Spyder Garage

Default To Install shed insulation or not? Storing 2022 RTL

Picked up a sweet deal on a shed for our 2022 RTL.
    Wife would like the shed insulated.
    I'm on the fence about it.
    It's ventilated and will have no heat.
    I'm in the Midwest.
    What would you do?

Sorry how pictures loaded.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dobieone; 11-09-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you gonna hang out in there to escape from the house, yeah, insulate it. Small electric heater will make it bearable in winter. It really depends on the planned use, but plans have a way of changing.

I spent a good bit to have closed cell foam blown in the walls and ceiling of my metal shop. It was worth every penny I spent during the summers here. In winter I can work in there without any additional heat.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 11-09-2022 at 06:52 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Looks like a nice shed. Any idea why your wife want's it insulated? I see it is vented. I don't think insulation would do a thing with no heat or electricity except provide a place for bugs and other critters to live. I'd leave it as is. Easy to clean and maintain..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dobieone View Post
    I'm in the Midwest.
    What would you do?

Thanks
    Insulating it makes no sense to me. But, she's not my wife.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

While at it just man cave it otherwise save the $$ for trips bringing the wife nice shed/garage-parking spot tho congrats Maybe could add a solar battery maintainer -just less to trip over than extension cords.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Without a heat source, either permanent or temporary, the insulation will do nothing except lighten your wallet. AND keep your wife happy.

As to the pictures, I have the same problem. I don't know how to fix that.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 11-09-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said insulation is a waste of money unless you want to seal up those vents, but they have a purpose.. to keep mold and mildew from forming.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Unless you are planning on working in there, I wouldn't bother.
    My bike shed isn't.
    But " Happy Wife"
    "Happy Life"

Spyder Garage

Boy Raven you hit the nail on the head.
    I let her look at all the responses from everyone and she came to the conclusion that insulation would not be the best thing to do.
    Thanks eveyone.

Spyder Garage

Sorry how pictures loaded.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post

Off topic I know, but here's a quick outline of what you can do to get your pics showing the right way! If you want to discuss it more, post up in one of the existing threads on as this subject in Forum Support & Testing, or drop me a PM!

Your pics are displaying sideways (or upside down) like that because the Forum software uses the Top LEFT corner as its image 'anchor point', only the default for many phones/tablets etc is the Top RIGHT corner when you are taking pics in Portrait Mode. That means that when you load them onto the Forum, the software here (which we really can't change easily/inexpensively) looks for the image anchor point & if there is one, loads the pic with that in the Top LEFT corner.... only on your images, where it's in the Top RIGHT corner, that means it flips them 90° anti-clockwise!

BUT, for most, there's a simple answer - just make sure that whenever you are taking pics intended for the Forum on your phone/tablet/whatever with the anchor point in the Top RIGHT in Portrait Mode, you take those pics in LANDSCAPE Mode by flipping the phone/tablet/whatever 90° ANTI-clockwise - ie, move the Top RIGHT corner of your device in Portrait Mode over to thecTop LEFT corner in Landscape Mode! For most, it's as easy as that!

For those that don't find it quite that easy (& there are some devices that it doesn't work for! ) you can always open the image in a photo-editor before loading it onto the Forum & flip it in there, then save it with another name to re-set the anchor point into the correct position once you upload it & it displays here - you may need to do a bit of testing/spend some time trialing & correcting errors (Forum Support & Testing is the sub-forum/section/area to do that if you do need to! ) in order to get it sorted properly; or you might be able to find a photo-editor that'll allow you to simply reset the anchor point/corner to whichever place you want it to be - and just remember the Forum uses the Top LEFT as the anchor point in most instances!

Now, after that brief interlude, let's get back on topic & your normal program for this thread!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Leave it alone. You make it comfy and Mickey and his friends will be moving in and probably munch on your bike or build nests in it. I kept my bikes in an uninsulated garage for 30 years and have never had a critter issue. My garage at the new place is comfy and now I have to be vigilant. Leave it alone.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I will have to say this shed is built to very high standards.
    Before buying I shut the ramp behind me and the only light I can see is from the vents which also has a heavy duty mesh on them. If micky gets in while ramp is open he ain't getting out. I did put peppermint oil on the steel threshold. Shed built by the Amish in Indiana.
    Going to work on pictures thanks for the info Peter.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm in the Midwest.
    What would you do?

Thanks
    Only my opinion...
    I had a shed much like yours, here is what I did, I went to the builders supply and got sheets of 2in. styrofoam sheets
    cut them to size and glued them in between the studs to the thickness of the studs... over the top of that I put 3/8th. plywood
    onmost of the walls and celling I did put a 4X8 sheet of masonite with the holes in it so I could put the hooks and hang stuff on it
    like battery maintainer and such. I did before that run Romex wiring and installed ceiling lights " i used one 6 foot fluorescent fixture
    mounted a double gang box by the door for the switch and 110 outlet, I also put 110 outlets around the inside 4 of them so I could have power if and when I needed it. The rafters were insulated using R30 fiberglass insulation. I installed 1 ceiling vent as well. On the back wall I built a bench for tools and I had a small electric heater in there to plug in and keep warm when out there messing around with the bikes when it was cold out... I was always happy I insulated it because it kept warm for a long time.
    This kept my motorcycles safe and warm for years until I moved to a house with a garage.
    about one year after all the above, I removed the door and installed
    a regular garage type roll up door and made a cement ramp to ride up on to get into the shed, I put a garage door opener on it so I didn't have to get off to ride into the bikes home....
    Yes it did cost a few bucks but well worth it, I would do it again if I needed to...
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 11-10-2022 at 12:07 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Indiana

... Welcome from a fellow Indiana Spyder Forum Member. I have a similar setup. I didn't worry about it being heated. My Spyder loves the cold temperatures and has been very happy for 6+ years.

As others have already posted save your money for better things. Maybe get a farkle or two.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Looks like a nice shed. Any idea why your wife want's it insulated? I see it is vented. I don't think insulation would do a thing with no heat or electricity except provide a place for bugs and other critters to live. I'd leave it as is. Easy to clean and maintain..... Jim
    Asked and answered but I agree with Jim.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Read this: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...entation-issue

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would spray some white paint in there, it will lighten up the place, there doesn't look like there much room around the bike to work on it so why insulate, the bike doesn't care if it's cold!! Nice shed, love it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'd insulate it and I'll tell you why. I live in the hot south west and I insulated an enclosed trailer that I stored my Honda 1800 in when I used my garage for other things. With the vents open, it never got hotter than the outside air. If I closed the vents, it got hotter then heck in there. The trailer was white and the roof was painted with white roofing paint.
    JMHO
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

If you're going to insulate the wall and ceiling, leave the vents open to allow ventilation of the space between the ceiling and the roof. Especially important here in the Midwest and the temp and humidity extremes we have. If it were mine, and I was storing my spyder, I'd insulate it. Probably figure out how to get power to it for a battery maintainer and light and small heater and on and on and on.......

Spyder Garage

Insulation probably isn't as important as getting electricity to it. With Midwest winter temps, you definitely want a battery tender on it!
    2011 Spyder RT Limited