Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious..... anyone thought of Heads up display on their Spyder? Or helmet?

Wife loves her heads up display in her car. She asked about an aftermarket for her new ride. I just searched..... and Joel the Biker did an Ebay one for $20-something back in 2018 and apparently liked it.

Was wondering if anyone else has or has thought of putting heads up on their rides? Thoughts about HUD in the helmet?

I work aviation and use HUD every day. And now after driving my wife's car so much, might have to think about doing something for my truck.

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    Wife’s
    2017 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

I think a HUD in a motorcycle helmet would be just way too distracting.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a heads up display on my spyder, It projects the speed on my windshield. My windshield is dark smoke, so it works very well. I also have one on my dad's spyder, but it is harder to see and has double vision because it is projected onto the stock windshield.
    IMG_20220414_102107238_HDR.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I have a heads up display on my spyder, It projects the speed on my windshield. My windshield is dark smoke, so it works very well. I also have one on my dad's spyder, but it is harder to see and has double vision because it is projected onto the stock windshield.
    Joel, If you got some " auto windshield tint " you could cut a small square and place only in the area where the HUD is focosed onto the windshield ..... the stuff just peels off .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Joel, If you got some " auto windshield tint " you could cut a small square and place only in the area where the HUD is focosed onto the windshield ..... the stuff just peels off .... Mike
    That is an excellent idea!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link to the HUD you're using?
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Do you have a link to the HUD you're using?
    I saw a few different types on E-bay .... about $35.00 & up ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I haven't experienced this HUD, can't give an informed opinion, but thinking it through, I agree with gkamer, sounds distracting. I have enough to think about driving the Spyder with buttons, where's the horn, etc. Opinion, this thing is not for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Since I haven't experienced this HUD, can't give an informed opinion, but thinking it through, I agree with gkamer, sounds distracting. I have enough to think about driving the Spyder with buttons, where's the horn, etc. Opinion, this thing is not for me.
    Well think of it like rain on the windshield ...... it becomes irrelevant ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a HUD for my truck. but it plugs into the OBD2 port. We got such a thing on a Spyder, OBD2 port that is?
    Last edited by Eckhard; 11-10-2022 at 11:29 AM.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    I have a HUD for my truck. but it plugs into the OBD2 port. We got such a thing on a Spyder, OBD2 port that is?
    There is a diagnostic plug but it is not an OBDII.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I think OBD is available for SPYDERs

2014 and prior Spyders use the KWP2000 variant of CANBUS 2.0a (11-bit addresses) at 500kbps. SpyderMonkey and I have successfully read and decoded many of the messages (eg MSL, VS, SA).

We also know the Spyder can display OBD-style DTCs on the console.

So Eckhard's question led me to take another look at the OBD specification. Turns out there's an 11-bit section where the code reader issues a 7DFh RTR (remote request) message expecting 7E8h to 7EFh messages in reply. My CANBUS sniffer seems to have the ability to generate an arbitrary RTR message so I'm going to give this a try.

Eckhard -- what HUD do you have? Is it capable of accepting CANBUS 2.0a such as your Spyder? Basically you would be looking for a car configuration prior to say 2013-2014 (the CANBUS 2.0b specification was released in 2012).

WRT to connection, the 2014 DLC1 connection is a 6-pin Deutsch DT connector near the coolant fill tank. Easy to get to and access the pins (WH/BG is CAN-HIGH, WH/BK is CAN-LOW).

==============

CANBUS is the backbone of the Spyder's electronics. It ties together 11 subsystems (eg ECM TCM VSS MSL etc) on a 2-wire 500kbps industry standard network. For 2014 all subsystems continuously and periodically transmit messages every 200-300ms needed to monitor and control Spyder operation.

Those messages are NOT OBD.

OBD messages are transmitted upon request (CANBUS RTR) with aperiodic responses. There are 10 standard OBD messages (service) although not all of them must be implemented and some implementations can be manufacturer-dependent.

An OBD sniffer capable of interfacing with CANBUS 2.0a should be able to request and display 2014 and earlier OBD DTCs and real-time information such as engine speed, vehicle speed, coolant temperature, etc.

Apologies for the 2014 limitation -- I gotta go with what I know for my own Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

So who wants a HUD for their Spyder?

Well Eckhard you certainly led me down the rabbit hole. I was about to leave for my Valley Center workshop and now I'm about ready to buy a $50 CANBUS 2.0a OBD-II scanner (waiting for vendor to verify capability). I've also asked the same question of several HUD vendors although I'm not interested in a HUD. I guess I'll work in my driveway this afternoon (I'm taking bodywork apart for my CANBUS project).

But in the meantime I followed the ELM327 thread at the bottom of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Since my project involves an Arduino Duo I wondered if someone built their own HUD using the ELM327 and an MCP. Nope. Not someone. A whole bunch of people! And the software libraries are on GitHub. Took a look and they're kinda nice. So if someone wants to build their own HUD (or auxiliary console display) of OBD-II data the hard part has already been done. You just need to wrap some weathertight hardware around the circuit boards and connect to the DLC1 port.

Back to the HUD -- here's my offer to a pre-2018 Spyder owner: choose (but don't buy) one on Amazon and tell me your choice. I'll verify CANBUS 2.0a compatibility with the vendor. Then you send me pictures of your DLC1 connector that clearly show wire colors and pinouts. If it's a 6-pin Deutsch DT with 5 pins populated (WH/BG, WH/BK, OR/RD, RD/YE, BK) then I'll buy the HUD, fabricate the Spyder-to-HUD cable (which will plug into the DLC1 connector for CANBUS signals, 12V power and ground), verify its operation and send it to you. If it works on your Spyder you pay me materials and shipping.

Now I'm leaving the rabbit hole for the driveway.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!

Spyder Garage

Hi Bert.

Please don't go to any more effort on my behalf as my Spyder is laid-up with a mechanical problem.

Thanks for thiking of me.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

WOW! I definitely learned some stuff about the ride on this thread! Thanks for the inputs and the suggestions!
    Wife’s
    2017 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Well Eckhard you certainly led me down the rabbit hole. I was about to leave for my Valley Center workshop and now I'm about ready to buy a $50 CANBUS 2.0a OBD-II scanner (waiting for vendor to verify capability). I've also asked the same question of several HUD vendors although I'm not interested in a HUD. I guess I'll work in my driveway this afternoon (I'm taking bodywork apart for my CANBUS project).

But in the meantime I followed the ELM327 thread at the bottom of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Since my project involves an Arduino Duo I wondered if someone built their own HUD using the ELM327 and an MCP. Nope. Not someone. A whole bunch of people! And the software libraries are on GitHub. Took a look and they're kinda nice. So if someone wants to build their own HUD (or auxiliary console display) of OBD-II data the hard part has already been done. You just need to wrap some weathertight hardware around the circuit boards and connect to the DLC1 port.

Back to the HUD -- here's my offer to a pre-2018 Spyder owner: choose (but don't buy) one on Amazon and tell me your choice. I'll verify CANBUS 2.0a compatibility with the vendor. Then you send me pictures of your DLC1 connector that clearly show wire colors and pinouts. If it's a 6-pin Deutsch DT with 5 pins populated (WH/BG, WH/BK, OR/RD, RD/YE, BK) then I'll buy the HUD, fabricate the Spyder-to-HUD cable (which will plug into the DLC1 connector for CANBUS signals, 12V power and ground), verify its operation and send it to you. If it works on your Spyder you pay me materials and shipping.

Now I'm leaving the rabbit hole for the driveway.
    Bert,
    Holy wow!!!! That's the most incredible offer I have heard of in a long time! Just talked to the wife about this......She asked...."what does he suggest for the kind I should get?" I said...." I don't know but I will ask!" See how well trained I am?
    Wife’s
    2017 Spyder RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Next three steps - W -- well you seem to be much HWHL wiser than this guy https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1652185

There are several steps here.

The first step is what information does your wife want displayed on her HUD?

The second step is what viewing conditions and/or modifications to her windscreen are acceptable (Spyder windscreens are "outside" on both sides while car windshields are "outside" on only one side with the other side typically shadowed/darker. stebrock has an excellent lesson-learned.

The third step is choosing the vendor. Certainly cycle through what Amazon offers but also check out various ATV/UTV forums to see what works for them. All HUDs will be driven by OBD-II Service 01 PIDs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II...w_current_data) so the question is whether the Spyder generates them. I should know this weekend.

Have fun in you HUD search.

PS ain't this gonna be fun
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Joel -- where do you get the speed data for your HUD? Is it from GPS, custom wheel sensor, or Spyder data?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    There is a diagnostic plug but it is not an OBDII.
    Dave -- just finished testing my Spyder and yep it ain't OBD-II compliant -- from a CANBUS 2.0a protocol perspective (eg PID request/response via CANBUS). We know the SAE DTCs are in there somewhere but BUDS knows the secret handshake to retrieve them.

I see you have a 2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited 'PYDER'

Would you do me a favor and post a picture of the emissions sticker. I believe it is under the seat. I'm looking for compliance with Federal or 50-state requirements and if it says OBD-II in the upper right corner. My sticker says none of that even though it was purchased in California (I believe in Escondido). Thanks.

Also would you confirm the DLC is a 6-pin Deutsch DT. Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Bert Remington 11/14/22
    I should know this weekend.
    Bert Remington 11/19/2022 Knowledge ain't free and after spending $100 I now know my Spyder is not OBD-II compliant from a protocol perspective. We know the DTCs are in the Spyder somewhere but we don't know how to ask for them via the DLC port. Sometimes the dragon wins.

IMG_0280.jpg

I've asked Joel and Dave for information that might help in that regard.

Time for BeerCat.

IMG_0470.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I thought about a HUD but after recently driving a loaner car that had one, I have to agree, it's very distracting.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 11-27-2022 at 09:37 AM.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Dave -- just finished testing my Spyder and yep it ain't OBD-II compliant -- from a CANBUS 2.0a protocol perspective (eg PID request/response via CANBUS). We know the SAE DTCs are in there somewhere but BUDS knows the secret handshake to retrieve them.

I see you have a 2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited 'PYDER'

Would you do me a favor and post a picture of the emissions sticker. I believe it is under the seat. I'm looking for compliance with Federal or 50-state requirements and if it says OBD-II in the upper right corner. My sticker says none of that even though it was purchased in California (I believe in Escondido). Thanks.

Also would you confirm the DLC is a 6-pin Deutsch DT. Thanks again.
    The sticker is very hard to see. The sticker is messed up and upside down on my Spyder. I see nothing about OBD-II at all on this sticker.

20221126_161722.jpg

Here is a picture of the Diagnostic Connector (DLC). I hope it shows you what you need.

20221126_162043.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks

Dave -- thanks very much for that information. Yep the sticker is emissions only no OBD mention. The data is in there but not in SAE format. And the 6-pin Deutsch DT connector is standard across most BRP land-oriented products back to 2010 or thereabouts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joel -- where do you get the speed data for your HUD? Is it from GPS, custom wheel sensor, or Spyder data?
    GPS is built in
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green