Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

There is an app, for android, called kurviger, It makes routes for motorcycles only, takes you to your destination via backroads, has provided me with some streets I would normally would have driven by...
    At first a little challenging to set up, but when you get the hang of it, it will calculate routes you've never seen in your own neighbourhood..

I especially love the roundtrip option: you set an amount of kilometers you want to drive; set a direction, like north, south, east, or west; and the app will calculate a route with waypoints, etc, etc. Best part, with a data app on your android phone, it also shows places where you can fuel-up and get somthing to eat.

But the OP's question was, "Do I need a GPS?" No, but it's sure handy...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: ' 's & caps %-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Then there is the issue of Privacy. I have seen that Waze and others use your location data and routes to study you and market to you, and even sell to to others. You are giving them this info for free. I believe with a receiving only GPS unit, this information is not provided to anyone. Sorry about the tinfoil hat comment.

Spyder Garage

I prefer having a GPS rather than using my phone for that purpose, not the least of which is I find the "temptation" to check other crap (texts especially) while riding to be a distraction, even though I successfully avoid doing so. Phone goes in the frunk pugged in to charge, music via bluetooth, and the Garmin 390 I picked up on clearence for $200 sits nicely in the centre of my steering, where I can glance at what is coming up, much like as with my mirrors, and otherwise stare where I am actually going. Just my 2 cents (which because Canada no longer has cents in circulation, rounds off to zero)!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Northofthesix View Post
    I prefer having a GPS rather than using my phone for that purpose, not the least of which is I find the "temptation" to check other crap (texts especially) while riding to be a distraction, even though I successfully avoid doing so. Phone goes in the frunk pugged in to charge, music via bluetooth, and the Garmin 390 I picked up on clearence for $200 sits nicely in the centre of my steering, where I can glance at what is coming up, much like as with my mirrors, and otherwise stare where I am actually going. Just my 2 cents (which because Canada no longer has cents in circulation, rounds off to zero)!!

While riding and using a phone for GPS, there is no way to text or do anything else but ride. If your headset is paired to the phone you can get music and receive phone calls (or decline) Using the phone doesn't make you use any other feature unless you want to.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

cell phones have a unique feature that disable calls/text while driving/riding.... Y'all should try it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m laughing at all the excuses for spending hundreds more $$$ on a stand-alone GPS!

GPS apps on the phone don’t call it “offline capable” for nothing! TomTom, Genius Maps and Sygic plus other GPS apps are “offline capable”! Which means they work WITHOUT cell service or WiFi!!!

The newest smartphone have a large enough screen that makes it very easy to see. In fact it’s just as easy as a Garmin! With either Genius or Sygic I can create CUSTOM routes RIGHT ON THE PHONE! I don’t need to haul around a laptop!

Google maps and Waze monitor where you go and use your location data to market and sell your personal information to third party vendors so they can sell you stuff. You’re giving your info away for free! They also require cell service for map data otherwise it’s not capable of navigating you anywhere. Google maps downloads maps for the route but if you cancel the route or the phone gets shut off, you’re lost!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldAge View Post
    I have a GPS but still get great service from my Manual Acquisition Positioning System.
    I call that my ANALOG GPS.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I call that my ANALOG GPS.

Stopping by the welcome center to get 2 state maps, one to mark all over and the other to use. Nah, never done that........
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Stopping by the welcome center to get 2 state maps, one to mark all over and the other to use. Nah, never done that........
    I STILL CARRY paper maps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I’m laughing at all the excuses for spending hundreds more $$$ on a stand-alone GPS!

GPS apps on the phone don’t call it “offline capable” for nothing! TomTom, Genius Maps and Sygic plus other GPS apps are “offline capable”! Which means they work WITHOUT cell service or WiFi!!!

The newest smartphone have a large enough screen that makes it very easy to see. In fact it’s just as easy as a Garmin! With either Genius or Sygic I can create CUSTOM routes RIGHT ON THE PHONE! I don’t need to haul around a laptop!

Google maps and Waze monitor where you go and use your location data to market and sell your personal information to third party vendors so they can sell you stuff. You’re giving your info away for free! They also require cell service for map data otherwise it’s not capable of navigating you anywhere. Google maps downloads maps for the route but if you cancel the route or the phone gets shut off, you’re lost!
    Yes, I must admit that if I had the iPhone 14 plus, running the TomTom or Sygic app before I purchased the XT, the 14 plus would be the way I would be running now, Flamewinger, freeing up an accessory port, and the worry of an extra piece of gear. The only concern would be the risk of vibration damaging the stabilisation feature on the iPhone, and I’m sure that will be addressed shortly. It’s only a matter of time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    I STILL CARRY paper maps
    Don’t you find that the wind blows the paper maps off your lap and into your face shield, making it difficult to see where you are going, Slice?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Don’t you find that the wind blows the paper maps off your lap and into your face shield, making it difficult to see where you are going, Slice?

Pete
    NAN just tape em to the inside of the windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I must admit that if I had the iPhone 14 plus, running the TomTom or Sygic app before I purchased the XT, the 14 plus would be the way I would be running now, Flamewinger, freeing up an accessory port, and the worry of an extra piece of gear. The only concern would be the risk of vibration damaging the stabilisation feature on the iPhone, and I’m sure that will be addressed shortly. It’s only a matter of time.

Pete
    If I had an earlier Spyder Model I would have my phone mounted to the dash or windshield. As it is, I have the newer model with BRP Go and I mount the phone on top of the dash because it gets too hot in the glovebox. I’ve been using the iPhone for GPS for 14+ years on my Goldwings and Spyders. Never mounted to the bars. I’ve had Garmin and TomTom for GPS and now use Genius maps or Sygic as they work very well in the dash. Love the joystick as it makes it so easy to manipulate what I want to see or do.

B6EF51BE-FBBF-49A9-8BB7-9423930224C1.jpg
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-22-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have my Garmin mounted overhanging the front edge of the dash top on my 19 RTL using a mount like the one below along with Ram Ball's and an extension arm. The end result is a unit that is nearly a heads up, as I can see my route and speed within my line of sight. As for GPS versus phone...I live in Florida and constantly had weather resistance, heat issues and brightness problems with my Pixel not present with my Zumo. So for me, the opting for a stand alone GPS was worth the expenditure for my road trip routing, and for around town, the high mounted speedo readout on it helps me keep my eyes where they need to be. Bottom line is that it's all up to personal preference.

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=51
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Do you really need a GPS?

Check this out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEZK_qmd_g

It highlights some of the reasons why, and some of the issues that go hand in hand with just relying on your phone - and it's a bit 'tongue in cheek' funny too.... Well, I certainly thought it was!

But that aside, it's got lots of very valid reasons for having & using a GPS, even if you don't use it all the time, and even if you do use your phone for a lot of other things.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

It's all a personal choice, I live in an area out west with too many dead spots, like within 20 miles of my home going east for over 100 miles, and if I'm heading into the Nevada outback, even further. So I like a GPS, have also been all over Canada, Mexico and Alaska where cell service is nada! I like using Base Camp where I have some 100 waypoints stored of favorite eats, hotels, friends, ect. Download to the unit the ones needed at the time. Some trips are 5-7000 miles on smaller secondary roads that I route out in advance. I started off with Street Pilots in the 90's, 276, 376, 660, currently using a 595 and XT, yeah i'm a GPS whore. Also always carry maps too. On the Spyder, the phone is on the bar mounts connected to the USB port for music thru the bikes speakers. Guess it's whatever floats your boat

Spyder Garage

as the author of this thread i've been meaning to revisit for a week now. i do believe my wife have bought me a Gamin for Christmas, i will return it and buy some much needed large magnum pistol primers.

excellent video BTW

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I prefer a GPS unit over the phone. I can get lost in a bag so something is needed.

Spyder Garage

My spYder is a 2022 RTL petrol blue.../so on a recent 5 day trip i solely used my iphone GPS (google maps) and it worked just perfect took me wherever i needed to be, that being said do i really need to spend $300-500 on a GPS.
    i've even plotted route on google maps sent them to my phone and BOOM away we go phone even works with gloves.
    i've also heard that the spYder usb in the glove box does not have enough ''juice'' to keep the iphone powered, well i was at 10% battery running google maps my siriusxm app and by the time i stopped for food and fuel 2 hours later i was at 100% battery, so to those of you who say it won't charge, check you cables and or your phone socket for crap built up.

so back on topic $300-500 buys a lot of goodies. primary muffler delete/ dynamic lighting/ light bar/ blaster horn/ pedal commander ect ect ect.

what say you all....BTY i have also notice when traffic slows google will give you alternate routes... just like a GPS.

thanks SLICE
    Just my personal opinion based on experience with the Garmin Zumo 590(?). Not really sure what designation it is as we have not used the worthless POS in about 3 years. It came with the Spyder supposedly programmed for good riding routes. HA! What a freaking joke it and Garmin Base Camp are! Stick with your phone and spend your money on farkles for the Spyder -- or for your wife -- whichever has higher priority for you. I tried using the darn thing on a six-day trip and it continually got us lost even though my riding partner was a computer technician who said at the end of that trip the Gramin and Base Camp had to be the most user-UNFRIENDLY device and software he had ever seen. As for me, I'll stick with paper maps and take my leisurely time to stop and check them occasionally completely eliminating the distraction of having to look at a GPS screen or listen to the annoying voice tell me turn in 40-30-20-10 yards that may or may not be the proper directions.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

as the author of this thread i've been meaning to revisit for a week now. i do believe my wife have bought me a Gamin for Christmas, i will return it and buy some much needed large magnum pistol primers.
    excellent video BTW
    Slice, do you realise that for $30 usd per year, you can buy the Sygic gps app for your iPhone 14, with ongoing map updates etc, running off satellite so there is no phone signal required, with a large display (as large as the Garmin XT), and just about ALL of its features? Compared to around $500 usd outlay for the XT? If I had my IPhone 14 before I bought the XT, I would not have bought the XT.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    I prefer a GPS unit over the phone. I can get lost in a bag so something is needed.
    Saluda, see my response to Slice.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Do you really need a GPS?

It highlights some of the reasons why, and some of the issues that go hand in hand with just relying on your phone - and it's a bit 'tongue in cheek' funny too.... Well, I certainly thought it was!

But that aside, it's got lots of very valid reasons for having & using a GPS, even if you don't use it all the time, and even if you do use your phone for a lot of other things.
    It’s a great video, Peter, but nearly all the features he refers to are available on a smart phone with a $60Aussie per year genuine GPS app like Sygic or TomTom (as opposed to $600aussie to purchase the XT, + mount costs). The app works off the satellite system, not mobile towers……receives constant map/software updates..…is all contained in one unit……and the size and brilliance of current phone screens provide very easy, XT size, viewing.

……another plus of buying Sygic is that, as BRP refine BRP Go (it’s working fairly reliably now…..but still needs improvement), you have the alternative of throwing your phone in the glovebox on the later models and driving music, gps, weather, FOBO etc through the joystick, if you so desire.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Yeah Pete, but I think he highlights the BIG & important differences - with most real GPS units, for all those travelling within the USA, there's no need to download the maps & attractions, gas station data, maybe even airfield/traffic data & other useful stuff etc for wherever/whatever region you're going to visit before you go, cos they're ALL there, ALL the time, ALREADY! Similarly for those travelling in Oz, if you have an Oz spec GPS (and not just one of those dinky little dash mounted street finder thingies! ) then the whole of the Country is covered (& then some, mine includes most if not all of the Sthn Hemisphere Asia Pacific Region - I just haven't checked it all to be sure! ) it's ALL there, ALL the time ALREADY! Sure, if I'm heading for Europe, Africa, North &/or South America, I might hafta take the latest SIM for that hemisphere/quadrant, but usually I simply do a once a year upgrade to keep all the maps & data up to date, and I sometimes update more often if I'm going to be visiting & crawling the lesser known backstreets of Sydney or Port Moresby, etc, &/or going somewhere more obscure just to be sure to be sure; but basically, it's a case of 'pick up the unit & go' with everything I want built in. Oh, and mine uses a variety of easily found power supplies & it's very accurate too, far more so than any phone I've ever seen/used!

My passive stand-alone GPS doesn't rely on requesting &/or getting updates from satellites, it just reads whatever time signals it can get from as many satellites as it can get a signal from at the moment (I think it can run with about 18 satellites at any given moment... does any phone do that?? I truly don't know how many GPS receivers those phones have? ) And it doesn't necessarily keep trying to contact a ground station or Cell Tower whenever/wherever it finds one to update anything or tell everyone where I am, it's completely passive unless I tell it otherwise (unlike any phone I know of that's turned on! ) so it just does what I ask of it when I ask it. Plus, it's got all my driving music on it & then some (Child Bride... ); I get the News & Weather if I ask for it; it's got a Safety Camera recording feature; add the sensors & it's got TPMS that I can program for my preferred pressure and temperature ranges (dunno whether it'll interface with FOBO, cos I don't use any of that lo tech stuff! ) it still fits in a pocket (albeit a fairly big one! ) & it goes with me wherever I go. And as the vid notes, not that this is really all that likely, but if the brown smelly stuff hits the fan & takes out a bunch of cell towers, or even if said 'hits the fan' incident takes out ALL the cell towers in the world, unless someone was really, REALLY intent on wiping out humanity & all sign of their presence, then I STILL stand a much better chance of getting a good fix to tell me where I am for something like the next 10 years - and no matter WHAT phone you've got, it won't do that....

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Slice, do you realise that for $30 usd per year, you can buy the Sygic gps app for your iPhone 14, with ongoing map updates etc, running off satellite so there is no phone signal required, with a large display (as large as the Garmin XT), and just about ALL of its features? Compared to around $500 usd outlay for the XT? If I had my IPhone 14 before I bought the XT, I would not have bought the XT.

Pete
    i've thought about getting that app, but so far googly maps has worked just fine..........so far

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah Pete, but I think he highlights the BIG & important differences - with most real GPS units, for all those travelling within the USA, there's no need to download the maps & attractions, gas station data, maybe even airfield/traffic data & other useful stuff etc for wherever/whatever region you're going to visit before you go, cos they're ALL there, ALL the time, ALREADY! Similarly for those travelling in Oz, if you have an Oz spec GPS (and not just one of those dinky little dash mounted street finder thingies! ) then the whole of the Country is covered (& then some, mine includes most if not all of the Sthn Hemisphere Asia Pacific Region - I just haven't checked it all to be sure! ) it's ALL there, ALL the time ALREADY! Sure, if I'm heading for Europe, Africa, North &/or South America, I might hafta take the latest SIM for that hemisphere/quadrant, but usually I simply do a once a year upgrade to keep all the maps & data up to date, and I sometimes update more often if I'm going to be visiting & crawling the lesser known backstreets of Sydney or Port Moresby, etc, &/or going somewhere more obscure just to be sure to be sure; but basically, it's a case of 'pick up the unit & go' with everything I want built in. Oh, and mine uses a variety of easily found power supplies & it's very accurate too, far more so than any phone I've ever seen/used!

My passive stand-alone GPS doesn't rely on requesting &/or getting updates from satellites, it just reads whatever time signals it can get from as many satellites as it can get a signal from at the moment (I think it can run with about 18 satellites at any given moment... does any phone do that?? I truly don't know how many GPS receivers those phones have? ) And it doesn't necessarily keep trying to contact a ground station or Cell Tower whenever/wherever it finds one to update anything or tell everyone where I am, it's completely passive unless I tell it otherwise (unlike any phone I know of that's turned on! ) so it just does what I ask of it when I ask it. Plus, it's got all my driving music on it & then some (Child Bride... ); I get the News & Weather if I ask for it; it's got a Safety Camera recording feature; add the sensors & it's got TPMS that I can program for my preferred pressure and temperature ranges (dunno whether it'll interface with FOBO, cos I don't use any of that lo tech stuff! ) it still fits in a pocket (albeit a fairly big one! ) & it goes with me wherever I go. And as the vid notes, not that this is really all that likely, but if the brown smelly stuff hits the fan & takes out a bunch of cell towers, or even if said 'hits the fan' incident takes out ALL the cell towers in the world, unless someone was really, REALLY intent on wiping out humanity & all sign of their presence, then I STILL stand a much better chance of getting a good fix to tell me where I am for something like the next 10 years - and no matter WHAT phone you've got, it won't do that....

Just Sayin'
    if we get hit by and EMP we best know how to use a paper map and analog compass,