Spyder Garage

Default Hello, looking for feedback on brake up grades?

I own a 21 RTL and I ride pretty aggressively, I have seen on Martin the Blogger's site a front caliper and rotor upgrade. I am looking for feed back on your experience with these mods? I have ordered the Elkas and since I am pulling it all apart I may as well consider this upgrade and just do it once......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question then Caps + sense - since ;-)

Spyder Garage

I purchased both the EBC Brake pads and new rotor set from BajaRon when I wanted to improve my Spyder's stopping power, but I had first upgraded to car tires, front shock upgrades, and swaybar upgrades, but definitely felt the improved stopping power (as did my wife the first time I really clamped on the binders).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

with you!! I would change the pads and rotors first, that would be the cheaper way to go use them up and if you are not happy with that then go with what Martin did! My 2 cents on that, it may work fine, it may not if you are as much of a throttle jockey as you say, and ride in the kind of mountains that Martin rides in!! Good luck!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 05:52 AM. Reason: jokey (not serious, teasing!) - jockey (a person who rides in races!) ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As I am routinely wont to say, EBC fully sintered brake pads and rotors will stop you like the hand of God.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if any of you would do a brake “upgrade” to a Porsche? They have Brembo brakes and are already the best. I’ve owned 3 Spyders and 5 Goldwings with close to if not over 100k miles on each. (20k on the Spyders) and never replaced a rotor because I use OEM pads. Nothing beats Brembo.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 11-07-2022 at 01:15 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I wonder if any of you would do a brake “upgrade” to a Porsche? They have Brembo brakes and are already the best. I’ve owned 3 Spyders and 5 Goldwings with close to if not over 100k miles on each. (20k on the Spyders) and never replaced a rotor because I use OEM pads. Nothing beats Brembo.
    Hey, the guy asked if we would do a brake job on our ride! Some of us are trying to talk him off the shelf, & yes, Brembo makes a great brake system, but like most people for whatever reason want to reinvent the wheel or want more! I ride old iron and have the old brake system, EBC was a great update for me and gave me a better brake for my bike, so that's what I based my thoughts on when answering his question; if he was to change his pads maybe that would be the cheaper way to achieve what he is looking for!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2022 at 05:55 AM. Reason: bast - based ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

WOW . I had asked if any one had experience with martins brake rotors and pads and calipers. from the response i have gotten so far. No would be the answer. I know i asked for info from those that have feed back from his brake upgrade. We all know about EBC and centered rotors. guys thank you but my question was not answered by any of you. PLEASE ONLY IF YOU HAVE HIS PRODUCTS .....THANK YOU

Spyder Garage

sorry!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    WOW . I had asked if any one had experience with martins brake rotors and pads and calipers. from the response i have gotten so far. No would be the answer. I know i asked for info from those that have feed back from his brake upgrade. We all know about EBC and centered rotors. guys thank you but my question was not answered by any of you. PLEASE ONLY IF YOU HAVE HIS PRODUCTS .....THANK YOU
    I have a feeling you are not likely to get a positive answer - WHY ??? .... well I wouldn't buy a product that has to be shipped from Slovakia to the U.S. unless my life depended on it .....JMHO ... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

It seems you maybe correct, i sent you a pm i was having trouble responding to this message. You buy items china and else where so why not Slovakia. are you questioning the quality of the product or its location or is it the vendor...you have been around long then most on the forum so if you know something the rest of us would like to know...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    It seems you maybe correct, i sent you a pm i was having trouble responding to this message. You buy items china and else where so why not Slovakia. are you questioning the quality of the product or its location or is it the vendor...you have been around long then most on the forum so if you know something the rest of us would like to know...
    I sent you a PM ...... but for everyone else .... I was questioning what the COST of shipping to the US might be, if Martin ships worldwide for FREE - then buy it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mosses1, unfortunately, my IPad did not want to open Martins page on his website. I did find this video he did.

Very impressive setup for the brakes. His video gives great details. No doubt the larger diameter vented discs are a huge improvement in reliability and stopping. The 6 piston calipers seem very nice too.

His video, and Martins words, he cooks the brakes on his own Spyder in short time. He stated 20,000 km and the discs are trashed. Even worse is how he overheats tne brake fluid.

As I mentioned, I was not able to open the sales page. My opinion, but never rode that set up, if you can afford it, do it. The oem Brembo brakes are a decent oem Brembo setup. Brembo is a well respected brake company. If there was a means to utilize the oem Brembo calipers, and oem Brembo brake pads, but upgrade to slightly larger and vented discs instead of cross drilled discs, that would be a great improvement also.

Myself, we run oem Brembo calipers and oem Brembo discs with EBC brake pads. Will likely go back to Brembo brake pads at the next brake change. If I could do a simpler upgrade to vented discs, I would absolutely do that. Here though, in SoFlo, the roads are flat, and fairly straight, so the full Martin kit would be overkill and no doubt costly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3H2KLPEz8

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mosses1, unfortunately, my IPad did not want to open Martins page on his website. I did find this video he did.

Very impressive setup for the brakes. His video gives great details. No doubt the larger diameter vented discs are a huge improvement in reliability and stopping. The 6 piston calipers seem very nice too.

His video, and Martins words, he cooks the brakes on his own Spyder in short time. He stated 20,000 km and the discs are trashed. Even worse is how he overheats tne brake fluid.

As I mentioned, I was not able to open the sales page. My opinion, but never rode that set up, if you can afford it, do it. The oem Brembo brakes are a decent oem Brembo setup. Brembo is a well respected brake company. If there was a means to utilize the oem Brembo calipers, and oem Brembo brake pads, but upgrade to slightly larger and vented discs instead of cross drilled discs, that would be a great improvement also.

Myself, we run oem Brembo calipers and oem Brembo discs with EBC brake pads. Will likely go back to Brembo brake pads at the next brake change. If I could do a simpler upgrade to vented discs, I would absolutely do that. Here though, in SoFlo, the roads are flat, and fairly straight, so the full Martin kit would be overkill and no doubt costly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3H2KLPEz8
    PMK , THANK YOU. I Received a message from Martin and i will be talking to him once we set up a time. I have toasted my brakes a few times to the point i had to pull over and let them cool down, i am in northern nj and lots great roads that i love and so it seems that i may have to do a bit more research on wha the next best thing to do..thank you for looking up his page....