Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Repair available? Not the 'Interim Fix'!

Good Evening Everyone,

I was talking to Ride Sports NW, where I bought my Spyder. Service Department informed me that they had the new front sprockets out as the replacements for the recall notice. These are supposed to be "the fix" not the interim fix that they were doing previously. I have a 2018 RTL. You may want to call your local dealer to confirm, but again, according to this gent, this is the replacement unit for that problem. They are not stocking this, they have to call and order the part. Anyway, passing along. Like to hear from some of you if that is ringing true from some of your local shops. Thank you.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lvmyspyder View Post
    Good Evening Everyone,

I was talking to Ride Sports NW, where I bought my Spyder. Service Department informed me that they had the new front sprockets out as the replacements for the recall notice. These are supposed to be "the fix" not the interim fix that they were doing previously. I have a 2018 RTL. You may want to call your local dealer to confirm, but again, according to this gent, this is the replacement unit for that problem. They are not stocking this, they have to call and order the part. Anyway, passing along. Like to hear from some of you if that is ringing true from some of your local shops. Thank you.
    I would expect, that if these final issue to comply with the NHTSA recall front sprockets are now being shipped to dealers, that Shawn Smoake will have them on his video blogs ASAP, and very likely explain the differences or method used to prevent failures.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket?

....I am on the list for this Update. I will give my Spyder Dealer a call tomorrow.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I would expect, that if these final issue to comply with the NHTSA recall front sprockets are now being shipped to dealers, that Shawn Smoake will have them on his video blogs ASAP, and very likely explain the differences or method used to prevent failures.
    If you see the Smoak You Tube video, could you post that it exists….. in case I miss it.😁
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Here’s the email I received back in October. Love the paragraph about if you are not satisfied contact the NHTSA. I actually was in the dealer last Friday to place a pre black friday snowmobile oil order. At that point, last friday, He had heard nothing when I brought it up. I know after the initial inspection, that if the sprocket was to fail, he would have had to order a new one. They BRP was not supplying them in stock to dealers. I’ll call him in an hour. Below is just a copy and paste of BRP’s notice for “final” repair and I also received it in the mail too mid to late October.

Front Sprocket Wear - Potential Loss of Propulsion

Dear BRP Customer,

Following the previous notice issued in May 2022, this updated notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act as a final solution to defect. BRP has decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in the following vehicles. As a result, BRP is conducting a safety recall. Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.

What is the potential problem?

The front sprocket may be defective and may be subject to premature wear. Over time, the vehicle could lose propulsion. If the vehicle loses propulsion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Which models are involved?

Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

What should you do?

The final repair is to replace the front sprocket and the sprocket screw. The replacement procedure should take less than an hour.
    Due to supply chain limitations, the parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended time period beginning October 31.
    Contact your authorized BRP Can-Am dealer and schedule an appointment to have the final safety recall performed on your vehicle. BRP will continue to offer an interim repair procedure until the final installation repair has occurred. The procedure is available at your dealer now and should take less than an hour. BRP will repair your vehicle at no cost.
    The wear occurs over usage time and varies between vehicles. In case of a loss of propulsion, you will maintain steering and braking functions, but you will not be able to maintain your speed. Please have your final repair sprocket and sprocket screw replaced by your dealer, and, if you continue to ride your vehicle before the final repair, we recommend that you go to your dealer for the interim repair procedure if parts are not available.

If you leased this vehicle:

Send a copy of this letter to the lessee within ten working days after the day you received this letter.

Do the same with any future letters about this safety recall. If after contacting your dealer and the Customer Assistance Center, you are still not
    satisfied we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Campaign ID Number for this recall is 22V352.

If you previously had to replace the front sprocket for this issue and BRP did not cover the cost of the repair, please contact us for reimbursement. However, your vehicle will still need to have the safety recall repair performed.

What to do if you feel you have received this notice by mistake: This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available.
    If you no longer own this vehicle or some information regarding your name or address are incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

Your safety and continued satisfaction with our products are a priority for us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and remain committed to facilitating the process as much as we can.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    If you see the Smoak You Tube video, could you post that it exists….. in case I miss it.��
    Sorry, honest and true, I do not follow those videos. I may watch one occasionally, but certainly not subscribed.

Spyder Garage

I got my 2019 Spyder RT Ltd back last week. Supposedly with the final warranty repair sprocket.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1652315

Spyder Garage

I will stop by the dealership and talk with them. I figure I will schedule something during the winter when they are looking for work to keep the guys busy. I am not thrilled about having the dealership work on my Spyder even though they are a good dealership with knowledgeable guys twisting the wrenches. Always do my own work and a it's a bit tough for me to stand back and let others work their magic.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My main service guy I talk to frequently and last friday just got done with a job and had a second to talk. He received the paperwork Monday,(yesterday) notifying that his dealership (mine) will be able to start placing orders and conducting service work starting December 19th . When he inquired, because no specific description or directions for the repair were provided just a letter on notice, he was told BRP is spreading out different scheduling times to dealers so parts can be sent out at different times. He will be receiving the exact procedure December 1st. Not all dealers have received the directions or have the ability to place orders on the final repairs since there very limited stock. I said it sounds like they are just replacing the sprocket and bolt. He said that’s news to him. His notice had no specifics except to “get ready” to schedule. Sounds like they are going by region. He was told that all customers should be receiving a mailed copy which I already received. I’m not saying he’s not blowing fluff, but he has done a excellent job on my spyder after my episode of $11K worth of damage and has always been pretty straight forward. It does make sense to me a bit. Not like it matters in my region. We’re suppose to get up to 2 feet of snow off the lake by Saturday.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: accept - except ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    he was told BRP is spreading out different scheduling times to dealers so parts can be sent out at different times. He will be receiving the exact procedure December 1st. Not all dealers have received the directions or have the ability to place orders on the final repairs since there very limited stock. I said it sounds like they are just replacing the sprocket and bolt. He said that’s news to him. His notice had no specifics except to “get ready” to schedule. Sounds like they are going by region.
    If I recall correctly that is what they did with the heat mitigation fix for the 2013 RTs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If I recall correctly that is what they did with the heat mitigation fix for the 2013 RTs.
    Yep, that is exactly what happened. Unlucky me, my very small dealer was way down the list to get the parts and instructions for the fix, so I waited a very long time. And of course, the BRP "Book Time" for the repair was way too short of the time that it actually took. It would be my guess that BRP's "Book Time" of 1 hour for the final fix - if it really fixes the problem - is probably not realistically enough time to get the job done, just as it was not for my 2013 RTL. But that's all the dealer will get paid. One hour. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to be a dealer and sell these things that when something goes wrong, recall or warranty, they lose money. So it's not just us that BRP is screwing.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

This whole situation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I'd ever consider another Spyder based on this alone. I'm gonna just sit tight until spring I guess.....

Spyder Garage

Spyderman I understand how you feel. I will say this, don’t let one recall ruin your taste. The darn 1330 is still pretty bullet proof. Not much needed as in repairs. BRP already stated and you can read it again in my first post, they will continue to do the replacement of sprockets if it breaks, before the final sprocket is sent out. Which means as for recalls, that actually is pretty good. Most recalls, for example on my Ford, if I do the recall and that breaks again they won’t do the recall a second time. BRP is following through on a second, third, etc time. This wait thing is happening in every company across the entire world. My buddy has a Polaris and has been waiting for parts since last year on a new machine. Honda is the same too. Don’t let anyone fool you. Heck, trusses for houses are 6 months out and this is the slow time of year for them. In my opinion, yes, it's a slow process which requires patience, but its not BRP’s fault they are not releasing everything at once. Then the market would be flooded completely, and everyone would be waiting. Doing it region by region makes sense. If you’re in NY, you’re already done riding. We’ve got 16 inches of snow on the ground and all of New York will have it by this weekend. Even if the sprocket is partially bad, you will still get 3000 miles out of it at least. Mine is at 3 percent and I have over 5000. Just ride it or put it to bed. Don’t let this recall get you all worked up. It's a good machine!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2022 at 03:43 PM. Reason: patients (people receiving medical care) - patience (waiting calmly without anger) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    If you see the Smoak You Tube video, could you post that it exists….. in case I miss it.😁
    Here is the video from gkamer's thread https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...om-Shawn-Smoak
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with my dealer - he said the pulleys are back ordered and he had no idea when they would be sent out.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info all. I missed the call from my dealer at Ride. Will follow-up to see what the deal is. I try to wrench on my own bike when I can, because I too don't trust the dealership folks to do things right. I know its a trust issue, but just have had too many things come back that look like a third grader put it all back together. There are some good mechanics out there and they are definitely worth holding on to. Will see what the service guy has to say. He did say though, that he had already installed one of the perm fix front sprockets, but it is definitely an order per machine, nothing can sit in inventory according to this gent. Watched the Smoak video and it does seem to confirm what I was told, which would be good news to get these fixed. Appreciate all the input from the forum members as well. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. Will let you know if I find out more.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White