Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrong milage on title - is this an issue??

This is not just spyder related, but in my particular case, it is. Purchased my 2021 spyder a little over a week ago. The bike had a hair under 600 miles when I left the ladies house, 712 when I got home. Thing is, she filled out the title milage back in July when we were first about to make the deal. At that time the bike had 469.7 miles. I believe that when filling out the paperwork, the DMV put down 4,697 miles. Since I plan on keeping this bike for a while, I don't see a problem. Does anyone else see this as an issue?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Every state is different but in PA we get our renewal every 2 years. You write the current mileage down “at that point of renewal” and send in and a card comes. So it would make no difference in PA. Ohio and NY might not even get their titles. They get a card mini card that is turned over at sales. The state keeps the title or atleast they do on SXS and sleds. Only thing the state could say is it was under valued as in sale price if say your bill of sales said $10000 for a 2021 with 4,697 when its real value was say $21000. Actually having more miles recorded would not flag the undervalue part. Depends how picky the state wants to be. Most of the time miles don’t matter, they’re looking for the vehicle value that’s sold $1000’s cheaper so the person doesn’t have to pay as much sales tax back when they actually paid the real price in cash. The state wants its tax money!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 11-09-2022 at 09:46 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I wonder if it will show up when you get it inspected.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Don't know about sleds utes ,etc but most vehicles in NY are now titled. Small trailers are transferred by registration card. When I purchased my Spyder last year it it took about 6 months but I did finally get my title. Normally it would be about 3 weeks!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    I wonder if it will show up when you get it inspected.
    That is the second time that it should show up. I should have well beyond the 4k+ miles by then (inspection due in Dec. 2023). The first time that the milage will show is when I take it in for an oil change. My thoughts are that the only way that might be an issue is if I was to sell it and a car fax is run. It will show the service being done at a lower milage and later date than the title transfer. I don't think it would be a problem, but I was just wondering.

Spyder Garage

In Utah if your vehicle is under 10 years old an accurate mileage statement is required to help prevent fraud.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Inspected ? do they still do that ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    This is not just spyder related, but in my particular case, it is. Purchased my 2021 spyder a little over a week ago. The bike had a hair under 600 miles when I left the ladies house, 712 when I got home. Thing is, she filled out the title milage back in July when we were first about to make the deal. At that time the bike had 469.7 miles. I believe that when filling out the paperwork, the DMV put down 4,697 miles. Since I plan on keeping this bike for a while, I don't see a problem. Does anyone else see this as an issue?
    go to your DMV and get a corrected title. The wrong milage will eventually become a problem down the line.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like its time for a nice road trip to bring the mileage up where it should be.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ndf3lover View Post
    go to your DMV and get a corrected title. The wrong milage will eventually become a problem down the line.
    I agree with ndf3lover. Although I would say it 'could' eventually become a problem.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ndf3lover View Post
    I agree. Why not have your DMV correct their error and be done with it.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Myself, "if" I was planning on keeping it and running it then I wouldn't care.

You might question the DMV in your state to see how much of a hassle it will be to correct it. Around here dealing with the DMV is a pain.

On the bright side you now have a reason to take a couple of trips just to make it match.

In Ga there are no inspections and mileages are "Never" reported unless it's by a dealer doing service or repairs, insurance rates or in case of accident or sale of vehicle.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 11-09-2022 at 02:57 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It looks like if you both live in N.C. the seller was supposed to fill out an MVR 180.

https://www.formalu.com/forms/72193/...sure-statement

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    It looks like if you both live in N.C. the seller was supposed to fill out an MVR 180.

https://www.formalu.com/forms/72193/...sure-statement
    No, the seller lived in Virginia. I will probably be taking a trip to the DMV to see what needs to be done to correct it. The DMV is always a pain, with a line about 50 yards long on the best days. I will just take a day and plan on spending about 2 hours getting this straight.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Spyder Garage

I have been around NC for decades. Any change to a VIN, mileage or anything of significance will need to be looked at by one of the DMV inspectors. They will complete the proper paperwork to take to the DMV. No one at the DMV offices will change it upon your request. Be sure to take all documentation, title, and Spyder to the inspector visit. You can find out how to get in touch with the inspector in your area from a local DMV. This is something that will take some time but is something you should do so it doesn't get flagged mileage unknown. Get back with me if I can be of any further help. I have been through this before. Good luck.
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I meant NC titles for decades, Actually Va. too.
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Also, both NC and VA titles say no tenths when entering mileage so it would be easy for a person at the DMV to just put in the numbers they saw, not looking for a decimal point. Tourer mentioned something the mileage at inspections. Now it will be less than stated mileage until you reach the mileage shown on your title. It is possible, if you sell it, someone check something like Carfax it will show conflicting dates and mileage when inspected which could cause problems for you with a prospective buyer. Again, let me know if I can help. BTW I worked with titles at dealerships in NC near VA for 20-25 years.
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    At that time the bike had 469.7 miles. I believe that when filling out the paperwork, the DMV put down 4,697 miles. Since I plan on keeping this bike for a while, I don't see a problem. Does anyone else see this as an issue?
    Plans have a way of changing over time. If you decide to sell this the new owner would question how the mileage on the Spyder could be so much lower than the mileage on the title. The state could suspect fraud on your part. I'd go to the DMV and get it corrected ASAP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Westryder View Post
    Also, both NC and VA titles say no tenths when entering mileage so it would be easy for a person at the DMV to just put in the numbers they saw, not looking for a decimal point. Tourer mentioned something the mileage at inspections. Now it will be less than stated mileage until you reach the mileage shown on your title. It is possible, if you sell it, someone check something like Carfax it will show conflicting dates and mileage when inspected which could cause problems for you with a prospective buyer. Again, let me know if I can help. BTW I worked with titles at dealerships in NC near VA for 20-25 years.
    Thanks so much. I am hoping to have the title back in a week or so. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks, so we will see. I noticed the decimal point as I was handing the DMV person the title. I should have spoken up at that time, but I didn't. I am sure I will have the 4,000+ milage on the bike in no time. The only thing that could cause a conflict would be when I call this week to add the extended warranty, when I take it to the dealership for the 3000 mile oil change, or if (God forbid) I have an insurance claim due to some unforeseen issue before I reach 4000 miles.
    As I said, I will know for sure when I get the title in my hands and we will go from there.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my RT the owner stated he had 975 miles on the listing ( it had 1550 miles) But he was looking at the trip mileage odometer not the odometer. Just double check that. (still bought it)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Well, after almost 4 weeks, I finally got the title back from NCDMV. And sure enough, it states 4000+ miles on it. Not the 469 that it should have. I am going to give the DMV a call on Tuesday or Wednesday and see what steps I will have to go through to get it corrected. If I don't have an insurance claim before about mid May, I should definitely have above my 4000 miles. We will see what happens.