Spyder Garage

Default What I've learned about Loctite and Threadlockers

Greetings

When I was on two wheels I frequented the ADVrider forum. Learned a lot. Returned there yesterday and fell into a very long thread on Loctite, its products and usage.

I use the stuff, blue almost exclusively, and use it now on my Spyder. You're probably way ahead of me on thread lock products, but here's a few things I didn't know:

+ Thread-locker and plastic don't get along well. Be careful to keep thread lock off the Tupperware.

+ Shelf life is about a year. Those tubes of Loctite sitting at the back of the toolbox drawer? I just threw away four and the remaining tube of blue that I have is well past 4 years old. I'm using it because I don't want to go buy some fresh, but will, near future. (Which made me wonder how come I had a tube of red (the hold tight through earthquakes and nuclear war stuff) in a blue tube??)

+ For a time, Loctite owned Permatex. No longer. No relation between the two. The guy on ADVrider works for Loctite, so of course he's biased toward Loctite products. I've used both. Permatex is everywhere. Loctite might get my vote for a smidgen better, but I have no expertise in such matters apart from my gut.

+ Application methods matter. Blind hole? different method than an open thread. How much to use? I learned to coat ALL the threads on the bolt (versus my prior method: dribble some onto the side of the bolt. "The turning of the bolt will spread the stuff around." WRONG!)

+ The stuff in a tube, like chapstick, is just as good as the liquid.

I'm about halfway through the entire thread. Plan to finish sometime next summer!

Hope this is at least of interest. It has changed the way I use the stuff for sure.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    + Application methods matter. Blind hole? different method than an open thread. How much to use? I learned to coat ALL the threads on the bolt (versus my prior method: dribble some onto the side of the bolt. "The turning of the bolt will spread the stuff around." WRONG!)
    The guy that made the Loctite Products video on their website would differ with you. He only "dribbles some on the side of the bolt".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2022 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Less is Better

....I have used various brands of 'thread - locks' for over 50+ years. I have always been about using 'less is better'. Why, because if you have to disassemble something in the future. Well it can be a tuffy. Been there and done it.

My Tip: Follow the instructions/directions on the package.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

When you finish reading that, you can start reading an article about getting red Locktite to turn loose......... or in the case of Spyders, the yellow stuff the factory puts on everything.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: putts (on-green golf shots) - puts (places things where wanted) :-D
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Columbia
    If you are restocking your Blue Loctite, consider the more versatile 243 instead of 242. 243 can be used in presence of oil, not applied to oily surfaces, rather is acceptable say inside a gearbox.

ADV Rider is a huge website. Been a member there far longer than here.

Spyder Garage

"I'm about halfway through the entire thread. Plan to finish sometime next summer!"

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    When you finish reading that, you can start reading an article about getting red Locktite to turn loose......... or in the case of Spyders, the yellow stuff the factory puts on everything.
    The yellow Loctite from the factory is nasty. If removing a bolt, and you stop part way it binds the bolt - heat. If you start again 50/50 chance of it coming free. Found that letting the bolt cool then start again. Have broken a couple. if removing a bolt, don't stop and start. Blue Loctite is more forgiving. Just my experience.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest