Spyder Garage

Default All the Upgrades to my 2014 RTS

Being new to the forum, I haven’t had much experience with these things. However, retirement has a way of creating opportunities to expand one’s horizons, so consider the expansion program started. I have throughly enjoyed reading posts created by you; quite a few have triggered my creative juices while others have provided the “Gosh, I better go out and see if mine is doing the same thing,” moments. Many of you have performed modifications to your rides that I have done as well, however, I haven’t a clue how to post photos here so I created an upgrades album over in the gallery should you wish to see how I did a few of the mods others had questions completing. Someone had questions with adding a fuse block with runs for outlets and usb power, you can see how I tackled that issue via the album. If you want to see how Lamonster’s belt tensioner looks installed, see the album. How about clearance for the 9005 LEDS installed in the housing, see the album. Questions concerning satellite radio via blue tooth in the trunk? I’ve included a picture for that as well. Want to see the magnet placement for magic mirrors? Guess what, it’s like Ragu, it’s in there (for those that don’t remember the commercial, my apologies…). SpyderPetes gets the credit for the vinyl wrap on the bike; we got together back in 2017 to design what you see in the album and in SpyderPetes website. Lamonster supplied the mirrors, tensioner, and belt guard, Baja Ron’s provided the sway bar and links and SpyderPops got the nod for the rear lighting. The mud flap is my own design; had some spare stuff laying around the garage so decided to use it. Next is the fuel door, but it’s lost somewhere in the mail…. Special thanks to Blueknight911; we’re lucky to have him as member on this forum. Questions, comments? Fire away…

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, you have completed the scheduled maintenance items also. Brake system flush and bleed, coolant system flush and fill, suggest removing, cleaning, inspecting front drive pulley splines, then reassembling wet with Moly Paste. No doubt a proper laser alignment by a person well versed in the task. Ideally, disabling DESS. Plus installing a NoBoot windscreen support arm.

The 2014 RT series Spyders are established as one of the least troublesome versions. Granted the newest versions have more room for the riders, but if the 2014 fits, they are a very good machine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Hopefully, you have completed the scheduled maintenance items also. Brake system flush and bleed, coolant system flush and fill, suggest removing, cleaning, inspecting front drive pulley splines, then reassembling wet with Moly Paste. No doubt a proper laser alignment by a person well versed in the task. Ideally, disabling DESS. Plus installing a NoBoot windscreen support arm.

The 2014 RT series Spyders are established as one of the least troublesome versions. Granted the newest versions have more room for the riders, but if the 2014 fits, they are a very good machine.
    From what has been reported on this forum, only a very few 14 RT's ( very late builds ) had the Front Pulley issue. IMHO ( I have a 14 with over 72,000 mi.) unless that pulley has Red Dust , I wouldn't touch it........ good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

PMK, I have changed the oil, twice, since purchasing it in 2016. However there’s only 6300 miles on it so based on my service rep’s recommendation, I check the other fluids and maintenance items before I saddle up. I may never have the mileage some of you have on your rides so my schedule for maintenance will be based on time, not mileage. I’ll probably change the brake fluid in the next month or so and possibly the antifreeze in the spring. How do I disable DESS? Should I be concerned about it?

Blueknight911, I finally received the lost fuel door yesterday, however, the hardware is now delayed. If I were a superstitious man I might think about ordering a seat with the door already installed. But since I’m not that type of guy and not in the least bit superstitious…

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thyatt View Post
    PMK, I have changed the oil, twice, since purchasing it in 2016. However there’s only 6300 miles on it so based on my service rep’s recommendation, I check the other fluids and maintenance items before I saddle up. I may never have the mileage some of you have on your rides so my schedule for maintenance will be based on time, not mileage. I’ll probably change the brake fluid in the next month or so and possibly the antifreeze in the spring. How do I disable DESS? Should I be concerned about it?

Blueknight911, I finally received the lost fuel door yesterday, however, the hardware is now delayed. If I were a superstitious man I might think about ordering a seat with the door already installed. But since I’m not that type of guy and not in the least bit superstitious…
    Disabling DESS is owner preference. I suggest doing it to prevent being stranded at the worst time far from home. Then again, you may never have an issue with it.

Regarding flushing the brakes. For most owners, they should follow the recommended 2 calendar year schedule. It does make a difference having fresh brake fluid in the entire system. Also, no moisture in the fluid causing corrosion issues. I am sure you understand, if you went a bit longer than 2 years, ok. Just do not push it too far.

As for the coolant, my opinion is that the recommended 5 year interval is a bit too soon, but will not hurt anything. Typically 10 years would be the max in my opinion. FWIW, I did our first coolant flush and fill a couple months ago. So I went about 8 years on oem coolant. Brake fluid though has been done a couple times and will be done again before 2023 begins. Brakes still function fine, but the feel at the pedal is softer.

Spyder Garage

PMK, I serviced the brakes today while waiting for the adhesive to dry on my fuel door install so I’m now good to go. I was not able to find anything concerning DESS disables. I did find quite a bit about the dealership having the equipment and diagnostic tools to disable it, if they’re so inclined to do so. If I have to pay big bucks to the service tech to disable something that may become a problem, I would think someone with the smarts and know how has a solution and is just waiting for someone like me to ask very politely for their help…

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thyatt View Post
    PMK, I serviced the brakes today while waiting for the adhesive to dry on my fuel door install so I’m now good to go. I was not able to find anything concerning DESS disables. I did find quite a bit about the dealership having the equipment and diagnostic tools to disable it, if they’re so inclined to do so. If I have to pay big bucks to the service tech to disable something that may become a problem, I would think someone with the smarts and know how has a solution and is just waiting for someone like me to ask very politely for their help…
    Dunno if it will help you any, but we've got a 42 page thread here discussing DESS Disabling people's Spyders & the various fixes people have tried (mostly fruitlessly ) before finally resorting to disabling it, which definitely works each & every time!

Check it out here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...highlight=DESS

Or if you like to look for more than just that one thread, you could type 'DESS' into the Search field up in the top right corner of the page; click the 'Search Titles only' box; & then the magnifying glass to submit the search - you'll probably get about 9-10 pages or so of threads back in the results, mainly dating from 2014 on, and mainly put up by people who've been stuck somewhere due to their 'new & improved over the 2013 & earlier' DESS failing to work as intended.... . The 'new & upgraded' DESS might be a nice concept, but it's definitely poor testing & execution!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Pete, just read all 42 pages of information on the DESS system and problems associated with it. Gosh my head hurts! I haven’t had the problem yet; I was being proactive and don’t want to have the problem at all. Several folks mentioned having the test equipment and software to disable the system and I’m of the like mind to just disable it and not worry with it. I think PMK is one of those with the necessary equipment and is Florida based and I’m in Georgia, so it may be time for a road trip…