Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone installed a BRP hitch on a 2022 RT using all factory BRP parts?

I ordered a new rt limited from Imotorsports and when I purchased I asked about swapping my factory hitch off of my 2014 to the 2022. Imotorsports service manager said the hitch was the same and would work, I would just need to purchase a module and wiring harness. I bought it from them as part of the original purchase and asked that it be installed by them before shipping. During the delay in new machine deliveries, I started hearing about the axle shaft and axle bolt issues that people were talking about so asked Imotorsports to make sure that the new machine had the correct axle that would accept the axle bolt for the hitch install. Fast forward the machine was delivered and the axle bolt I had did not fit, so Imotorsports sent me the correct one, which was the same as what I had, and also did not fit. At this point, Imotorsports asked me if I could take to a local dealer and see if they could look at it and get a case opened with Brp, which I was not happy about. So, I did that and the local dealer contacted Brp and was told that Brp hasnít come put with the appropriate axle yet that will accept the axle shaft bolt. I also had to pay the local dealer $50 for their shop time on the non warranty issue.
    So, my question is has anyone installed a Brp hitch on a 2022 rt using all factory Brp parts? Specifically the axle bolt that slide into the bored put shaft bolt. If so, does anyone have a part number for the bolt?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The info you got from iMotorsports was only the info that BRP itself is still peddling to their dealers when asked - even if some people in various parts of BRP Head Office might know of the issue with hitches, there's clearly others that don't &/or are aware but not passing it on & still pushing the corporate line! (Oooh, where have we heard/seen BRP ever do that before! )

There's already been a fair bit of discussion on the various Forum about this issue, probably more on faceache etc too, and while we may not have heard specifically that it's been done here on this Forum, I've seen a couple now, so YES, there are 2022 RT Owners out there who've fitted a BRP Hitch onto their Spyders using all Factory BRP parts! BUT, the critical thing to be aware of is that they've had to source & use a 'earlier than 2021 axle' to accept the BRP 'thru axle bolt' that's part of the hitch.

AND there are others who have fitted the hitch only they've used a smaller diameter 'thru axle bolt' to go thru the small but existing 2022 axle 'hole' (AFAIK no-one has actually bored the 22 axle out to the correct diameter... yet?! Altho that has been discussed! ) which shouldn't really be an issue because the bolt is only there to hold the hitch arms together & make sure the hitch arms don't spread out & come off the Spyder's swing arms under load - but the major towing load is on the hitch arms & swing arms anyway, not really on the bolt! Check out these threads on the subject:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=Axle%3B+hitch

Good Luck!

Ps: Just a note about using the OEM part # - Admittedly I haven't checked, but from what I've heard, I dont believe that BRP has changed their part # for the axle itself, despite the 2022 axles coming from a different supplier & having a different dia hole thru their centre, so this has added to the difficulties dealers & owners have in sourcing the correct axles in order to fit the OEM Hitch. And it's why those owners who've been successful in fitting a hitch have ended up sourcing the axle from an earlier model themselves! Dealers can only order by the part #'s they've got, & if BRP is providing something that's neither suitable NOR the same as the earlier model axles when asked for that part #, there's seemingly not much the dealer can do; well, not unless they can sweet talk an owner of an earlier model Spyder who's not interested in fitting a ever into swapping their original axle for one of the 'new' axles that won't take the hitch 'thru axle bolt' that comes with the OEM hitch! It seems that the actual 2022 owners who successfully manage to fit a hitch are those having much better luck in doing that 'swap axles with the owner of an earlier Spyder' thing....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2022 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Correct final link with part # & Ps: note. ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Parts are available now. I installed a hitch on a friends 2022 F3L two weeks ago after she finally got the word from a local dealer that they had received the proper axle bolt. This was not the dealer she bought it from, yet it was still treated as a warranty item. As such, they would not give her the axle bolt for me to install; they insisted that they had to install it.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

For those of you who are looking to put a hitch on a 2022, there is a bulletin from BRP on the fix, and here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Attached is a pdf copy of the bulletin.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mac and Spydel, that is very helpful. Have forwarded a copy to my local vendor
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White