Spyder Garage

Default Is there a break-in period/oil change? Near-new F3 Base 2020

Hi all, I just picked up an F3 base 2020 for my wife with only 529 miles on it. I was wondering if there is a break-in period and oil change. I downloaded the manual and it says first oil change is at 3000 miles?
    Second, the rear cover behind the seat has a different key slot than the key that starts it and we only have one key, so I was wondering is it aftermarket or did Can Am supply a second key for the cover?
    Last edited by GASpyderRT; 11-13-2022 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the main question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hello, my 2020 F3 basic had a separate key for the rear cowel cover! It is a small storage box. Similar to a master lock key! Not sure if all keys are the same, but dealer should be able to use your vin number to make you a duplicate key! Good luck!
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

BRP also states (1) year or XXXX miles for oil/filter. Being that the machine is over 12 months old, it would qualify for an oil change. In reality, 529 miles is probably not enough to justify changing.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I would go to a dealer for the key, if the old owner can't find it, as far as the oil changes go's I would change it no matter what just so you can start with a base line and know for sure it has been done and how did it! Cheap insurance!!! and have fun
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    BRP also states (1) year or XXXX miles for oil/filter. Being that the machine is over 12 months old, it would qualify for an oil change. In reality, 529 miles is probably not enough to justify changing.
    I just purchased a 2021 RT with 500+ miles 2 weeks ago. I was going to have the oil changed, but decided to wait. I have already added about 700 miles to that and will be at 3000 in no time. So I decided to just wait and have it done as suggested at the 3000 mile intival. I did check everything over and it looked great, so we will see.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The current Spyders call for the 3K mile oil change "break-in" service. Then, 9500K miles (12,500) OR once a year which ever applies to you.

Way back in the day that service was at 600 miles. Our new (then) 2011 RT needed an oil change 2 days after we purchased it. We had to wait a week from the dealer. It had 1500 miles on it when we brought it in for the oil change service. No problems. Kept it until 2019 and traded off on a new F3, 45K miles later.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-14-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would go to a dealer for the key, if the old owner can't find it, as far as the oil changes go's I would change it no matter what just so you can start with a base line and know for sure it has been done and how did it! Cheap insurance!!! and have fun
    .... But consider this, when an engine is new this is when any particles of anything are going to be present in the oil.... After the first oil change the likely hood of more debris is greatly lessoned. .... After I buy a new vehicle ( like brand new ) I change the oil & filter at about 200 mi., I have not had any engine issues related to oil contamination in the past 60 yrs..... but this is me .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... But consider this, when an engine is new this is when any particles of anything are going to be present in the oil.... After the first oil change the likely hood of more debris is greatly lessoned. .... After I buy a new vehicle ( like brand new ) I change the oil & filter at about 200 mi., I have not had any engine issues related to oil contamination in the past 60 yrs..... but this is me .... good luck .... Mike
    Totally agree, oil is cheap and peace of mind.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-12-2023 at 12:44 AM. Reason: ...ee,oi... - ...ee, oi... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Changing your oil at 529 miles makes zero mechanical or economic sense. Consider your oil as being fresh and full of opportunity to serve your engine well. There isn’t anything substantive that would make one iota of a difference in changing this oil purely based on time this Spyder has been in service.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator