Spyder Garage

Default What computer do I need to run BUDS/BUDS2?

What computer do I need to run BUDS/BUDS2? Will Apple work?
    TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

You can't do Mac unless you run Bootcamp to have Windows.... I know a guy (Dealer for BRP products) that is selling Tough Notepads with BUDS/BUDS2 preloaded for 350.00 if ya want his info? You'll need to buy the license for whatever version you need & the hardware interface, but it is still a SWEET deal....
    Last edited by hypurone; 11-05-2022 at 08:17 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Any idea what the Mega Tech license is going for?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Last I checked it was $100 for the BUDS 10yr Megatech, for BUDS2 it was 800.00 for the 10yr Megatech (you can use the same interface which is approx 500.00 for the interface unit)

EDIT: I JUST DOUBLE CHECKED WITH JOSHUA AND I MISUNDERSTOOD HIS MESSAGE TO ME! BUDS IS 100.00 FOR A 10YR MT LICENSE AND BUDS2 IS 800.00 FOR A 10YR MT!!
    Last edited by hypurone; 11-06-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default buds 2 licence

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Last I checked it was $100 for the BUDS 10yr Megatech, for BUDS2 it was 300.00 for the 10yr Megatech (you can use the same interface which is approx 500.00 for the hardware)
    Hi, where can i buy a 10yr Megatech for Buds 2 at 300$ ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    Good question. Last I checked it was over $600 for the renewal.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Good question. Last I checked it was over $600 for the renewal.
    PM's sent!

I EDITED MY POST ON COSTS! SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING!!
    Last edited by hypurone; 11-06-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

So basically, if I get some little crappy used laptop with windows, I should be good to go, right?
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    So basically, if I get some little crappy used laptop with windows, I should be good to go, right?
    Yes. Needs one USB port.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Not too crappy. BUDS will run on Windows 10 as that is what I have. No bets on it running on Windows 7 or 8.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Nowhere. A license renew from www.powersports-diag.com is $1283 for ten year Megatech. The only version of the Megatech license that is sold covers all BRP vehicles. There is no version limited to Spyders & Rykers as there is for the regular BUDS/BUDS2 license. AFAIK, powersports-diag is the only place you can buy a legitmate copy of BUDS/BUDS2. The diagnostic interface kit that plugs into any BRP machine is $552 with a one year Spyder/Ryker license.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Go to www.powersports-diag.com for all their pricing. There are a lot of options available.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Go to www.powersports-diag.com for all their pricing. There are a lot of options available.
    i have the infamous Key error on my 2019 RT limited. What should i buy to allow the erasure of the p0513 code and then disable the DESS system like many people have done?

I will be getting it from powersports-diag with licenses....
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 4 inch brake pedal extender SlingMods Phoenix Orange black wheel edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    i have the infamous Key error on my 2019 RT limited. What should i buy to allow the erasure of the p0513 code and then disable the DESS system like many people have done?

I will be getting it from powersports-diag with licenses....
    You need to buy the kit and the Megatech license. Current total with 1 year license is $940.81.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

The laptop cannot be too old. I had an older laptop and got a warning that my laptop may not work and it did not. You will need two USB ports and a USB Male To Male cable if you want to do updates on the dash.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    You will need two USB ports and a USB Male To Male cable if you want to do updates on the dash.
    That would be for the 2018+ models with the newer dash, right? 2017 and earlier don't have USB ports for the dash.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

i know this sounds like a stupid question , but what is this BUDS and BUDS 2 ??? I am guessing computer program to change settings on a Can-Am Spyder ??? but my , what a difference in prices I see here , and is it really worth that kind of money ??? and is there nothing else that will work to clear codes and stuff ??? .... I am just a 71 year old EX Mechanic who knows very little about my Spyder. just asking thats all.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    i know this sounds like a stupid question , but what is this BUDS and BUDS 2 ???
    BUDS is BRP Utility Diagnostic System. BUDS was written for all the vehicles BRP builds. A BUDS license can be bought to cover only Spyders up to 2018. BUDS2 is written for machines later that 2018, and a license can also be bought to cover only Spyders. The megatech license for BUDS2 is sold only to cover all BRP machines, hence the much greater price. BUDS and BUDS2 regular license is restricted to making changes/updates to the basic features of the vehicle computer system. The megatech license allows you to muck around with virtually every aspect of the vehicle computer, including things like changing the vehicle VIN. The initial purchase cost includes the interface module that plugs into the Spyder and your computer.

At this time there is no third party program that will do what BUDS does. Some codes are automatically cleared from memory in due time, but most are not and must be cleared from memory with BUDS.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-18-2023 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added restricted comment & code comment

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    BUDS is BRP Utility Diagnostic System. BUDS was written for all the vehicles BRP builds. A BUDS license can be bought to cover only Spyders up to 2018. BUDS2 is written for machines later that 2018, and a license can also be bought to cover only Spyders. The megatech license for BUDS2 is sold only to cover all BRP machines, hence the much greater price. BUDS and BUDS2 regular license is restricted to making changes/updates to the basic features of the vehicle computer system. The megatech license allows you to muck around with virtually every aspect of the vehicle computer, including things like changing the vehicle VIN. The initial purchase cost includes the interface module that plugs into the Spyder and your computer.

At this time there is no third party program that will do what BUDS does. Some codes are automatically cleared from memory in due time, but most are not and must be cleared from memory with BUDS.
    Some minor corrections to what you've said. BUDS covers machines up to 2016 models. 2017 and later utilize BUDS2. Licenses can be bought that cover only Spyders/Rykers or any and all BRP products and for different durations. The Megatech license covers everything in much greater detail and works on BUDS and BUDS2. Either version of BUDS with any license is required not only for diagnostics, but to perform many servicing functions such as brake bleeding, steering angle offset after alignment, etc. And yes, you can change VIN numbers, with the Megatech license, but that is used in the case of having to replace either an entire engine or just a failed ECU, so that the ECU has the current VIN recorded in its' memory. Another popular use for the Megatech license is to disable the DESS system on earlier models that were prone to that failure.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red