Spyder Garage

Default Electric shift with a linear actuator for a Can Am Ryker!

Electric shift using a linear actuator.

I ordered a few parts from the listed sources; the rest came from the local hardware store. I fabricated just one part to attach the ball joint to the linear actuator using ¾” PVC conduit and an end cap cut from a blank PVC electrical box cover glued with PVC cement. I used an existing hole in the chassis for the actuator. The P clamp is adjusted along the shift lever to match the actuator’s 2” travel. The ball joint can be disconnected by hand in case of an actuator failure. The switch is mounted above the parking brake lock. The actuator draws 3A max. Cost is less than a jockey shifter.

There are less expensive linear actuators that would work, but they are slower. This one is also rated IP66 dust and water protected.

Firgelli Premium Linear Actuator Model #FA-35-12-2-P (35lb. 2” stroke 1 second travel time).
    https://www.firgelliauto.com/product...near-actuators

Fielect 2Pcs Rod End Ball Bearing with Stud Inside 6 Outside 6 A3 Steel Silver Generator Accessories Zinc Plated
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814XWPNF...roduct_details

11.1mm 0.44" ID Blue Billet P-Clip for PTFE-AN6 Teflon Fuel Hose Clamp
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/232057226880

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Neat solution!

Am happy with my jockey shifter, though.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2022 at 04:51 AM. Reason: sollution - solution ;-)
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Spyder Garage

Great idea.....
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

DickB, I may not have a Ryker but thanks for the post. Serves as inspiration on another non Spyder related project.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

BTW Firgelli offers a bracket for the rod end if you don't want to fabricate one.

Spyder Garage

Sweet!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

No reason that I should hit the shift switch accidentally, but I decided to install a microswitch to inhibit shifting into reverse unless the parking brake is on.
    Last edited by DickB; 11-17-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi, I'm new here. I am an ex-motorcyclist. In 2008, I had a serious motorcycle accident and I lost an arm and a leg. Now, after many years, I bought a 2021 Ryker 900.
    I really like your idea of ​​electric gear shifting and I would like to use it in my vehicle.
    Please tell me where to get the power for the actuator so that it works only after the ignition is turned on?
    Best regards, Tomasz from Poland

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qWKrR2Obk00&feature=shared

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mojaprotezaPL View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I am an ex-motorcyclist. In 2008, I had a serious motorcycle accident and I lost an arm and a leg. Now, after many years, I bought a 2021 Ryker 900.
    I really like your idea of ​​electric gear shifting and I would like to use it in my vehicle.
    Please tell me where to get the power for the actuator so that it works only after the ignition is turned on?
    Best regards, Tomasz from Poland

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qWKrR2Obk00&feature=shared
    If I was you, I would PM him thru this site and get in touch with him direct!!!! This post was from back in 22!! It is a great setup and I hope you get what you're looking for!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2023 at 04:31 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

That is a very good solution to the bad location of the shift. Thanks for sharing.

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Electric shift using a linear actuator.

I ordered a few parts from the listed sources; the rest came from the local hardware store. I fabricated just one part to attach the ball joint to the linear actuator using ¾” PVC conduit and an end cap cut from a blank PVC electrical box cover glued with PVC cement. I used an existing hole in the chassis for the actuator. The P clamp is adjusted along the shift lever to match the actuator’s 2” travel. The ball joint can be disconnected by hand in case of an actuator failure. The switch is mounted above the parking brake lock. The actuator draws 3A max. Cost is less than a jockey shifter.

There are less expensive linear actuators that would work, but they are slower. This one is also rated IP66 dust and water protected.
    What an awesome post. I'm sure that others will benefit from that post now and well into the future. Good work and well presented.