice that this sprocket is made in the USA, and I'd be willing to bet that it is a third party vendor. So my question is, what is the supply chain issue and/or the material shortage issue (which BRP claims there is) here? A company here in the US can't get the material to make these sprockets? Are they made from some mystery material that they can only get from Russia? The part is not coming from overseas, and I would think that whatever company is making them HERE would be cranking them out in pretty substantial numbers. I also wonder why BRP is claiming that the cyberattack on their systems is slowing this down as well. Seems to me that there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 11-17-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully a good repair

...A very interesting video on the 'final fix'.
    Nothing yet from my Local Spyder Dealer.
    Maybe January 2023.

I am on the waiting list for the repair.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Recalls don't expire. Once all units have the fix, NHTSA will close the recall.

And, I did notice that this sprocket is made in the USA, and I'd be willing to bet that it is a third party vendor. So my question is, what is the supply chain issue and/or the material shortage issue (which BRP claims there is) here? A company here in the US can't get the material to make these sprockets? Are they made from some mystery material that they can only get from Russia? The part is not coming from overseas, and I would think that whatever company is making them HERE would be cranking them out in pretty substantial numbers. I also wonder why BRP is claiming that the cyberattack on their systems is slowing this down as well. Seems to me that there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here.
    You would win that bet because most of the parts on your Spyder or Ford or Toyota or whatever are made by third party vendors. Vehicle factories these days are no more than assembly points for the parts that are made and shipped to them by third party vendors. It's called outsourcing and it started years ago. These third party vendors bid on the jobs and the company goes for the lowest bidders. Sometimes quality suffers and that has become a bigger issue since outsourcing started. It's all about the money. Keeps prices down for the customer and increase profits for the stockholders. The employee shortage isn't just a story for the evening news, it is a real issue. Hard to move parts when there are no drivers, hard to get parts made when your workforce is down by who know what percentage. EVERYTHING is controlled by computers these days so an attack on a system does have serious and often long lasting Consequences. Things are screwed up and it isn't any one person or companies fault. Unfortunately we as consumers get to feel the pinch.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I thought the white sprocket was the interim fix. If that's the case I'm guessing it will need to be repleased with the gray one. I did notice in the video the gray one was stamped with 07/22 while the black one was 2018.
    The white sprocket was supposed to eliminate the whining noise on 2020+ models. I don't understand how the whining noise started at this model year???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 05:59 PM. Reason: winning - whining ;-) I'm guessing bloody autocorrect! :-/
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Based on the video, the fix will be bonding the pulleys to the shaft with Loctite.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    He did say this was the final sprocket needed for the recall. In the video you can see it is grey
    not white or black. I will try to post a screenshot I took from the video.
    See the part # on the new sprocket that is silver in color (705503244) dated 7/22, that is the same # that I have on a brand new White sprocket dated 10/20
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 11-17-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    See the part # on the new sprocket that is silver in color (705503244) dated 7/22, that is the same # that I have on a brand new White sprocket dated 10/20
    T.P.
    AND, that part number does not show up on the BRP parts fiche. Just the old one. So, which is right?
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

So the washer is a sort of sacrificial item is it if the loctite fails
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    So the washer is a sort of sacrificial item is it if the loctite fails
    My take on this is that the washer is there to protect the seal on the splined shaft when you have to heat the pulley to loosen the loctite to remove the pulley in the future when this fix also fails. I believe a shaft drive would eliminate the problem. .......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak put out a video on the final fix for the Sypder sprocket issue. Below is a link to the video. The relevent content begins at 7:11 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUizbX85hR4
    If anyone finds the TSB in print, please post. For the DIY’s out there.
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 11-18-2022 at 08:51 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I got my new letter from BRP yesterday for the final fix . Lots of snow on the ground , fix can wait till summer .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Shaft drive is not the cure all some think it it is. I have been riding BMW's since the mid seventies. They require periodic spline lubes on transmission and rear drive or they will fail.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1989hawk View Post
    Shaft drive is not the cure all some think it it is. I have been riding BMW's since the mid seventies. They require periodic spline lubes on transmission and rear drive or they will fail.
    This recall BRP is doing is no different than BMW 4 years ago. It just took longer to get enacted. BMW had to recall the entire fleet of certain models due to the direct shaft drive problem. I have a buddy who was really nervous. They literally took the entire bike apart to do the recall. BRP is minimal assembly. The BMW was all around the direct shaft system. So direct or belt both have their problems. I believe in lat 80’s, Honda had to do it with their shadow and nighthawk, or atleast I remember my stator and drive system was recalled back then.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Why do people like this guy's videos so much? I find it painful to sit through his videos for the few scraps of knowledge he might toss in somewhere. He has a ton of subscribers and what seems like a cult like following - so clearly people love him/his videos - so am I the only one who doesn't get it or actually get annoyed by them?
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Why do people like this guy's videos so much? I find it painful to sit through his videos for the few scraps of knowledge he might toss in somewhere. He has a ton of subscribers and what seems like a cult like following - so clearly people love him/his videos - so am I the only one who doesn't get it or actually get annoyed by them?
    I usually skip past the opening minutes and start watching from when he arrives at work to see what he's going to cover. I'm only interested in the Spyder/Ryker video topics, so as soon as I see he's going to be addressing 2 wheeled motorcycles I move on.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I had the white sprocket put on last summer and it immediately stopped the whining. I'm not sure I have to have it replaced with yet another sprocket.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    I agree. He really does just ramble around a lot. I lost track of how many times he picked up those sprockets and fumbled around with then. Just get to the point. A 25 minute could be like 9 minutes.

Spyder Garage

Default sprocket

He had in his hand the only one to fail , yet i see many on this forum with problems .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    My take on this is that the washer is there to protect the seal on the splined shaft when you have to heat the pulley to loosen the loctite to remove the pulley in the future when this fix also fails. I believe a shaft drive would eliminate the problem. .......Bill
    Perhaps also to provide more space on the outer flange to keep the belt from rubbing...depending on how it is adjusted.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)