Spyder Garage

Default DREAD! Another Tire Thread! Only because it's good information.

It is so rare that I find head-to-head testing of tires that I am interested in. Including tires that others have recommended. I'm cheap. But there are areas where I don't cheap out. And I won't ever cheap out for a customer. Cheap on my ride is one thing. Cheap on someone else's ride, that's a whole nother ballgame. Finding a great product for a lower price. I'm all about it. But I will also pay up to get what I need. Especially in critical situations like tires. Tires are ever changing. And a subject worth spending some time on.

Wet traction is extremely important on the Spyder/Ryker. It's just the nature of the beast. Light, fast, good HP to weight ratio. Plus add in a little crazy, at times. Our rides need good traction in all conditions.

Anyway. Here is a Tire Rack test video (By the way, I love these guys. No hype. Just the Facts Mam approach. My kind of people). Click on the link below and then scroll down to the video. Here is what you will see.

General AltiMAX RT43, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Laufenn G FIT AS and RIKEN Raptor HR for a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive. (The General Altimax RT45 is at least as good as the 43)

Hope this helps.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...fFAXmZE_HLvVIg

If you're looking for a car tire. This is very good information.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-17-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron for a tire thread with some good information.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is so rare that I find head-to-head testing of tires that I am interested in. Including tires that others have recommended. I'm cheap. But there are areas where I don't cheap out. And I won't ever cheap out for a customer. Cheap on my ride is one thing. Cheap on someone else's ride, that's a whole nother ballgame. Finding a great product for a lower price. I'm all about it. But I will also pay up to get what I need. Especially in critical situations like tires. Tires are ever changing. And a subject worth spending some time on.

Wet traction is extremely important on the Spyder/Ryker. It's just the nature of the beast. Light, fast, good HP to weight ratio. Plus add in a little crazy, at times. Our rides need good traction in all conditions.

Anyway. Here is a Tire Rack test video (By the way, I love these guys. No hype. Just the Facts Mam approach. My kind of people). Click on the link below and then scroll down to the video. Here is what you will see.

General AltiMAX RT43, Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, Laufenn G FIT AS and RIKEN Raptor HR for a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive. (The General Altimax RT45 is at least as good as the 43)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the LINK ..... with you about Tire Rack testing, yes it's not with a Spyder / Ryker, however the tires don't substantially change just because they are on a lighter veh.. Both Peter and I have been recommending various Auto tires for over a decade now .... If you use the correct PSI in them you will get approx. the same performance as the testing that's done on cars. I started recommending the General Altimax RT43 ( now RT 45 ) for about 8 years, it's still a top performer. I discovered that RIKEN about 5 months ago. I bought one and have it on my 14 RT. I love it. ... One of the negatives stated in the report is : they felt it suffered from " dis-connected on-center steering feel " well this RIKEN can only be used for the Rear wheel. So it actually doesn't apply to the over-all performance as it applies to Spyders ..... During my testing I was happy with it's wet road manners. .... what sealed the deal for me was the price, and tire rack ships for free ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

True, not tested on a Spyder or Ryker. My guess is that the results would be relatively the same across the spread. Tires that did better in that test could reasonably be trusted to do better on the Spyder/Ryker. Though with different G-Forces and stopping distances.

Spyder Garage

Hope this helps.

Altimax doesn't show the OEM size for the Spyder, front or rear. What other sizes would fit?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Altimax doesn't show the OEM size for the Spyder, front or rear. What other sizes would fit?
    215/60-15 or 205/60-15 or 205/65-15 ....these sizes will help to correct the Kenda tire odometer error ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    215/60-15 or 205/60-15 or 205/65-15 ....these sizes will help to correct the Kenda tire odometer error ..... Mike
    Would all of these fit either front or back?

Spyder Garage

Hope this helps.

Actually their test video of the RT45 shows some serious issues on the wet track. Maybe General changed the compound?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=16TR5AMRT45
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

165/60-15 for the front, there may be others also. I have also heard of people using a 175/55-15 I believe.

Also check out this thread for size info on members rydes.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-Please-*****
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 11-17-2022 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added to post.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Well you referred to the Altimax tire, which is used for the rear. So I gave you info for REAR tires ..... Mike .... To the best of my knowledge I'm the only person to use one on the Front of my 14 RT ( and was great - however it required a few modifications )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Actually their test video of the RT45 shows some serious issues on the wet track. Maybe General changed the compound?

Interesting take on this tire ...... What was said in the video certainly didn't match the line graphs they showed..... verify for yourself folks ..... JMHO .... How this tire STEERS isn't relative - UNLESS your Spyder has REAR wheel steering , I don't think it does ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-17-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting take on this tire ...... What was said in the video certainly didn't match the line graphs they showed..... verify for yourself folks ..... JMHO .... How this tire STEERS isn't relative - UNLESS your Spyder has REAR wheel steering , I don't think it does ..... Mike
    Only when I hit the throttle hard coming out of a tight corner
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post

You can get the Vredestein HiTRAC, (the tire that won this 4 tire comparison) in a 205/65r15 which will fit the back of the Spyder. You lose about 3/4" of width from the OEM. But many are running this size tire in the rear and are happy with it. It is about 1.25" taller. Which will help your speedometer accuracy.

Information I've read and have also talked to the people at Tire Rack is that the 43 and 45 are about the same in all aspects except that the 45 is slightly better in dry and wet than the 43 and is supposed to get a bit better mileage. The improved mileage is extrapolated from the 'Temperature' rating which is a 'B' on the 43 and and 'A' on the 45. This is a measure of how well the tire resists heat buildup and how efficient it sheds that heat. Less heat. longer life. I don't think this will be as big a deal on our light Spyders as it would be on a heavier car.

There was a change in the tread pattern on the 45 which is what they attribute the slight improvement in handling and traction to. But the compound was unchanged.

Head-to-head with the tires that fit our Spyder. I have not found a tire that rates better than the Altimax in the 215/60r15 size.

The Altimax does not come in sizes for the front. We have been installing the Vredistein Quatrac in sizes 165/60r15 and 175/55r15 for the front. Again, against other tires that fit, we have not found a better tire than the Vredestein Quatrac. This is not to say other tires are not a viable option. But some vendors are selling left field, no name tires. They are untested and I fear, not very good at all. But they are cheap and they fit. Customers trust us to do right by them. It is important that we earn, and keep that trust.

Tires are an interesting study. And, as I said, always changing. Mostly for the better. So, what's best today may change tomorrow. That's why I'm always looking.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-18-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FYI, there are VERY FEW car tires sold in the US that are made in the Spyder OEM size. Pretty much everyone uses the sizes mentioned above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope this helps.

I really wish Michelin made their Cross Climates in our size. If they did, I'd have them on all 3 corners once my OEM tires are worn ....

Besides Tire Rack, I also like to watch video clips from Tyre Reviews on YouTube. They do some intensive reviews on popular tires as well.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Need a refresher on reading tire numbers. What number indicates the width and the height of a tire. Such as a 215/60R 15
    Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Need a refresher on reading tire numbers. What number indicates the width and the height of a tire. Such as a 215/60R 15
    Thanks
    With a 215/60R15, the 215 is the Nominal width in mms; the 60 is the Nominal sidewall height expressed as a Percentage of the width in mms (ie, 60% of 215 mms, which is 129 mm); the R means the tire is a Radial tire; and the 15 is the rim diameter in inches.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Here are some visual tire size comparisons. These are industry standards which not every tire will meet. In other words. Depending on the individual tire. It may be a bit wider, slimmer, taller or shorter than these dimensions. Though it should not be by much.

This Tire Size Comparison chart has been posted before. It is a very handy tool when shopping tires for just about anything.
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Attached Images Attached Images